Fan's View 19/20 - Portsmouth Away

Excellent write up as ever. Maybe you should do a report on the walking football scene. It may help recruit a lot more players. I wish I was one, but arthritis doesn't make any kind of walking all that easy!!!!!:censored:

Good read as usual Paul, but you got it wrong re: remembrance silence etc.

It was a right mess up by Pompey. No one knew what was going on.
I agree with this. The pre-announced format was not followed. We found it very worrying that the veterans were left on the pitch for so long, particularly given the weather conditions. The players also were stood around for far longer than was acceptable. No wonder that the spectators went back to singing in all the confusion. Even the ref missed his part in signalling start and finish of the minute silence.
Mind you, Mr Toner got a lot wrong during the game too.

Possibly but everyone else was quiet and it didn't take a genius to work out that something was going on. If those singing were outside the ground or had not yet walked up the stairs to their seats then I stand to be corrected. It may be that this is another case of getting a different perspective when being in a different part of the ground. Perhaps it was a bit like Rotherham where home fans could see the clock but away fans could not. Home fans here could see a massive screen above the away fans.

Agree (with uptheus & lounger). Maybe there was information about what was going on on the scoreboard - but (in Block M at least) there was nothing to tell us what was happening other than an announcement that turned out misleading, maybe because the referee went haywire. The singing was, I think, behind the stand from a group coming into the ground; if you heard others, fair enough.

This post crossed PB's post.

Possibly but everyone else was quiet and it didn't take a genius to work out that something was going on. If those singing were outside the ground or had not yet walked up the stairs to their seats then I stand to be corrected. It may be that this is another case of getting a different perspective when being in a different part of the ground. Perhaps it was a bit like Rotherham where home fans could see the clock but away fans could not. Home fans here could see a massive screen above the away fans.

I still don't understand what was going on.. The military were clapped onto the playing surface and then suddenly the crowd went silent for some 2 minutes waiting for the players.
We then had some songs started from the front right which Pompey boo'ed so they stopped.
About 40-50 seconds into this we had the announcement that the last post would signify the start of the minutes silence and the ref would end it on the whistle. I still don't understand why silence would precede this. The players came out to cheering from both sides. They shall not grow old was read over the tannoy, impeccably listened to and the players exchanged wreaths. The last post was played and only the military observed the actual minutes silence on the pitch as the players and refs all got themselves ready and warmed back up.

Very good.
But as others have pointed out, the Last Post etc was a shambles entirely of Pompey's making. It was not at all clear when the silence was supposed to be observed.

My Dad was a Normandy Veteran & he would have been appalled at Pompey's organisation of the Remembrance Ceremony - it seemed nobody knew what was supposed to happen - including the Ref who carried on that way throughout the game!!

The chanting was from a group of our supporters who were late arriving - I don't blame them in any way.

A good read Paul and glad you put the bit in about the small group singing during the mins silence and being politely told to be quiet

My Dad was a Normandy Veteran & he would have been appalled at Pompey's organisation of the Remembrance Ceremony - it seemed nobody knew what was supposed to happen - including the Ref who carried on that way throughout the game!!

The chanting was from a group of our supporters who were late arriving - I don't blame them in any way.
much respect for your dad

Always interesting to watch an away game from the home stands Paul. Pompey fans always seem a decent bunch to me; can understand their frustration with Jackett who came across as a bit of a condemned man on local radio post match. Marquis looked a shadow of the player he was at Doncaster, looked like he was playing to instruction and wasn’t allowed to roam. Didn’t rate Pompey’s defence much, the central defenders were very statuesque.
As for the Remembrance Day observance it was extremely badly organised. What a pity for those wonderful gentlemen on the pitch. Oxford fans were understandably confused by all the delay and should not be hammered too much.

Excellent summary Paul. Thanks. Have for some time been thinking I need to get into Walking Football as it sounds very sociable in addition to the exercise. Just out of interest where did you play local football as we may have been on the same pitch many moons ago.

Cheers people. I think there's enough here for me to update my post. When I get round to it later it should be the last post on the matter.
I have now added an additional paragraph. Once again thanks for putting me right.

Excellent summary Paul. Thanks. Have for some time been thinking I need to get into Walking Football as it sounds very sociable in addition to the exercise. Just out of interest where did you play local football as we may have been on the same pitch many moons ago.

Being totally honest I initially just didn’t get walking football. My thought were if you are going to go for a ball you get there as quickly as you possibly can. I couldn’t help thinking of the walking event in the Olympics. More mincing than walking.

Then mates started playing and I was persuaded to go along and give it a go. I was blowing and absolutely shattered after 5 minutes. It is way harder than I imagined and this summer I ached for three or four days after playing in a tournament. But I love it. There’s a lot of skill involved and I’m much fitter than I was. And as you mention the social side is excellent. With the Bicester Fossils I’ve had a go at go-karting and foot golf. Something I wouldn’t have done otherwise. That’s in addition to pool, darts, quizzes and 10 pin bowling.

My local football was Jersey League stuff – Fritwell, Marsh Gibbon, Brew XI (Based at Bicester Ex-Services), Bardwell A and Harlan Commets. Also had a season with Bicester United Res in the Senior League – training twice a week. I was a bit too lazy for that really.

That’s another thing with walking football – swapping stories from the old days when people realised they’d played against each other or even with each other. And as some have said - I never dreamed I’d be doing this again let alone scoring the odd goal here and there.

I agree. At what point in all that were we supposed to be acknowledging a minute’s silence?!

Odd to label it a small group singing at that point, watching a video of it most of the away end were singing in the so called "wrong moment". Wasn't during the minute silence, nowhere to suggest silence was happening, just a total cock up by Portsmouth FC and no information relaid to fans in the stands

Odd to label it a small group singing at that point, watching a video of it most of the away end were singing in the so called "wrong moment". Wasn't during the minute silence, nowhere to suggest silence was happening, just a total cock up by Portsmouth FC and no information relaid to fans in the stands
From where I was sitting there was a time when it was all quiet then a small group starting singing "yellows". Someone yelled at them to stop and they did. As I said earlier I have now added an additional paragraph to put the record straight.

Are you referring to VAR??

Back
Top Bottom