Ashes News England V Ireland ashes warm up test match

Lets be honest that was no where near our ashes first 11. No need to panic after one days cricket, even though Ireland deserve great credit for how they played. Especially when bowling.
4 of the top 6 will be in the top 6 of our Ashes 11 I reckon. Take out Denly and Mo and put in Buttler and Stokes and there's the top 6.

4 of the top 6 will be in the top 6 of our Ashes 11 I reckon. Take out Denly and Mo and put in Buttler and Stokes and there's the top 6.
And Denly may also play.
It is mostly the Test batting line up with Buttler who will come in probably at 6/7 and stokes at 5.

Sadly, I don't think we can trust Mooen to be anything but a number 8 who will get a good looking 2- before getting out. His form is in a terminal decline and shows no sign of getting better

I’d open with Roy and Bairstow in the test format. They clearly have an understanding when batting together, and always build a good partnership. Bairstow could help Roy a lot, by transferring his one day form to the five day format. That’s been a big problem area for England since Strauss retired. We tried so many combinations with Cook, but none of them were worthy.

Lyth had his chance, and so did Stoneman. Keaton Jennings is not good enough either.

It’s a good opportunity for Jason Roy, and he could be deadly opening. I think he could be as dangerous as Virender Sehwag was for India.

I’d open with Roy and Bairstow in the test format. They clearly have an understanding when batting together, and always build a good partnership. Bairstow could help Roy a lot, by transferring his one day form to the five day format. That’s been a big problem area for England since Strauss retired. We tried so many combinations with Cook, but none of them were worthy.

Lyth had his chance, and so did Stoneman. Keaton Jennings is not good enough either.

It’s a good opportunity for Jason Roy, and he could be deadly opening. I think he could be as dangerous as Virender Sehwag was for India.
No dont agree. Got to give Burns a chance. Second highest run scorer in Sri Lanka and has not played in a test at home before this one. He is also Roy's county team mate and has been one of the highest run scorers in county cricket for the last three seasons. Bairstow is much more suited to coming in lower down. I know he doesn't like it but for the sake of the team Root has to come in at three.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Jack Leach .... usually bats at 11.... is England's highest scoring batsman(so far) in this one off test match

currently on 33

thats the 50 mark passed in the second innings 13 overs - 54-1

Leach and Roy pass their 50 run partnership.... and nightwatchman Leach passes his 50

first half century for any England test opener for quite a while

89-1

Leach gets his 50. 89/1

Last time an English night watchman scores big was Alex Tudor 99 I think he scored

Well the real good news is that Roy has a 50.
Hopefully he will go onto a big score.
He can play Starc as shown (sure in a different format of the game), so who knows whether we have found an opener.

Scores level and break for lunch ... hope Leach and Roy carry on from where they left off & bat sensibly remembering its a test match, not limited overs, so no need to take any risks

Well the real good news is that Roy has a 50.
Hopefully he will go onto a big score.
He can play Starc as shown (sure in a different format of the game), so who knows whether we have found an opener.
maiden test 50 ( in his second innings), from 47 balls .... yep, hope he can go on and get a big score

Yeah he was.

Graham Thorpe was the knobhead who hit the winning runs. He was the KP character of that England side. Talented but objectionable.

This is a lot better from England for this Test but doesn’t solve any problems ahead of the Ashes. Burns is looking somewhat exposed now and Leach’s brilliant innings is disguising a top order failing from someone we all thought would be opening. What do England do? Promote Root? Throw Crawley in and cross fingers? Open with Bairstow and Roy a la the ODI side?

FWIW, the main difference between England and Australia is that the Aussies have two proven batsmen who could take the game away from you in Warner and Smith. England really only have one top order person who can do that with Root. Stokes, Buttler, Moeen (when on song) and Bairstow can all bat but they don’t tend to be the anchors. Since Cook retired, England have only had one person to put their faith in. Aussies have two huge names.

I agree with Michael Vaughan though that this will be a bowler’s Ashes. Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Archer, Curran – so much bowling talent but mediocre batting I feel.

England pass the 150 mark with a Roy boundary .... 155-1 now

Graham Thorpe was the knobhead who hit the winning runs. He was the KP character of that England side. Talented but objectionable.

This is a lot better from England for this Test but doesn’t solve any problems ahead of the Ashes. Burns is looking somewhat exposed now and Leach’s brilliant innings is disguising a top order failing from someone we all thought would be opening. What do England do? Promote Root? Throw Crawley in and cross fingers? Open with Bairstow and Roy a la the ODI side?

FWIW, the main difference between England and Australia is that the Aussies have two proven batsmen who could take the game away from you in Warner and Smith. England really only have one top order person who can do that with Root. Stokes, Buttler, Moeen (when on song) and Bairstow can all bat but they don’t tend to be the anchors. Since Cook retired, England have only had one person to put their faith in. Aussies have two huge names.

I agree with Michael Vaughan though that this will be a bowler’s Ashes. Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Archer, Curran – so much bowling talent but mediocre batting I feel.
Maybe open with Leach...

Some think that Patterson will. Be in for Hazelwood which could make their attack better?

Back
Top Bottom