International News Donald Trump 🍊🇺🇸

That’s exactly his modus operandi, and why he is dangerous. He’s never fully committed to these statements so that in the future he has the option of saying either “hey guys I was kidding” or “I told you that was my policy so you can’t complain now”. I can even see you bending over for it right now GB: On the one hand the NHS comments are “trolling” but on the other it was no surprised that he shafted the EPA. I can just see the post in 3 years “well, the US taking over our health system was no surprise - he even announced when his visited the UK”. The combination of his arrogant and informal approach to “policy announcements”, and the lazy, complacent thinking of his supporters is a recipe for authoritarianism.

So what he appointed an ultra Conservative judge? It's completely irrelevant as someone else will do the same for the left and all of a sudden, the issue will just go away. It's the fact the Supreme Court in the US isn't teetering left for the first time in years that has them worried, but it's not some crime is it? We have the ability to have different views and at times, courts will or won't swing in our favour. There is a real gripe over Mitch McConnell's conduct over stringing the process out under Saint Obama - it was unseemly and wrong - but sadly both sides are as grubby as the other.

Actually, Obama did. Twice. From a US perspective, both Kagan & Sotomayor are ultra Liberal (as well as being young enough to potentially sit on the court for decades)......

For me, the big problem is that the US Supreme Court has become a legislative weapon.
The US constitution is very clear how it is supposed to run - Congress makes laws, or the President makes executive decisions, and the Supreme Court confirms that they are (or are not) consistent with the constitution. But because Congress has become so deadlocked and incapable of actually legislating anything, the Supreme Court has become the main political tool for enacting genuine lasting reform in the country.

Hence you've got situations like the notorious RBG who's old and infirm, but is going to be sitting on the court until they take her out in a wooden box, or there's another Democratic president in power.

What ought to happen is that the two sides agree to come together and select compromise candidates that both sides can live with, who get the position on the grounds of their legal competence. But with politics becoming more and more polarized, I don't see that happening any time soon and instead the Supreme Court fun and games are just going to get more and more ridiculous as time goes by.....

Well the fact that the Tories are trying to privatise the NHS by the back door is hardly a cause for celebration is it? And it's certainly not a reason to completely bend over backwards to give the rest away to corporate America!
You can't just excuse this by claiming his more outlandish comments are 'trolling'.
That’s exactly his modus operandi, and why he is dangerous. He’s never fully committed to these statements so that in the future he has the option of saying either “hey guys I was kidding” or “I told you that was my policy so you can’t complain now”. I can even see you bending over for it right now GB: On the one hand the NHS comments are “trolling” but on the other it was no surprised that he shafted the EPA. I can just see the post in 3 years “well, the US taking over our health system was no surprise - he even announced when his visited the UK”. The combination of his arrogant and informal approach to “policy announcements”, and the lazy, complacent thinking of his supporters is a recipe for authoritarianism.
I didn't say it was a cause for celebration - or give an opinion. In fact, some US firms are already working in the NHS already aren't they?

And to be fair, other comments re: trade were it's all on the table until we take it off when we negotiate. While I'm not a fan of the bloated NHS structure now, full privatisation is as bad IMHO. I see no indication from anyone in politics to want to fully privatise the NHS or want to further admit US firms as some are calling "wolf" on. If tendering changes as some in the NHS want, it will further restrict private firms from large contracts. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill eh?

Actually, Obama did. Twice. From a US perspective, both Kagan & Sotomayor are ultra Liberal (as well as being young enough to potentially sit on the court for decades)......

For me, the big problem is that the US Supreme Court has become a legislative weapon.
The US constitution is very clear how it is supposed to run - Congress makes laws, or the President makes executive decisions, and the Supreme Court confirms that they are (or are not) consistent with the constitution. But because Congress has become so deadlocked and incapable of actually legislating anything, the Supreme Court has become the main political tool for enacting genuine lasting reform in the country.

Hence you've got situations like the notorious RBG who's old and infirm, but is going to be sitting on the court until they take her out in a wooden box, or there's another Democratic president in power.

What ought to happen is that the two sides agree to come together and select compromise candidates that both sides can live with, who get the position on the grounds of their legal competence. But with politics becoming more and more polarized, I don't see that happening any time soon and instead the Supreme Court fun and games are just going to get more and more ridiculous as time goes by.....
And that's my entire point. The politicking of courts is troubling and Trump is another in the line of politicians sticking their thumb on the scales for their side - but for some, it's a problem now because Trump rather than being constitutionally unsound.

Trump made a deal with the Federalist Society (?) on judges so he could make it easier to appoint to the Supreme Court and that is what we see with the last 2 appointments. 2 very traditional people with a strict interpretation of the constitution.

Can I just say that, without serious intervention, the NHS won`t last another 10 years. I know I work in it.
Our Trust just missed their financial targets by ÂŁ29.1 million. 1 trust out of many & plenty are worse.
The NHS will consume every last penny thrown at it and more, yet there are still rafts of people employed within that provide no value to the front line services but absorb a lot of the money.
It needs some private sector ethos applied or it will die on its feet........... or you/me/we will be taxed to death to fund it.

I don't think anyone would deny that the NHS needs reform EY. Political tinkering over the years - which seems to have led somehow to both incredible waste and huge pressure on staff at the same time! - and an ageing (but longer-living) population as well as expensive new treatments and equipment have made that inevitable and urgently required. I'm certain you know that better than most of us, of course. I think there is a difference though between 'some private sector ethos' - learning and applying lessons from the private sector is eminently sensible - and turning the NHS into a US-style for-profit system with any money made/saved going straight out of the service and out of the country. The Americans do of course pay a fortune for their health needs through insurance - a tax by any another means.

Reform the NHS by all means. I have no knowledge of how the NHS operates and limited experience of using the service,but logic tells you that in any organisation of 1.5 million employees spending ÂŁ130 billion per year there might be room for improved procedures, purchasing protocols etc.

So who will identify the reforms necessary and implement them? The NHS itself? Private businesses looking at individual 'profit centres' and adjusting investment accordingly? Academics taking a non-partisan view of all NHS sectors and making recommendations based on need?

My guess is that even setting the guidelines for any reform would be so complex that it will never be done. Which leaves us with three possible scenarios:

1. Continue as we are, with the NHS haemorrhaging funds and being 'topped up' by whatever peanuts the government of the day can move from other budgets;

2. To increase base rate tax by, say, 2p in the pound (and who would object to that?) to at least give the NHS adequate budget to reduce waiting times at A&E and in the operating theatres. This would not solve any underlying problems of waste, but at least provide a better service;

3. Hand the whole thing over to private business. Make each Trust - or even individual hospital - responsible for balancing its own books, ensuring that any part of the NHS that doesn't generate a profit is punished. Privatisation is already happening via the back door, including US companies, so let's expedite it for the good of the country.

There might be other options. Any ideas?

4. Taking the NHS out of the hands of the Westminister Govts and set up a cross party Parliamentary/Independent Board that oversees strategy that feeds down.

De-politicises the issue and allows the organisation to make radical decisions/changes (if/where necessary) which at the moment are difficult or unlikely to happen due to the pressure of politics.I have a very brief experience of this where a radical new approach to partnership working was stopped for political reasons albeit at a local level. I also have experience of some radical changes (for the NHS/local Govt) and they worked well early on until politics screwed them up as well.

As part of this facilitate closer partnership working between the NHS/Local Govt and switch appropriate budgets between the bodies or create joint organisations that then take control of those budgets. This can be done as I have experience of this between Local Govt and the NHS. For example, all health funds and Social Care funds in Local Govt should get transferred to the NHS so that a joined up system can be formed rather than a sticking plaster approach that has gone on since the 90s. This would long term, with planning imo (and that of a lot of my ex-colleagues in Social Services too) free up bed blocking etc if funding was moved into this process of which would could come from savings in the same people bed blocking (by home care etc).

Joined up policy between all civic authorities (Local Govt, NHS, Police etc) must be introduced and that did happen, although maybe not to low enough level within the various organisations though, when we had the NHS Strategic Planning Authorities*.

Properly funding areas with joined up policy that are peripheral to Hospitals/Doctors like home care (under my plan now under the NHS) will also in the long term save money as it is vastly cheaper to treat people at home rather than in a residential home. There are areas in the NHS and Local Govt that need to be properly funded which will ease the pressure on the Hospitals, doctors and other public services ultimately saving money, such as properly funding mental health (save some of the pressure on Police for instance) and areas like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48498763. This is front loading cost but ultimately makes greater long term savings as demand is reduced which allows the Hospitals to plan its resources strategically and tactically reducing waste etc. This will also have long term benefits for other civic bodies (such as described in the above article) and for other areas of society.

*The Tories changed these into the Clinical Commissioning Groups which was a pointless change, when in reality all they needed to do was to place a Strategy board above the existing structure that is made up of Doctors etc which would have done the same job. I know of plenty of staff who were made redundant from the original body with a pay off that then immediately got employed by the new body. This is the classic issue of politicising the NHS where one Govt does one thing and the next Govt rather than see if the changes are working (in this Strategic Planning Authority it seemed to be) they immediately change it for dogmatic political reasons (all Parties have done this). By not allowing previous changes to structures and working practices to go through the full change process, any potential benefits are lost and this has been my experience of working in Local Govt, which is basically being in a continuous change process without ever ending.

I like that idea the most, making the NHS independent from politics like the BoE seems like a no-brainer. The trouble is that people will argue that when such a vast amount of money is being spent, there's no way that it can't be political.

Also, I think that the NHS needs to be given a lump sum on top of its budget every 5 years or so in order to upgrade equipment, computer systems, buildings etc. This would mirror what happens in the private sector, where a restaurant may get a refurb or a football club may get a significant transfer budget.

It’s a great idea, but who would fund it? That makes it political.
I agree the NHS is seriously underfunded and shouldn’t have to be sending patients overseas for operations.
Most agree the whole organisation is top heavy but not sure I favour the idea of more matrons.
More nurses, more training and a long term refurbishment programme using in house staff rather than outside contractors ripping off the NHS ( the tax payer)

4. Taking the NHS out of the hands of the Westminister Govts and set up a cross party Parliamentary/Independent Board that oversees strategy that feeds down.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

I agree the NHS is seriously underfunded and shouldn’t have to be sending patients overseas for operations.
Most agree the whole organisation is top heavy but not sure I favour the idea of more matrons.
More nurses, more training and a long term refurbishment programme using in house staff rather than outside contractors ripping off the NHS ( the tax payer)
This is the problem with so many situations where an independent body is needed. How can anyone remain independent when it is relying on someon else for funding.
This would not only be the NHS, but also those organisations that look into complaints about the police, NHS, schools, etc, etc, they may profess to be independent, but they are either investigating their paymasters or have had to have come from within the system they are subsequently investigating to acquire the skills and knowledge to know whether things have been done right or wrong.

By de-politicising it, I mean take it out of being a political football at elections so Govts feel they have to alter/change things for the sake of doing so (and this has happened as I've previously explained) which the following would do and has been proposed by a number of MPs of all political persuasions.

The model suggested has been along the lines of the BBC in terms of the Strategic/oversight Board in control. The funding model would be a financial settlement with a guaranteed amount (uplifted each year by inflation) and would last anywhere between 10-20 years so the NHS can plan short term, medium term and longer term.

The financial settlement would be a negotiation between Parliament/Govt and the NHS and I've seen 15 years as being a favoured term for each settlement. Every organisation I've had dealings with in the public sector, the Local Govt Association and the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy have long argued for Public Sector organisations to have longer term financial settlements so they can actually plan strategically and tactically with some confidence.

There is already a growing cross party support for this approach in Parliament but it has been overshadowed by other priorities obviously.

Last edited:
snowflakes snowflakes all over this forum spreading fake news which they actually believe ......Trump didnt even know what the NHS was ......you thickos

snowflakes snowflakes all over this forum spreading fake news which they actually believe ......Trump didnt even know what the NHS was ......you thickos

Ha ha ha!

The US owns 45% of the global pharmaceutical market, the UK could be facing de-regulation, and Trump doesn't know what the NHS is? Genius!

I think you've stretched your parody of yourself beyond credibility this time.

I see someone burst the Trump balloon at the protest yesterday and got arrested for it - amazing result for the Met Police there ? .

Really..that’s crazy. I suppose they had a task force specially dedicated to doing that

Back
Top Bottom