International News Donald Trump 🍊🇺🇸

At the end of the day, Tump, like it or not is democratically elected. I won’t pretend to like him or his right wing views.
USA is a long standing friend of this country and yes we should be critical of what Trump says at times. He doesn’t always deliver on his promises either.
I remember something about a wall being between Mexico and the USA back in 2016. Hasn’t happened and maybe never will. It’s just all sabre rattling

So the fact that he is democratically elected means we should 'respect him' personally and not say anything about some of his views? Or is it the fact that he can't always implement his loopier ideas? Or the fact that a post-Brexit Britain might be hostage to a US trade deal?

It’s a viewpoint I agree, Pete.
I loathe his right wing views on immigrants and women, as most do.
But I don’t think continual protests are the answer. Trump thrives on those and controversy follows him everywhere he goes, because he is an attention seeker.
Every time he opens his mouth the markets move which many people like me dislike.
There is a presidential election next year, so maybe he is gone by then

At the end of the day, Tump, like it or not is democratically elected. I won’t pretend to like him or his right wing views.
USA is a long standing friend of this country and yes we should be critical of what Trump says at times. He doesn’t always deliver on his promises either.
I remember something about a wall being between Mexico and the USA back in 2016. Hasn’t happened and maybe never will. It’s just all sabre rattling
It is just like here - when the alternatives are old establishment who did you no favours, there is for many no other option. Extreme case of mainstream politicians out of touch with voters and allowing vermin in - oh hold on, Le Pen, Salvini, AfD, Vox, and even in conservative Sweden the anti immigration democrats scored huge. The establishment have been asleep. The public have given up on them. The media have misled and the sheep just bleat, as they watch on and allow far right/nationalist policies to be thrown about like they are the norm.

Give him respect. The USA is a long standing friend. Just because anyone disagrees with his policies doesn’t mean that we should insult him with balloons and take positions like Khan does. When we leave the EU we will need them as a trading partner.

Doesn’t mean he should insult an elected official either. Imagine our PM flying in and insulting the Mayor of New York.

Trump looks like a cat who got the cream tonight, and the Queen has worked her charms on an "extremist" and made him nervous. For a man who doesn't care about protocol, he clearly looks to care deeply in his "moment" and not mess it up. Just shows what one can do when someone isn't shrieking all the time and can be adaptable.

As for policy, the biggest issue with Trump is he part of a recent change in politics that is eroding the recent norms and mindsets. I don't agree on Roe vs Wade, but when you consider that some states are deeply religious, it's not a large surprise to see it still be debated and things swing the other way. Democracies have to ebb and flow otherwise they become dictatorships, and at times things happen we don't agree with. It doesn't make one an extremist though.

Trump looks like a cat who got the cream tonight, and the Queen has worked her charms on an "extremist" and made him nervous. For a man who doesn't care about protocol, he clearly looks to care deeply in his "moment" and not mess it up. Just shows what one can do when someone isn't shrieking all the time and can be adaptable.

As for policy, the biggest issue with Trump is he part of a recent change in politics that is eroding the recent norms and mindsets. I don't agree on Roe vs Wade, but when you consider that some states are deeply religious, it's not a large surprise to see it still be debated and things swing the other way. Democracies have to ebb and flow otherwise they become dictatorships, and at times things happen we don't agree with. It doesn't make one an extremist though.

The abortion laws that those states are looking to bring in are extremist though, ie. a woman made pregnant by rape cannot have an abortion.

The abortion laws that those states are looking to bring in are extremist though, ie. a woman made pregnant by rape cannot have an abortion.
I do agree, but it doesn't make him an extremist of fascist or whatever the latest trope is.

If you consider the Bible as the true word of God, then there are certain items in modern life that don't correlate well with it. It's what I call the Tim Farron Clause. You either go against your beliefs to keep your position or are put in a position where it is hard to have a public profile. In some respects, it's a form of discrimination.

At the end of the day, Tump, like it or not is democratically elected.

Hitler was democratically elected*

Have I just automatically lost the argument?

*sort of, it's complicated

If you believe that you’ll believe anything. If you consider Nazi stormtroopers guarding the ballot boxes as democratic.
Yes you’ve lost the argument

If you believe that you’ll believe anything. If you consider Nazi stormtroopers guarding the ballot boxes as democratic.
Yes you’ve lost the argument

1932, 1933. Presidential, Federal.

Who was chancellor when the Stormtroopers guarded the ballot boxes?

I do agree, but it doesn't make him an extremist of fascist or whatever the latest trope is.

If you consider the Bible as the true word of God, then there are certain items in modern life that don't correlate well with it. It's what I call the Tim Farron Clause. You either go against your beliefs to keep your position or are put in a position where it is hard to have a public profile. In some respects, it's a form of discrimination.
Errm, by believing every literal word of a load of myths from 2000 years ago (with a layer of later stuff on top) and then seeking to impose them wholesale on other people who do not have the same views then yes you are an extremist. Whichever particular God you choose to believe in. It is perfectly possible to have your own beliefs without demonising and marginalising everybody else. Whether that means oppressing women in Saudi Arabia or forcing female rape victims to give birth in the good ole USA - it is wrong.

Errm, by believing every literal word of a load of myths from 2000 years ago (with a layer of later stuff on top) and then seeking to impose them wholesale on other people who do not have the same views then yes you are an extremist. Whichever particular God you choose to believe in. It is perfectly possible to have your own beliefs without demonising and marginalising everybody else. Whether that means oppressing women in Saudi Arabia or forcing female rape victims to give birth in the good ole USA - it is wrong.
Again. I do agree - I don't agree with the ban on abortion but the USA is a Christian country after all, where we are, but in reality aren't. Contrarily, forcing the policy of Abortion onto Christians as like or leave it, is as bad as banning Abortion outright for others. And the tit for tat swing from one side to another is not good for the future. But I don't agree with the ban, to be clear.

I'll leave it there for the sake of the thread.

Trump's policies are those of an extremist (through mostly convenience for him as I don't think he cares that much being a narcissist unless it benefits him personally) in the main.

Selecting a ultra conservative judge for the Supreme Court who is publically very anti-abortion has laid the groundwork for these state laws. Something Trump has done working with the alt right/Christian ultra conservatives. Yet these same people criticise Islamic countries for similar outcomes!

His decimation of environmental protections is that of an extremist, he is pretty much evangelical with his view on this subject.

His targeting of Islamic countries for travel bans, when his claimed evidence is shown to be utter rubbish, is that of an extremist. His comments/rhetoric about Mexicans being rapists etc are the actions of an extremist.

His trying to ignore the law of the land/checks and balances in the system which mimic the actions of dictators in other countries in trying to get his policies through (ie. Claiming fake "National Emergencies"). This approach seems to follow the approach of those he admires such as Putin etc.

Sometimes countries need strong leaders, look what happens when the "Civilised West" takes them out and what fills the vacuum.

Immigration & travel bans.... sorry I don`t see anything wrong with choosing who you let in, for the benefit of the country, and declining those who you don`t want.

Unconventional yes............. a "new" fascist dictator? No.

Sometimes countries need strong leaders, look what happens when the "Civilised West" takes them out and what fills the vacuum.

Immigration & travel bans.... sorry I don`t see anything wrong with choosing who you let in, for the benefit of the country, and declining those who you don`t want.

Unconventional yes............. a "new" fascist dictator? No.

When that choosing who you let in it is based on discrimination (ie. People of a particular religion) it is extremism. I never called him a fascist by the way but did call him a narcissist.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom