International News Covid-19 .....

I was double jabbed and caught it, as was my missus, wasn’t to bad for me, the missus had it a little worse but nothing to serious (plus she loves a moan).

Its obviously hard to know what affect the vaccines had on it, but given the likelihood that you are going to catch it at sometime in the future as it’s not going anywhere and we were always going to have come to terms with living with it as the alternative is financial ruin, then I am glad I at least tried to stack the cards a bit in my favour and got vaccinated.

This could also touch on the Brexit thread, but I thought I would share some of the impacts here in Asia.

Hong Kong - A lot of foreigners/expats have left, not really due to the issues with China, but due to Covid, restrictions on travel (have to quarantine for 21 days in appointed hotel = expensive), inability to travel out of a small country. Shipping is more expensive and ships/containers in short supply. Also, some companies, looking at their footprint in Hong Kong.
Singapore - Very few Visa's being issued, also some say different rules for locals vs foreigners, inability to travel, still has some restrictions. Also, some high profile incidents involving Brits and other nationalities
Philippines - Still under strict conditions, again lots of foreigners have returned to their home countries. Inability to travel, even inside the country.
Japan - Hasnt issued Work Visa's for over a year. SoE still in place.
Malaysia - We are following the UK, but still record numbers, but things are slowly opening up. Again, very few work visa's being issued, and little foreign talent coming in. A large number of foreigners, including British have left and returned home.

These are just some, and the impression, certainly for the UK, is that a lot of Brits, living or working abroad have returned home and these countries now have to rely on local talent.

Don`t tag @QR or @Sheik djibouti for gods sake it is ALL down to BREXIT there are no problems anywhere else in the world. :)

Cases have scored since schools went back in Scotland it will exactly the same here.

Cases have scored since schools went back in Scotland it will exactly the same here.
20 a season ? , dont tell @bazzer9461 :rolleyes: ;) ...... seriously though, yes , as schools go back there will very likely be an increase of positive tests for covid over the coming weeks

20 a season ? , dont tell @bazzer9461 :rolleyes: ;) ...... seriously though, yes , as schools go back there will very likely be an increase of positive tests for covid over the coming weeks

True. More tests will be done so there will be more cases. The more important metric, in my view, is positivity (I.e proportion of tests that become positiv), which indicates whether there are more actual infections.
Let's see what happens.

Looks as though this decision has been taken purely based on does it benefit the children & not taken into account the impact of the greater community.

Same reasoning why chickenpox is not offered as part of routine immunisations as it would leave unvaccinated children more susceptible to contracting the virus as an adult. There could also be a significant increase in shingles cases as being exposed to infected children boosts immunity to this.

Open a window the little fudgers will be whining its "too cold" and the teachers will be on strike............ put a coat on. :)

Ask yourself why it is only NOW said "experts" have raised their 9 point plan? Where were they 4 months ago ?
So they suggested that over 12's should be offered vaccinations.
The 'experts' don't seem to agree on that

Open a window the little fudgers will be whining its "too cold" and the teachers will be on strike............ put a coat on. :)

Ask yourself why it is only NOW said "experts" have raised their 9 point plan? Where were they 4 months ago ?
Many have been shouting all summer long if you know where to look, it's just the press doesn't report on it. I wonder which online and 'in your hands' journals will report this time around?

And anyway shouldn't it be the Education Secretary coming up with the mitigation plans? 😡

Many have been shouting all summer long if you know where to look, it's just the press doesn't report on it. I wonder which online and 'in your hands' journals will report this time around?

And anyway shouldn't it be the Education Secretary coming up with the mitigation plans? 😡

Not solely no!
1. It's a health problem AS WELL AS an education problem.
2. There are around 32,000 schools and every single one will be structurally different from Victorian to new-builds.
3. At best he can make recommendations, or risk being accused of being "draconian".
4. Simple mitigations - hands, face ,space and open windows & doors don`t need the input of the Education Secretary, we all kind of know by now.
5. Round these parts Headteachers have reintroduced bubbles to cope with positive cases.
6. Testing - LFT`s twice a week are standard around here.

And yes those experts have published their recommendations............... AFTER said sprogs have started going back to school.

Do broaden your horizons a bit.. ;)

Not solely no!
1. It's a health problem AS WELL AS an education problem.
2. There are around 32,000 schools and every single one will be structurally different from Victorian to new-builds.
3. At best he can make recommendations, or risk being accused of being "draconian".
4. Simple mitigations - hands, face ,space and open windows & doors don`t need the input of the Education Secretary, we all kind of know by now.
5. Round these parts Headteachers have reintroduced bubbles to cope with positive cases.
6. Testing - LFT`s twice a week are standard around here.

And yes those experts have published their recommendations............... AFTER said sprogs have started going back to school.

Do broaden your horizons a bit.. ;)
Half of their suggestions aren't new.20210903_183510.png They can't be 'reinstated' until they've been removed.

1. JCVI (the scientists) say no.
2. Being done based on local numbers.
3. Rolling out 32,000 schools is a lot of classrooms.
4. Being done locally.
5. There is a tracing system.
6. Not an education responsibility.
7. 100% agree.
8. Be honest - many parents wouldn`t know what "learning modality" is let alone make the best choice for the child.
9. Plenty of MH services out there.

Next....

Same reasoning why chickenpox is not offered as part of routine immunisations as it would leave unvaccinated children more susceptible to contracting the virus as an adult. There could also be a significant increase in shingles cases as being exposed to infected children boosts immunity to this.
Weird one isn’t it. I’m pro vaccine but if my son was old enough to have it I have to admit I’d be 50/50.

Likely a psychological thing but I’d like to know how it plays out during development to adulthood. Even writing it doesn’t make sense but I think this is the level we’ve reached in terms of acceptance.

I know @radicalox suggested immense pressure on the JCVI from govt. to allow it but I’d not rule against a fair amount of pressure from the CRG et al. on not allowing it.

Can understand the logic/knowledge you’ve presented though.

Back
Top Bottom