International News Covid-19 .....

Weird one isn’t it. I’m pro vaccine but if my son was old enough to have it I have to admit I’d be 50/50.

Likely a psychological thing but I’d like to know how it plays out during development to adulthood. Even writing it doesn’t make sense but I think this is the level we’ve reached in terms of acceptance.

I know @radicalox suggested immense pressure on the JCVI from govt. to allow it but I’d not rule against a fair amount of pressure from the CRG et al. on not allowing it.

Can understand the logic/knowledge you’ve presented though.

Lots of research going on into Long Covid and how that is impacting on adults and children.
Then that has to be balanced against the risks of the "chickenpox situation" eg: Let kids get chickenpox (Covid) so they become naturally immune in later life. Then Long Covid is the adult chickenpox/shingles for those not immune or vaccinated. However that depends how many kids develop Long Covid problems..... its complex!

Covid vaccine is one thing.

Flu jab is another.

The headline should read "some" GP Surgeries.... ho hum.
The reason given for the cancellations is a lack of supply due to the lack of HGV drivers. It would affect both I would imagine.

Covid vaccine is one thing.

Flu jab is another.

The headline should read "some" GP Surgeries.... ho hum.
Maybe I wasnt paying much attention at the time, but I can vaguely recall a news report alluding that the intention (at the appropriate time) was to give those eligible a flu jab in one arm & a covid booster in the other - at the same appointment?

or was my hearing at the time, set to 'selective' ?

Our government has now adopted a hands off to Covid, basically let it rip. Other countries have been vaccinating over 12s for week. Ours could have at least started before they went back to school. Booster jabs should now being offered to all over the age of 50 as current protection is waning and maybe down to 50% protection for those who were first to get the jab.

Isn't this going to put pressure on our hospitals?

Oh sh...

Wait for @Essexyellows to come and tell us the two are not related in the least. 🙈🙉🙊

Here's the current data on covid 19 hospital stats for Oxford University hospital Trust. This includes 4 hospitals.
What conclusions do you draw?

Here's the current data on covid 19 hospital stats for Oxford University hospital Trust. This includes 4 hospitals.
What conclusions do you draw?

I'm not sure that is relevant. Emergency dept it says. i.e people rocking up with symptoms 'cos they can't see a GP. Don't have to be admitted to cause a problem in A&E.

Edit: it may be that A&E stats don't point to covid in which case I'll hold up my hands.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that is relevant. Emergency dept it says. i.e people rocking up with symptoms 'cos they can't see a GP. Don't have to be admitted to cause a problem in A&E.

Edit: it may be that A&E stats don't point to covid in which case I'll hold up my hands.
My experience of A&E has been swathes of people going there as they’ve not been able to see a GP and 111 have directed them there.

We ended up being blue lighted up to the JR not long ago with my boy and it was packed (he had a fairly common RSV). The issue was we couldn’t see a GP, sent photos of the rash and said we’d get a call back later that day.

Lunchtime and he’s not overly responsive and appearing to get worse. Call 111 to see if they can help diagnose it and next thing you know it’s an ambulance and a night in the JR (as he wasn’t eating or drinking).

Anyway leaving details aside and going on my own experiences lately I’d hazard a guess that a lot in A&E are either being directed there or not bothering to try and get an appointment at the Docs which is near enough impossible.

Best hold them up then.

A&E stats are "just that". Based on how promptly folk are unloaded, assessed, admitted or discharged.

An increased volume of "walk in`s" just causes a physical "log jam".

The not being able to see a GP/sent by 111 is a problem that has been ongoing and impacting on A&E/Walk-in centres for years.

Similar figures locally although we are bigger than OUH.

That`ll be reflected in many major conurbations.

Best hold them up then.

A&E stats are "just that". Based on how promptly folk are unloaded, assessed, admitted or discharged.

An increased volume of "walk in`s" just causes a physical "log jam".

The not being able to see a GP/sent by 111 is a problem that has been ongoing and impacting on A&E/Walk-in centres for years.

Similar figures locally although we are bigger than OUH.

That`ll be reflected in many major conurbations.
Yes its going to be more than just the excess (and rising), compared with other similar countries (see graph above) number of Covid cases. Due to government risky opening up free for all.

It will also be due to bed blocking. Due to government underfunding of care sector.

And staff shortages. Due to government giving two fingers to overseas workers.

My experience of A&E has been swathes of people going there as they’ve not been able to see a GP and 111 have directed them there.

We ended up being blue lighted up to the JR not long ago with my boy and it was packed (he had a fairly common RSV). The issue was we couldn’t see a GP, sent photos of the rash and said we’d get a call back later that day.

Lunchtime and he’s not overly responsive and appearing to get worse. Call 111 to see if they can help diagnose it and next thing you know it’s an ambulance and a night in the JR (as he wasn’t eating or drinking).

Anyway leaving details aside and going on my own experiences lately I’d hazard a guess that a lot in A&E are either being directed there or not bothering to try and get an appointment at the Docs which is near enough impossible.
That sounds bad, hope he’s ok now. The GP problem predates Covid by quite a bit, I was quoted a six week wait to see a doctor a while back, and longer if I wanted a particular one!

Yes its going to be more than just the excess (and rising), compared with other similar countries (see graph above) number of Covid cases. Due to government risky opening up free for all.
Got to get on with our lives and accept that the virus will be amongst us. Even Australia has realised that lockdowns can’t continue and normal life has to resume with the virus.

It will also be due to bed blocking. Due to government underfunding of care sector.

To which a recent 1.25% NI increase to help the funding was met with criticism about tax rises and broken government pledges.

Can’t prevent people wanting to return home to their families during the pandemic.

You forgot - people being seemingly incapable of either self-medicating or going to the local pharmacy.

It is commonly accepted and researched that around 30% of A&E attendees don`t need to be there.

Opening up? 88% have had at least 1 jab, with the caveat that some can`t, at some point you have to do it.

Bed blocking? Ermmmm we have to test the transactions between Care & NHS now..... remember that was a bit of a problem a while ago.

Staff shortages? Folk going home to be with their families, long hours, crap money and a small topping of Brexit.

Got to get on with our lives and accept that the virus will be amongst us. Even Australia has realised that lockdowns can’t continue and normal life has to resume with the virus.
Gaslighting: No one mentioned lockdown only a safer unlocking to help prevent another lockdown.
To which a recent 1.25% NI increase to help the funding was met with criticism about tax rises and broken government pledges.
Gaslighting: The problem is now not April 2023.

Gaslighting: It's a 1.25% rise in the rate of NI, NI itself will rise by 10% (you don't want @RyanioBirdio give give you another lesson so you 😳😳)
Can’t prevent people wanting to return home to their families during the pandemic.
Behave!

Back
Top Bottom