International News Covid-19 .....

Can only be “100% watertight“ if you introduce total lockdown as in Spain, which is then heavily policed with real authority.
A total lockdown is what’s needed. We’re now in the instruction phase to remain indoors except for essential. I think instruction is one down from total lockdown.
I think the word essential is what the few who don’t give a s**t can’t comprehend.
I am one of the 1.5 million that has to remain within my property for 13 weeks and that is a b****r but it’s something that I will do having seen those victims who are speaking on the news who have Covid-19 and that’s frightening. But as has been said it’s the I’m alright Jack brigade.....complete tossers.

No I didn't! Show me where I've asked for it. I don't want a complete lockdown! I've never argued for a complete lockdown. I said the government's communication had been lacking.
I just dont get how the communication could have been clearer. It is almost tedious in how often it is repeated.
Sure there are some grey areas but even those seem fairly clear?

If you compare what's been published in El Pais (posted on here by @Sarge) it's obvious how uk communication could have been cleaner.

I don't see how you couldn't see that?‍♂️

I just dont get how the communication could have been clearer. It is almost tedious in how often it is repeated.
You're joking yes? Take it on the chin. Herd immunity! Cheltenham festival. Let's wait another week before we close the schools etc

Spain, Italy &France are all using the police, their para-military and military forces to enforce their lockdown.

We are being more civil about it, however the stupid people are taking advantage of that.

If the Army were on the streets rather than delivering medical supplies people might take notice.

As ever it seems the more diverse cities are having the problems. Here in Leicester the police had to close off at least two local country park car parks to stop "family get togethers" because its "OK outside having a bar b q innit" ??

People don`t seems to understand it is OK to go out with the people in your household but not your granny from 20 miles away!
fair comment @Essexyellows ...... one of the factors barely being considered is how the recent additional lockdown 'powers' are being applied by different police authorities across the UK, and even in different areas within said authorities (eg in Oxford City - Headington/Marston area there's very little in the way of any police presence, Ive seen one solitary police officer in a police car since 27 March - not that I do anything other than go out for exercise for half hour/ forty mins almost every day, and go to the local co op every few days for essential shopping & a once a month visit to the pharmacy to collect my 'script, Ive not ventured more than a one mile distance from where I reside, and when I do venture out its with gloves (latex) and (a homemade) mask as my own PPE... whereas , still within TVP remit/area, out in Bicester a huge amount of people are stopped and questioned as to what theyre doing and why (quite rightly too), in Nottighamshire there have been many reports of police ( imo) exceeding their mandate by telling people who are shopping for essentials that bread, milk , eggs etc are NOT essential! which really isn't within their mandate as far as I can accertain- strikes me that the utilisation of additional lockdown powers are very much, as football supporters are only too aware, being applied differently basically in different postcodes, never mind police authority areas. IMO standardised application right across the UK, unlikely though it is

The relatively small amount of covidiots should be fined, prosecuted, maybe tagged? - do the recent additional powers allow the police to electronically tag those not heeding government advice? - if not, why not? it would restrict those flaunting rules/ advice to stay at home, and offenders would be a lot easier to err keep tabs/tags on as to their whereabouts?

far too many 'grey areas' and different interpretation as well as different application of rules, regs & requirements for my liking as things stand. Standardise them across the UK... and maybe if they don't have the authority already, bring in tagging, as well as hefty fines for anyone found to be flouting government requirements, so the authorities know where (persistent) offenders actually are at any given time?

The Police are instructed to "Engage, Encourage & Enforce".................. that is another issue, yet again pandering to the "soft touch" approach.

The rules are simple.

1.Stay at home.

2.If you must go out it is only for exercise, essential food/medicine or work.

3. Stay at least 2 metres apart from other people.

Hardly degree level understanding required.

If the police were firmer on it the stupid people would soon get the message.

If you compare what's been published in El Pais (posted on here by @Sarge) it's obvious how uk communication could have been cleaner.

I don't see how you couldn't see that?‍♂️

And then we've got Johnson matey-boying about, boasting about shaking hands, bluff and blithe like Stephen Fry's general in WW1 Blackadder, 'of course some of you boys will get cracked heads and bloody noses, but mostly the old'. That's the leader setting the tone. All the way down to the dumb scotswoman, Matt Hancock having his figures prepared by Dianne Abbot and being photo'd in front of milling throngs, the old bill apologising for enforcing restrictions.

A shambles.

The Police are instructed to "Engage, Encourage & Enforce".................. that is another issue, yet again pandering to the "soft touch" approach.

The rules are simple.

1.Stay at home.

2.If you must go out it is only for exercise, essential food/medicine or work.

3. Stay at least 2 metres apart from other people.

Hardly degree level understanding required.

If the police were firmer on it the stupid people would soon get the message.
You forget 'you can (probably must if you don't want the sack) go to work if you're employer claims social distancing rules can be met'.

You forget 'you can (probably must if you don't want the sack) go to work if you're employer claims social distancing rules can be met'.

The employer needs to evidence they are part of the "essential" supply chain. It is how many are staying open, if they can continue to function within the required regulations.
If the employer fails to that then employee`s can contact the HSE it`s no different to having any other unsafe working practices, the new Act`s cut both ways.

What dont you understand then?
I am clearly missing something.
Messages are more than just instructions on websites or statements at press briefings. What you do and don't do and what you allow and don't allow are also messages. Get in now?

The employer needs to evidence they are part of the "essential" supply chain. It is how many are staying open, if they can continue to function within the required regulations.
If the employer fails to that then employee`s can contact the HSE it`s no different to having any other unsafe working practices, the new Act`s cut both ways.
Yes but it didn't stop the underground being rammed because the government's message said nothing (none that I could find) about safe travel to work.

And irrespective of whether there were fewer trains due to sickness levels or Khan's decision it was a fact that the government should have taken into account.

Messages are more than just instructions on websites or statements at press briefings. What you do and don't do and what you allow and don't allow are also messages. Get in now?

And how you do it. You don't get across a regulation that has a set of rules and exception by saying parts of the whole at different times in different places: you state the whole so people who want to obey can do so easily and people who don't have no excuses. Pens are too light!

You get a serious message across by behaving seriously and consistently, not by waffling and joshing and changing your tune.

It's not difficult to describe how badly this has been handled.

Just imagine.....if (big if) from Day One "The Government" had said:

"Right that is it you all stay at home from now, all shops, schools, pubs etc etc are shut immediately and you can`t go to work and we don`t know how you will get paid."

Does anyone think that 64 million folk would have said "Cheers Boris, that is fine by me".... or would the backlash have been anarchy/civil unrest?

The government used classic management techniques to gradually implement the most draconian set of rules since WWII and, generally, we are hunky dory with that.

Some will understand what they have achieved and how they did it ,and admire them for it, others will eternally nit pick at the "what ifs". ;)

The guidelines are perfectly clear for those with an ounce of common sense.

Unfortunately, there are still a minority who have little intelligence or just want to flout the guidelines.

A case in point... Some guy gets caught speeding at 110 miles per hour with his kids in the car. It seems he was doing a 240 round trip to London for bread because it is £1 cheaper.

So not only is he clearly flouting the guidelines, he gets himself caught speeding in the process and then comes up with a moronic reason.

Some people just can’t be helped....

QR....

You’re comparing Cheltenham, which was pre lock down I believe, and some early stages of lockdown when maybe the message was not as stark or initially understood or taken seriously in the initial few days. It was a huge change to people’s natural way of life and it was bound to take a few days to settle.

But the message is perfectly clear and understood now.. there is no excuse.

It is just idiocy to sunbathe in a park or have a bbq/picnic.

"Right that is it you all stay at home from now, all shops, schools, pubs etc etc are shut immediately and you can`t go to work and we don`t know how you will get paid."

Does anyone think that 64 million folk would have said "Cheers Boris, that is fine by me".... or would the backlash have been anarchy/civil unrest?

The government used classic management techniques to gradually implement the most draconian set of rules since WWII and, generally, we are hunky dory with that.

Some will understand what they have achieved and how they did it ,and admire them for it, others will eternally nit pick at the "what ifs". ;)

to be fair, I don't think any government (or PM/president) anywhere globally has got the exactly correct way to deal with this pandemic so far. Our current government haven't (yet) made too, too many erroneous calls so far

however, they haven't got things entirely, 100% right either.... in a democracy doesn't every citizen have the right to question those elected to govern ? Of course its always easy to be wise in retrospect, nonetheless lack of testing and provision of PPE to those at the vanguard of dealing with the CV19 pandemic, could and should have been sourced and implemented much earlier (IMO), I wouldn't call that nit picking(?).... also in a bid to bombastically 'get brexit done', offers of communal ( with the EU) pooling of resources (ventilators, ppe, test kits etc) were 'ignored' apparently. instead of accepting the genuine offer of utilising communal resources with EU, leaving the UK underprepared and on the back foot with the reported imminent peak of CV19 due this coming weekend, that isnt nit picking either (IMO)

( Bojo bragged he'd shook hands with how many people? among other odd statements such as 'we have to take it on the chin' ... ignoring 'his' own advice.... he and his cohorts too arent above any rules, regs and requirements- as some of them have discovered)

idiots who think that rules, regs and requirements don't apply to them , really do deserve to have the proverbial book thrown at them ( from at least 2 metres away), no matter who they are

I'm not sure anything has been 'achieved' yet.

The bottom line is that the approach chosen by the government is one that it believes will flatten the growth in the mortality curve thereby ensuring hospitals are not overwhelmed (as they were/are in Italy) resulting in doctors not having to make the awful you live /you die decisions.

Have they achieved this? Yes/no /to early to call?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom