International News Covid-19 .....

Possibly?! The feeling I got was that they were preparing people to accept no more unnecessary mixing of households (particularly six different ones) whilst also trying to get across the importance of “Covid secure” venues remaining open to keep the economy going.

If I read it right then I’d guess it’s fine for a family/household unit to go to the pub and spend etc. but you won’t be going there with five others or having them over.
bbc report the highlights of this mornings briefing ...

It's hard to trust the government when you've got Professor Carl Heneghan bashing them on TV every morning. He even referred to Johnson's scientific advisors as 'mediocre' - which is concerning.

The rate of infections has gone up because the kids have gone back to school and there's been an increase in testing. It happens every year with all infections. Surely the thing we should be looking at is hospitalisations which is still extremely low?! (Flu and pneumonia have caused more deaths since June according to the ONS stats) Local measures should be taken where necessary but to have more nationwide restrictions would be catastrophic for small businesses and the economy.

Are we sure the government didn't overreact and are now moving into justification mode for keeping us in lockdown past May and wrecking the economy?

Dramatic rises in cases in France, well past the original peak.

It's hard to trust the government when you've got Professor Carl Heneghan bashing them on TV every morning. He even referred to Johnson's scientific advisors as 'mediocre' - which is concerning.

The rate of infections has gone up because the kids have gone back to school and there's been an increase in testing. It happens every year with all infections. Surely the thing we should be looking at is hospitalisations which is still extremely low?! (Flu and pneumonia have caused more deaths since June according to the ONS stats) Local measures should be taken where necessary but to have more nationwide restrictions would be catastrophic for small businesses and the economy.

Are we sure the government didn't overreact and are now moving into justification mode for keeping us in lockdown past May and wrecking the economy?
Ratio of +ve tests is also creeping up isn't it?

Yes...it is

Last edited:
Dramatic rises in cases in France, well past the original peak.

But the death rate is now down to 25 per day, rather than just under 1000, which it what it was at the peak in France. The death rate does not seem to be mirroring the original peak.

But the death rate is now down to 25 per day, rather than just under 1000, which it what it was at the peak in France. The death rate does not seem to be mirroring the original peak.
similar here too infection rates climbing, yet cv19 uk death rates very low in comparison

If 50;000 new cases a day = 200 deaths a day then our 900 deathis a day in April/ May looks as if it means 250,000 cases a day, is that how you see it?

If 50;000 new cases a day = 200 deaths a day then our 900 deathis a day in April/ May looks as if it means 250,000 cases a day, is that how you see it?

I'd guess that's a simplification based on the fact that insufficient measures were in place to protect the most vulnerable.

The gist may well be true though.

According to stuff landing in the mailbox with monotonous regularity.....

"Since this is an RNA virus, it will continue to mutate as long as it continues to circulate in humans. Additional mutations as the virus adapts to the human host may make the virus less severe or more severe, or less or more efficient in spreading."

On a positive note the global economic crisis it may cause will make Greta happy as less "stuff" is made & shipped around the world, fewer folk flying about to places, few less people on the planet.......... its a winner! ?

Eh hem, gimme a job as Chief Scientist...... from Page 1 of this very thread. :D

More research and results of here.......................

Eh hem, gimme a job as Chief Scientist...... from Page 1 of this very thread. :D

More research and results of here.......................
The Melbourne uptick was related to a specific mutation that increased infection.

We shut down the entire country for 3 months and have tried to maintain social distance, cleansing, de-sanitising, social “bubble” measure etc etc, for over 6 months and yet here we are.

Quite what a circuit break for a few weeks will achieve of any real significance is now beyond me.

The country cannot stomach another lockdown. In the long run it will achieve nothing other than create an even greater and more long lasting economic shock, which we can’t possible afford to let happen.

No mention of test and trace systems that will kick in and play their part in today’s briefing. Was meant to have been world beating and fully functional months ago, wasn’t it?

Devil is in the detail, as per. Six months on, tell people to pop out for a cheeky pint and a half price Nando’s, then pin it on the young folk while doing nothing to actually prepare for the autumn and winter.

Are we allowed to judge yet or is it still using hindsight? Asking for a friend.

UK moved back to alert level 4 meaning that transmission is high or rising exponentially.

What odds on lockdown before the end of next week :unsure:

Far too much faffing about with "getting people used to the idea".

Alert level up to 4 and we are waiting a week or more to do anything? Stable door`s and horses........

Cynics would suggest that if it is that bad do it now. If it isn`t......... don`t do it!

Far too much faffing about with "getting people used to the idea".

Alert level up to 4 and we are waiting a week or more to do anything? Stable door`s and horses........

Cynics would suggest that if it is that bad do it now. If it isn`t......... don`t do it!

Agreed but we have a govt who are hell bent on controlling narrative and public perception to remain in control. They’re more concerned about that than anything else.

They’re probably canvassing opinion in the blue wall as we speak to see which measures they can introduce :D

This should have been sorted out at the end of last week when it was being reported and implemented on Friday. I guess it’s hard to do so with a seemingly vacant PM.

Where is he anyway? Trying to calculate if he can still pay child allowance to his kids or self isolating after his (alleged) trip to Italy?

Ah well we’ll have a world beating vaccine soon and it’ll all be good! Matt said so.

No mention of test and trace systems that will kick in and play their part in today’s briefing. Was meant to have been world beating and fully functional months ago, wasn’t it?

Devil is in the detail, as per. Six months on, tell people to pop out for a cheeky pint and a half price Nando’s, then pin it on the young folk while doing nothing to actually prepare for the autumn and winter.

Are we allowed to judge yet or is it still using hindsight? Asking for a friend.

It is just an absolute mess.

I don’t know what to think anymore. Lost faith in every decision making process whether it be political or just following the science.

Maybe Sweden got it right after all?

One thing is for sure, I am now totally hacked off with the whole situation.

It is just an absolute mess.

I don’t know what to think anymore. Lost faith in every decision making process whether it be political or just following the science.

Maybe Sweden got it right after all?

One thing is for sure, I am now totally hacked off with the whole situation.
you're not the only one either @MC Yellow

Back
Top Bottom