Clotet our for goodness sake

I'd give him a little while longer. We were poor today, but generally we're a decent side in the final two thirds of the pitch and score plenty of goals even though we don't have quality players. But at the back we get exposed game after game for what a shambles we are. If he can do something with the defence then there is hope, although I won't hold my breath.
Have you actually looked at our results recently? "score plenty of goals"??????

If games in hand go against us we are definitely heading for regulation zone and I have no trust this team have the guts for a regulation fight.

I'd give him a little while longer. We were poor today, but generally we're a decent side in the final two thirds of the pitch and score plenty of goals even though we don't have quality players. But at the back we get exposed game after game for what a shambles we are. If he can do something with the defence then there is hope, although I won't hold my breath.
Have you actually looked at our results recently? "score plenty of goals"??????

TBF it’s not often that we don’t score!

As it happens yes I am 'Picky', except I prefer to call it discerning. I don't do blind allegiance, and I don't entertain 'holier than thou' sicophants, you excluded. Under the present (mis)management the notion of reaching the Championship is about as realistic as Donald Trump winning the nobel peace prize for diplomacy. The greater task is staying out of relegation. I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that this is a foregone conclusion, history should teach us that, many times over.

The owner is silent, the Manager is inept and the players are underperforming. Why would I want to fund this ?

But you go ahead, and you can laugh at me when the mighty U's are in the dizzy heights of the championship.I won't hold my breath.

Brutal, but fair. The 'holier than thou sycophants' made me chuckle. Such a brilliantly apt description of 7 or 8 posters on here.
This has been a smoke and mirrors operation for too long, propped up 'holier than thou sycophants ' who mistake being a 'supporter' for 'idiot who supports the unsupportable.'
This decline has been coming for some time, as the net benefits of Ashton's time at the club gradually dissipate. This time last year, a doughty up-and coming League 1 club travelled to a Premier League side, took 4000 fans and were mighty unlucky not to spring a surprise.
Compare and contrast with the 6000 home fans shivering in the wind tunnel as the players meekly succumb to one of the worst sides in the 92 (This after earlier humiliations against Cheltenham and Port Vale).
7-0 defeats don't just 'happen' and certainly not against clubs in the same league. The only other time it happened was when the club was in long-term structural decline, something that went on for over a decade. Pep is no more the cause than Kemp was. They are symptoms. As in the early Kassam years, we actually have a highly respectable playing budget. But just as a well-run club can outperform budget for many a year, so the opposite is true. For some time now, as a club we have been sclerotic and un-strategic glossed over with a strange personality cult. We have enough players of ability (including, crucially, a keeper) to stay up short term. But the storm clouds - in sight for so long - are over our heads now.

If games in hand go against us we are definitely heading for regulation zone and I have no trust this team have the guts for a regulation fight.

Last time I checked 15th was above the relegation zone.

By all means be annoyed with the team playing poorly, conceding stupid goals or the tactics but let’s try and keep it realistic too.

We are a mid table side who aren’t going up or going down.

As it happens yes I am 'Picky', except I prefer to call it discerning. I don't do blind allegiance, and I don't entertain 'holier than thou' sicophants, you excluded. Under the present (mis)management the notion of reaching the Championship is about as realistic as Donald Trump winning the nobel peace prize for diplomacy. The greater task is staying out of relegation. I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that this is a foregone conclusion, history should teach us that, many times over.

The owner is silent, the Manager is inept and the players are underperforming. Why would I want to fund this ?

But you go ahead, and you can laugh at me when the mighty U's are in the dizzy heights of the championship.I won't hold my breath.

Brutal, but fair. The 'holier than thou sycophants' made me chuckle. Such a brilliantly apt description of 7 or 8 posters on here.
This has been a smoke and mirrors operation for too long, propped up 'holier than thou sycophants ' who mistake being a 'supporter' for 'idiot who supports the unsupportable.'
This decline has been coming for some time, as the net benefits of Ashton's time at the club gradually dissipate. This time last year, a doughty up-and coming League 1 club travelled to a Premier League side, took 4000 fans and were mighty unlucky not to spring a surprise.
Compare and contrast with the 6000 home fans shivering in the wind tunnel as the players meekly succumb to one of the worst sides in the 92 (This after earlier humiliations against Cheltenham and Port Vale).
7-0 defeats don't just 'happen' and certainly not against clubs in the same league. The only other time it happened was when the club was in long-term structural decline, something that went on for over a decade. Pep is no more the cause than Kemp was. They are symptoms. As in the early Kassam years, we actually have a highly respectable playing budget. But just as a well-run club can outperform budget for many a year, so the opposite is true. For some time now, as a club we have been sclerotic and un-strategic glossed over with a strange personality cult. We have enough players of ability (including, crucially, a keeper) to stay up short term. But the storm clouds - in sight for so long - are over our heads now.

Just 15 posts to get back to calling other oxford fans idiots, for not agreeing with u. Well done

Just 15 posts to get back to calling other oxford fans idiots, for not agreeing with u. Well done
Putting that to one side, the point is well made.
We, the club, are in the brown stuff. The danger signs are there for all to see. The inept man management. The lack of proper commercial management, yes ok, something has been done but mid way through the season? Bit late now. The recruitment in the summer was abysmal. If, as is often touted, we have sufficient funds to manage in this division, why are we doing everything to drop back down?

The football is rubbish, the reaction to defeats poor, the players clearly have ability but he is not getting the best out of a single player. I cannot see him improving our play at all. Eales won’t sack him now but he must be replaced once we are safe and we can prepare for next season, otherwise I and many others won’t be renewing season tickets.

Most of the players are f*****g shite.

Putting that to one side, the point is well made.
We, the club, are in the brown stuff. The danger signs are there for all to see. The inept man management. The lack of proper commercial management, yes ok, something has been done but mid way through the season? Bit late now. The recruitment in the summer was abysmal. If, as is often touted, we have sufficient funds to manage in this division, why are we doing everything to drop back down?

I don’t think I’ve ever said we’re not. But just remember charlie has been predicting these black clouds arriving over Darryl, before he even arrived in oxford, under Appleton we wouldn’t get promoted from that league playing nice football. And again this season before we had even kicked a ball. He’s not mystic meg or even ken fish in his ability to see black clouds approaching. But predict doom long enough, and we will have a bad spell at some point to claim ur right

Someone who knows this league. Chris Powell if he doesn't get Southend job. Pep out of his depth.
Another name is Simon Grayson. Plenty of managers who have conquered league 1 out there and have better experience then the spanish COACH we have as our manager.

I find him incredibly dull to listen too, I worry this might be the case in the dressing room too. It would seem to me that he has a very good understanding of the game but is unable to get the players to carry out his vision. This might be a case of having the wrong players, which might improve with the summer window, but also and quite probable is that he doesn't inspire the players. The players might have lost faith a bit at this point, certainly confidence. An overhaul of players in the summer might do the trick, but the worry is we might not get that far in safety.

I must admit, I don't remember what he's actually said after he's been interviewed, so god knows what his team talk must be like.

Having said that, he's just the scape goat of Darryl's poor recruitment policy.

I must admit, I don't remember what he's actually said after he's been interviewed, so god knows what his team talk must be like.

Having said that, he's just the scape goat of Darryl's poor recruitment policy.

The recruitment "policy" last summer was just a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

You have to look much deeper than that. The club went from being micro-managed on a minute to minute basis by a near teetotal, workaholic football-obsessive control freak with a deeply detailed blueprint for success (and a manager so desperate to prove himself that he punched holes in dug-outs in frustration).

To suddenly, following his defenestration two years ago, precisely the opposite, culminating in 10 months of takeover discussions while the asset base was turned into cash without reinvestment; consequently a fall-out with the senior middle manager, followed out the door by senior employees in their prime; huge price hikes; zero marketing; legal disputes with landlord. No matter what the rights and wrongs of each of those individual situations, if that had all happened to any normal business in the space of 12 months, no-one would be surprised if things started to go seriously wrong thereafter.

Do I think that Pep is proving a good manager? Frankly, no (the league placing is clearly respectable, though highly fragile). But I do think that most managers would have struggled if they had wandered into the Potemkin Village that was OUFC 2017. Personally, I think that Pep is being a bit unfairly scapegoated. Not for last summer's recruitment (for which he must bear some responsibility), but for two years of underlying decay. Appleton realised (after the first takeover fell through) that he was going to be the Fall Guy. Leaving poor old Pep to come in and take the rap.

You do realise that you were posting exactly the same during MApp's first season? You were calling for him to go in the October at the same time as worrying about a relegation dog fight etc. Anyone who thought he should be given time was labelled as an idiot or not a true fan. A couple of years later and you now see MApp as a cross between Bill Shankley and Sir Alec!

Ashton departure is now seen by you as the point where all hope was lost, yet he was part of the problem according to many of your posts at that time.

History has a habit of proving you wrong, yet you continue to dismiss anyone who dares thinking differently to Mystic Chas!

It is possible to make a point without rewriting history, blurring the truth and insulting others. Give it a go and your rants may have a little more credibility.

No they’re not. They’re just being badly managed.

Bit of both I think would be fairer. There are no leaders amongst the team, no one willing to take the game by the scruff of the neck and pull us through difficult times. We have conceded straight after scoring or at crucial moments too many times. That is down to individual focus and hard to manage once players cross the line. Unfortunately we havent the squad to allow players to be dropped so a mistake one week still means playing the next. So many players need to look at themselves and take responsibilty for their part in our results. Pep has his faults, no doubt about that, but he is not alone.

Back
Top Bottom