General Cars

I love having an ev and the whole range thing isn’t a thing.
If you haven’t tried one, do it. Rent one or take a test drive.
I've been an owner of one for three years, sold one recently and got another, I honestly couldn't imagine going back, there is something quite nice about going out to a car full of juice in the mornings and never having to visit a petrol station.

Also really haven't had any issues with the range on the latest car, will do 260 miles comfortably and charges back to 80% in 30 minutes which works for me just fine, driving more than 260 miles in one go isn't something I want to do a whole lot anyway.

I've been an owner of one for three years, sold one recently and got another, I honestly couldn't imagine going back, there is something quite nice about going out to a car full of juice in the mornings and never having to visit a petrol station.

Also really haven't had any issues with the range on the latest car, will do 260 miles comfortably and charges back to 80% in 30 minutes which works for me just fine, driving more than 260 miles in one go isn't something I want to do a whole lot anyway.

I certainly accept that there is a strong element of having to change mind set.

But the first time I was a passenger in an electric car we had to make a 20 min diversion to get to a Tesla charging point, running down to less than 12 miles charge in the process , having missed the road exit first time around (stress). The second time (not a Tesla) we ended up with app and charging issues that meant a lot of faffing around. Then, just sitting around for about 1/2 hour doing very little, when all I wanted to do was get home.

These two experiences, for me, were enough to convince me I’m still not ready to change.

I also have a friend who recently opted for an Audi e-tron and has since regretted that decision. It may just be a case of needing more time to adapt, I don’t know, but his enjoyment of his new car has been tainted.

Add in all the misleading info about how kind they are for the environment (which just feels like another round of Brexit lies) and I remain resistant.

But for balance, I have a client who purchased an i-pace about a year ago and hasn’t looked back. Keeps telling me I should change.

Also, it took me years before I finally move away from a manual gearbox and purchased a car with the PDK system. I have never looked back since, so maybe I will be the same once I do finally take the plunge and go electric 🤷🏼‍♂️

We’re on holiday driving round Germany atm, 200-300km per day, and decided to hire a model y because it’s such an easy drive (that’s what we have at home) - brilliant on the autobahn (only been brave enough to do 180 km/h and I nearly sharted). Charging is easy, chargers everywhere and in our first week only one inconvenient charging incident where I had to drive 15 mins to charge for 30 mins to make sure we’d enough juice for the next day.

Update
I’ve bought MX54MOS lovely motor. Will be doing more driving this week and next as the weather isn‘t as hot as it was. Good excuse to take the top down

Update
I’ve bought MX54MOS lovely motor. Will be doing more driving this week and next as the weather isn‘t as hot as it was. Good excuse to take the top down
No excuse required. As long as it's not absolutely piddling down, it's roof off. I once drove my old Lotus 60 miles up the A34 mid winter, couple of degrees above freezing. Got to work with ice on my top lip but a huge grin!

Update
Good choice. I had a MKII and it was the best car I ever owned.

(I had a Daimler Super V8 for a while which would have blown it out of the water had it not completely emptied my wallet and pissed off all of my neighbours)

No excuse required. As long as it's not absolutely piddling down, it's roof off. I once drove my old Lotus 60 miles up the A34 mid winter, couple of degrees above freezing. Got to work with ice on my top lip but a huge grin!

Also, don't drive into a flood without the roof on, even if not raining, so that the engine gets drowned and you get stuck with cars going the opposite way. A moron in a MGB did that. I with 5 other cars that were following me drove by him in a flood depositing a good chunk of the flooded river in his car.

Also, don't drive into a flood without the roof on, even if not raining, so that the engine gets drowned and you get stuck with cars going the opposite way. A moron in a MGB did that. I with 5 other cars that were following me drove by him in a flood depositing a good chunk of the flooded river in his car.
A moderate puddle was sufficiently catastrophic for the Lotus!

A moderate puddle was sufficiently catastrophic for the Lotus!

This was a river (or at least a good sized stream) that had properly flooded the road between Wantage and Stanford in the Vale. I was in a Fiesta and the water was near the top of the wheel arches.

This was a river (or at least a good sized stream) that had properly flooded the road between Wantage and Stanford in the Vale. I was in a Fiesta and the water was near the top of the wheel arches.
Taking a bet on saying that the flood was near to Mellor's Garage? Seems to get wet all the time!

Taking a bet on saying that the flood was near to Mellor's Garage? Seems to get wet all the time!

Thinking back it was in 2 areas close together, there and on the other side of the railway from around Goosey Lane towards Stanford-in-the-Vale.

The water was running down East Hanney's main road earlier in the journey so unthinking, I went back through Wantage not considering that it would be affected further on.

Last edited:

How long until we have to watch adverts before starting the car??

It would make the job of a heist crew getaway driver more difficult for sure. "Hang on fellas, I know the cops have just turned up, but we have to watch this message from Compare The Market before I can get us out of here..."

A car that has so many features locked behind paywalls is just perfect for in-built obsolescence. Not many will last 20 years!!

Back
Top Bottom