General Cars

I’m having a midlife crisis. I have a Skoda Octavia 1.5TSI which is fast and fun and now looking at buying a 2 litre Mazda MX5. Anyone on her have one?
I’ve yet to drive one but getting the feeling I won’t regret buying one.
Looking at around 16/17 registration at around £17500
Any updates on your search ?

Any updates on your search ?
I’ve worked out a large number of the earlier ones seem to be beset with rust problems. Those from 2016 on look nice. I certainly believe the dark blue ones look nicest of all of them.
Many of them have low mileage which seems to show that they’re not used too much.
I reckon we’d only do around 4000 miles a year.
I am not too sure we will get one this year. I’d like to sell the Octavia first as there seems little point in running two cars.

I’ve worked out a large number of the earlier ones seem to be beset with rust problems. Those from 2016 on look nice. I certainly believe the dark blue ones look nicest of all of them.
Many of them have low mileage which seems to show that they’re not used too much.
I reckon we’d only do around 4000 miles a year.
I am not too sure we will get one this year. I’d like to sell the Octavia first as there seems little point in running two cars.
A small piece of advice. If you can run two cars and one has got proper boot space or is a hatchback, the options when it comes to shopping, taking stuff to the recycling centre etc. make a lot of sense. Mrs L has a hatchback which serves us well. The Jag has next to no boot space at all (it's the one real drawback of the design)

A small piece of advice. If you can run two cars and one has got proper boot space or is a hatchback, the options when it comes to shopping, taking stuff to the recycling centre etc. make a lot of sense. Mrs L has a hatchback which serves us well. The Jag has next to no boot space at all (it's the one real drawback of the design)
That’s a very good point, one I’ve been dwelling on. One drawback is I can’t collect anyone from the airport as I wouldn’t have enough luggage space. Shopping trips would also be a nightmare..would probably have to go to Tesco three times instead of once. I remember the Citigo used to have the rear seats and floors filled with food and cleaning products.
If we end up with two cars I’d imagine the MX5 would have to be homed in the garage overnight

Anyone on here driving to the FGR game and if so ,where are you planning on parking ?

A nice stretch :) . I did that as my first decent walk after coming out of from a few months in hospital after major surgery!
Fair play to you, I consider myself to be very fit for an old git but that hill felt like it was never going to end…..

We're driving, plan on arriving a little earlier and parking in the primary school half way down the hill. There is some on street parking, I've been told, but it's not clear from Google street view.
There is also, apparently, a park & ride service operated from the premises of Renishaw Plc. They are on the A46 Stroud road.

I’ve just discovered I’ve already done 13000 steps today and 15000 yesterday. Not bad for a 68 year old.
Having said that the hill in Worcestershire sounds like a walk up the steepest Malvern hill.
I remember going to Watford. Trip across the allotments to get to the ground

I've been quick to criticise the disgrace that is the damaging, consumerist, green-washing electric car industry over recent years, but there has been some good news recently:

Toyota potentially creating a 750 mile battery which can be charged in 10 minutes.

Mercedes creating a battery with 1000 mile range.

Neither are close to commercial realisation at the moment, but could represent massive steps forward in electric carmaking.

These cars will harvest our data, isolate the poor, drain us financially, kill an entire sector of industry, and lead to an enormous amount of waste/scrapped useable vehicles as they take over the roads. But at least some of the practical problems we currently have with EVs (like sitting for hours at a service station on long trips) seem to be closer to being solved.

750 miles charge in 10 minutes. Wow.

As much as I agree with all of your comments and equally detest this EV revolution, this would indeed be a game changer.

Probably a few more years yet, before we see this as the norm though 🙄

750 miles charge in 10 minutes. Wow.

As much as I agree with all of your comments and equally detest this EV revolution, this would indeed be a game changer.

Probably a few more years yet, before we see this as the norm though 🙄
about a decade before long distance capable ev's are affordable in general

I love having an ev and the whole range thing isn’t a thing.
If you haven’t tried one, do it. Rent one or take a test drive.

Back
Top Bottom