National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

I’ve explained pretty meticulously in the past how it’s made things worse across multiple sectors, so I doubt anything I say now will make any difference.

I’ll give you one fun fact that I haven’t seen anybody mention in the media though: due to post-Brexit rules regarding how long EU tour buses can stay in the UK for, in some cases the drivers are having to catch a ferry to Ireland or France just so they can turn around and come straight back in again. Often this requires factoring in an entire day off due to the time it takes, which costs thousands of pounds because as well as there not being any show to monetise that night, all of the bands and crew members require hotels. That goes on your ticket price. There aren’t enough UK-based buses and drivers to fill demand, which in the case of the drivers themselves (as well as many riggers and stage hands) is partly because a lot of them moved to Germany so as not to lock themselves out of the majority of their work once Brexit kicked in.

Numerous merchandise companies have also slashed their UK operations and moved the bulk of their fulfilment to places like Leipzig, because the EU makes up far more of their business than the UK and getting items on/off this island is now far more difficult and costly. UK merch printing companies have also seen their business more than halve in some cases, as touring artists are using EU companies to make huge swathes of their garments as they can pass freely through European borders without needing a carnet, as they were made in the single market. Previously the UK companies would print the lot - now they print the stuff for the UK shows only and nothing else. If they print any of them here at all. Because they’re printing less units, the bulk discount has shrunk which means the price per unit is up, which means the consumer pays more. Again.

I’m going on tour myself next year across Europe as well as the US, Japan and Australia, which now requires me applying and paying for working visas to enter places that previously I could’ve strolled into by nonchalantly flashing my passport. I can’t put my rates up because otherwise an EU citizen will get the job over me, so I have to swallow all the costs myself. I’ve had to take a real terms pay cut while spending more time working.

And that’s just the stuff I can be arsed to type.
Would be interesting to hear from one of the 'sovereignty' mob about why this isn't a problem.

Hmmm...even The Moggster has admitted he was wrong about Brexit and Dover.

Very few zealots left who struggle with reality it would seem....

Er, BLUE passport if you please. Selectively avoid mentioning the benefit of Brexit why don't you.
How much cheaper would it have been to just award every citizen with a blue passport cover??

It doesn’t make any difference now SKS has said he won’t rejoin
Can't rejoin because all the benefits, opt outs and special deals we once had have been flushed down the shitter in one go, never to be seen again.

So the best we can hope for, without another massive round of political wrangling, conflict and pain is a closer relationship (rather than the perpetual conflict and blame the Tories/ERG are hell-bent on) that ensures closer trade and regulatory alignment that benefits all parties.

We've fucked it up big-style...although it will clearly take some 40 odd years to realise that 🤷‍♂️

A story came to me on my twitter feed, so may be a load of rubbish, but so funny/ironic if true. During the worst of Dover queues a lorry with £20k of fresh goods from France such as seafood, saucisson etc intended for the moggster's summer party was held up and the party had to be cancelled. If correct hypocrisy at its finest

A story came to me on my twitter feed, so may be a load of rubbish, but so funny/ironic if true. During the worst of Dover queues a lorry with £20k of fresh goods from France such as seafood, saucisson etc intended for the moggster's summer party was held up and the party had to be cancelled. If correct hypocrisy at its finest

Alanis Morissette is warming up.

It was a fake.

Everyone knows that Moggy has small children carry all his provisions on their backs to his country pile before shoo-ing them up his chimneys, followed by a damn good thrashing.

Odd really, I thought the Tories were meant to be the party of business and free trade.
They were, but those at the top of it have turned into protectionist, populist Little Englanders, unfortunately for us all. I live in hope that eventually the party members and MPs will wise up and at least put someone with a) a passing acquaintance with the truth and b) a grasp of fundamental economics in charge. Not holding my breath though.

They were, but those at the top of it have turned into protectionist, populist Little Englanders, unfortunately for us all. I live in hope that eventually the party members and MPs will wise up and at least put someone with a) a passing acquaintance with the truth and b) a grasp of fundamental economics in charge. Not holding my breath though.
We're in for a loooong wait on that one. The tories have been wallowing in a mire of their own making for quite some time, but the combined clusterfucks of Brexit and Covid have hidden just what inept fantasists they are when it comes to day to day governance. Until they rid themselves of the ERG loonies they will continue to plumb the depths, I would imagine.

Mind you, that will be harder than Labour flushing out Momentum, as the ERG is far more part of Tory DNA....and chimes with their culture war agenda.

Maybe we should all just listen to Rory for a bit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0019rj2 (about 3 minutes in) and learn how to debate (argue) nicely again 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom