All Charlton ain't we?

Based purely on the video clip of Charlie talking post-match, don't think he deserved too much criticism! He said the match was close, that Sunderland didn't deserve to win, that they need to improve next season, and that based on historical league placings and attendances at the play off final (38,000 Charlton fans versus 33,0000 Sunderland) Sunderland couldn't consider themselves more deserving of promotion.

I can see how some of that would P**s off Mackems mind you.

(Caveat: some of his previous comments about SAFC fans certainly didn't suggest PR genius, but the interview above was sound, in my opinion.)
Yeah that was my thought as well.
I'm not sure that he said anything wrong or particularly controversial.
It does seem that some supporters dont like anything remotely negative said about them even if true (so Sunderland fans being quiet)

It does seem that some supporters dont like anything remotely negative said about them even if true (so Sunderland fans being quiet)

As much as I think Charlie is a tool, he's not said anything too controversial here. But then again, KR got caned for saying we had a lot of injuries when we did, that referees were rubbish when they were and that once players were fit we would see the real team, and we did!

The difference is that Charlie works in PR and is on the board of a club that has had years of negativity. This was an opportunity to talk up the 34000 fans that had made a 500 mile round trip, many stopping in the capital, spending hundreds of pounds and seeing their team miss out for the 2nd time in 6 weeks at Wembley. It was about saying that although disappointed they were only one win away from achieving their goal of promotion, that they'd learnt from a difficult season, that SD, Charlie and Ross were already building for next season and were 100% committed to delivering the success the fans deserved.

He sounded defeated and that will P**s off those who have seen their club dragged down over the last few years.

Sunderland attendance at Wembley - 33,000. That must be one of the lowest ever as a % to average home gate, of approx. 30,000
Charlton took 38,000 compared to average home gate of approx. 10,000. We had 4 times our average home gate at Wembley
Normally friends, family, neighbours tag along for the big day.
I appreciate they had been there earlier in the season in JPT and it is 4 hours away but it was a poor attendance.

Sunderland attendance at Wembley - 33,000. That must be one of the lowest ever as a % to average home gate, of approx. 30,000
Charlton took 38,000 compared to average home gate of approx. 10,000. We had 4 times our average home gate at Wembley
Normally friends, family, neighbours tag along for the big day.
I appreciate they had been there earlier in the season in JPT and it is 4 hours away but it was a poor attendance.
To be fair it is a very long way to go (and it is pretty close to Charlton)
But I do agree that for such a huge game it was a very poor turn up by Sunderland

To be fair it is a very long way to go (and it is pretty close to Charlton)
But I do agree that for such a huge game it was a very poor turn up by Sunderland

What about the home semi final then ? Thats not a very long way to go, and there was 20k empty seats

On that last part, I'm sure every club has some supporters like that tbf.

To be fair in the interest of balance, their podcast was pretty much spot on

He's a funny lad. As has been said, for a man in PR, he took a tone that allowed people to read into it whatever they wanted. I guess that was the moment his ? or bust gamble turned into :poop:.

Still, makes me laugh though.

Back
Top Bottom