General Sir Bobby Charlton RIP

Wonderful wonderful player. Watched him grace the manor all those years ago.
The world will mourn his passing.

Will always remember the goal he smashed in from the halfway line at The Manor to earn ManU a cup replay.

RIP Sir Bob....

Will always remember the goal he smashed in from the halfway line at The Manor to earn ManU a cup replay.

RIP Sir Bob....
I was behind the Cuckoo Lane goal that game. The ball hit the stanchion so hard and bounced back into play. Many players didn't even know he had scored.
RIP Sir Bobby, England's greatest and most respected player ever.

One of Englands great and what a strike he had.
R.I.P Bobby Charlton

I was behind the Cuckoo Lane goal that game. The ball hit the stanchion so hard and bounced back into play. Many players didn't even know he had scored.
Was in the Osler, oh to be able to see the goals again.

RIP Bobby Charlton.

I was right behind it to. Stanchions were fixed into the ground. When Bobby's shot hit the stanchion it lifted about six inches!!
A wonderful player and man, a true legend RIP.
Geoff Hurst the only surviving member of the 1966 winning team now.

Grew up with my gramps playing me vhs of Sir Bob. What a player , my gramps had no affiliation to Man Utd (unfortunately he was a reading fan) but loved him for the player he was and the fact that he had the privilege of watching him win the World Cup. Some people don’t strive to be legends, it just comes to them. RIP

Big shame but we knew this was on the cards given his age, his brother's death and the alzheimers. Before my time but we all know the legend.

RIP Bobby Charlton. I recall him making a presentation on pitch at The Manor in the 80s or early 90s. Even that felt like a privilege - to be able to say I'd 'seen Bobby Charlton'... :cry:

I was there back in 1972, or whenever it was, seconds to go when that 30 yarder rocket flew past Burton, hit the stanchion in the top corner and it was hit with such ferocity that the ball rebounded about 40 yards back out !!!

Of all Charltons goals that there’s coverage of that’s the best one I saw him score, those efforts from range v Portugal, Benfica etc were tap ins compared to that one he got down the Cuckoo Lane end. Unfortunately there’s no footage of it but he won’t have hit one any sweeter than that. I can still see it as clear as day in my minds eye, 50 years later.

Hard to say if he’s the best ever English player but he’s undoubtedly in the conversation. Seemed a gentle, humble man too. Ally that with his outrageous talent and it’s absolutely understandable why a lot will be lauding him as the greatest.

RIP.

I was there back in 1972, or whenever it was, seconds to go when that 30 yarder rocket flew past Burton, hit the stanchion in the top corner and it was hit with such ferocity that the ball rebounded about 40 yards back out !!!

Of all Charltons goals that there’s coverage of that’s the best one I saw him score, those efforts from range v Portugal, Benfica etc were tap ins compared to that one he got down the Cuckoo Lane end. Unfortunately there’s no footage of it but he won’t have hit one any sweeter than that. I can still see it as clear as day in my minds eye, 50 years later.

Hard to say if he’s the best ever English player but he’s undoubtedly in the conversation. Seemed a gentle, humble man too. Ally that with his outrageous talent and it’s absolutely understandable why a lot will be lauding him as the greatest.

RIP.
Watching some of his goals, it's fair to say that when he hit the ball it stayed hit. Two good feet too. Interested to see his goal v Oxford - got a link?

Watching some of his goals, it's fair to say that when he hit the ball it stayed hit. Two good feet too. Interested to see his goal v Oxford - got a link?

I’m sure there’s no footage of it. As you say he had a hell of a shot on him but also had great balance running with the ball and seemed to cut through defences with effortless ease. Not as skilful and magical as Best and probably not as deadly in the box as Law but a valid argument to say he was a more complete player than both of them. That said, I will always say Best was the absolute best player ever but that’s probably a bit of nostalgia kicking in as he was my hero as a little kid.

i was also at the game when Charlton scored that wonder goal. Being of the age i am i saw Charlton playing for the greatest team ever. The Busby Babes, a complete tragedy when most were killed in the Munich crash where Charlton was lucky to survive, we have had some great teams over the years but they were the best.
RIP Sir Bobby.

RIP Sir Bobby. He was a hero of mine. I too was at the game with the late screamer to equalise. Not sure if I have remembered correctly but throughout his career was he never booked? Someone on here will know

Met his brother Tommy at Rotherham through a friend of mine and asked him, he said Bobby was once booked but the booking was rescinded

Back
Top Bottom