Ex Player A-Z Best and Worst Players (continued)

Think we missed out p & q. For R jordan rhodes. Could see his quality in the few loan appearances he made for us as a young un.
Absolutely. Think he helped us through a tricky FA Cup match at Merthyr many years ago.

Think we missed out p & q. For R jordan rhodes. Could see his quality in the few loan appearances he made for us as a young un.
Rosie deserves a mention for best R's as does Dave Roberts and worst there are too many choices, Neville Roach, Michael Raynes, Sean Reck stand out for me.

Les Robinson as well, also forgot Marvellous Marvin. Oh hell I will have to go back to therapy, the nightmares will return.

Last edited:
I'll do 'P' then, so we don't forget it.

Best? Les Philips, I would have thought.
Although Alfie Potter obviously gets a mention for scoring the most important goal of the last quarter century (and a few other good ones besides)
And for a single season - Paul Powell in 99/00 was absolutely outstanding. Kept us up single-handed. Course then he did his knee, and he was pretty rubbish after that.

Worst? Well, Pekalski may have been, although it's hard to say without ever having seen him play.
But for my mind, it's Courtney Pitt. And I'd probably vote for him for every other letter of the alphabet as well.

Oh, and 'Q' - Best is Barry Quinn. Worst is Robert Quinn. Although neither was that bad/good!

Not many Qs but Pat Quartermain was probably the best. Could never play today, his trademark slide tackle would be red every time. Lined up the winger and took him and ball into the Manor wall. He would have loved playing at Northampton yesterday those conditions were made for him.

Best? Les Philips, I would have thought.
Although Alfie Potter obviously gets a mention for scoring the most important goal of the last quarter century (and a few other good ones besides)
And for a single season - Paul Powell in 99/00 was absolutely outstanding. Kept us up single-handed. Course then he did his knee, and he was pretty rubbish after that.

Worst? Well, Pekalski may have been, although it's hard to say without ever having seen him play.
But for my mind, it's Courtney Pitt. And I'd probably vote for him for every other letter of the alphabet as well.

Oh, and 'Q' - Best is Barry Quinn. Worst is Robert Quinn. Although neither was that bad/good!
Jimmy Phillips was a decent left back for us was David Bardsley for B.

S....Saunders, Seacole, Shotton, Slatter, Smart vs Salmon, End of

Shuker was before my time, but needs adding in the best list

Last edited:
Tom Newey was what he was. A technically hopeless but committed full back who could do the basics right. He's the embodiment of League 2 and formed an effective career out of limited resources. Any side who plays at League 2 will end up with those functional sorts in their side at some time or another. He's hardly the worst we've ever had.

As for O's - we've got an odd bunch.

Best - O'Dowda, Obita and Oldfield (old but evident talent)
Worst - Tony Obi - and never a popular choice despite probably not as bad as we remember him to be - Jon Obika
Worst Adrian O'dowd ? Signed from Villa , played a dozen or so before going to non league
Also worst Terry Donovan , came on loan , no goals and sent off in third match....not enquired for after that funnily enough !

Mike Salmon produced the single worst performance I've ever seen from an Oxford player - but it was only one game.
Jon Shepherd, Jamie Slabber, Tim Sills and Ashley Smith-Brown were all awful.

StokeU named most of the best, but Paul Simpson should also be on the shortlist.

Did you not see Philiskirk in action?

I`m getting in early for W - Guy Whittingham - the ultimate "one touch wonder".

Back
Top Bottom