Home Match Day Thread 30/01/2024 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That was a much better performance tonight I actually enjoyed the game something I was expecting to be honest. I'm happy we got the point but feel we should have won . I wasn't impressed with Portsmouth I think they will make the play offs but for me Bolton, Derby, Peterborough were all far better teams when we played them

Three of those four goals are horrendous.

Our equaliser is crazy. How did Pompey lose the ball there? How did they end up in that defensive shape? Who was watching Henry?

Do I care? Not really!
Not sure you can really blame Eastwood for either of those goals.

The first one is a point blank shot from six yards out which he has stopped and it’s then pinballed in.

The second is shot across goal at close range into the corner and it’s the defence which shouldn’t have let him walk into the box with the ball.

That beautiful ball round the corner by Tyler which led to his cross in the second half was beautiful to see. Used the pace and spin of the ball excellently. He really is progressing well.

Last edited:
We deserved the equalizer on balance of the game. We did well considering the enforced changes due to the 2 injuries. Leigh, Harris and both Tyler’s were excellent. We really are thread-bare, fingers crossed for some recruits tomorrow and thurs, we need them. Well done DB I think he got things right today with what he’s working with. Pompey like us are in a false position but there’s still a lot of the season left.

Last edited:
Almost a ‘township jive’ feel to some of their trumpet and percussion. Almost. Glad I wasn’t any closer though.
At times in the North Stand their trumpet, triangle, pub bell and band sounded not too dissimilar to a night at the proms and I was half expecting the gate at the fence end to open and in quite orderly fashion I could see the pom poms come a marching in....most threatening I must say-almost Salvation armyish.

The game :- should of beaten them as I thought they were nowhere near a table topping team but we didn't for some reason have the mentality to f*ck them right off. However, I did say in a post earlier today that if we had to score in the dying embers of the match then so be it and from a lead to going behind to snatching a point at the death then it can be classified as a bit of a win win but to be a good point we desperately need to crunch those biscuitmen on Saturday and secure the maximum most people would have expected from the two home games.

COYY'S

It just shows what a bit of pace in the team does. Burey was in and out of the game but he had two runs in the first half where he just got down the side and ran with it. He was level with his marker on both occasions but managed to ease away and get a ball across. It's such an outlet which we have badly missed over the last few months.

Get Dale and Marriott in and we'll actually have a few options, as Harris did well out wide when GO'D came on.

Not long in, well I didn’t expect that I thought we would lose and until Henry’s goal that’s all I could see. They were stronger than us and had far more possession but we worked hard and ground out a draw.
Well done OUFC and finally I thought O’Donker played really well when he came on.
Roll on Saturday.

It just shows what a bit of pace in the team does. Burey was in and out of the game but he had two runs in the first half where he just got down the side and ran with it. He was level with his marker on both occasions but managed to ease away and get a ball across. It's such an outlet which we have badly missed over the last few months.

Get Dale and Marriott in and we'll actually have a few options, as Harris did well out wide when GO'D came on.
Precisely.

We got to second by utilising pace and width. All of a sudden, we lose all of our pace and width to injury and it's somehow all Des's fault because he's not up to the job!

Crazy fools!

May have been mentioned but what the hell was that trumpet/horn about? Surely that's a joke?

A big improvement and I enjoyed the game.

The side-to-side passing between defenders was almost non-existent, our movement of the ball was much quicker than of late and our press was far more effective.

Great shift from Harris and Burey’s performance was very encouraging.

After some disappointing performances and results, I left the game feeling a bit brighter and we certainly warranted a draw.

Think Leigh was better in fairness. Harris also disappeared a bit from the game when he got moved out wide, albeit did fantastically well for Henry's goal.
Leigh looked more like his old self tonight..

Loved it towards the end of the game when a ball was played back to him, he looked like he was going to lay it / not do much but no! He puffed out his cheeks, pushed the ball forward and sprinted past their player.

Randoms;

Tyler G is worth a lot of money. Once he gets within shooting range he usually scores. Golddust player.

Tyler B frightening pace, ,unique running style , entertaining, defensive duties er not something he’s keen on.

O’Donkor. All we are saying is give us a goal, He looks a unit and he will come good.. But agree with the general sentiment , it’s now loan time.

Eastwood, a disastrous performance. Coventry game seems to have finished him off.

Pompey, how ponderous were they at the back! Play offs for them, they did have some notable performers though, ie Lane and particularly Bishop. High quality operator.

If we get Owen Dale in, well pleased , always impressed against us . Clever and a bit spiky with it.

Smyth, he’s a baller, but he’s not a right back. Find a place for him in the middle of the pitch.

Crowd, good, at last some life.Pompey do tend to get us going, dislikeable bunch of supporters.

Well done Des, lads showed some balls tonight.

Much much better tonight. We went forward with energy and speed, rather than the passing sideways and backwards we have too often resorted to in recent games. Well done to Des and the lads for coming very close to beating the league leaders which I believe our play deserved. Really looking forward to Saturday hopefully with a couple of new recruits. Play like we did tonight and we will beat Reading comfortably.
I wonder if the bugle playing Portsmouth fan went to the Les Dawson school of music.COYY

Back
Top Bottom