Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

It's a difficult one. Undoubtedly Murphy will want a decent increase to stay at Oxford. We set a bit of a precedent with Brannagan's contract to fend off Championship interest. The difference is that Cameron will guarantee you 40 games a season. I am not sure Murphy is quite so resilient as Cameron, and risk of being out for long periods is quite high. I would definitely offer him a contract with a wage increase but perhaps base more on bonuses.

Murphy may be offered a new contract.

We may think that all those fans chanting his name now we will make him feel welcome and wanted.

However these are the same fans that were chanting “What a waste of money” last season

He will go where he can get the best deal for him and his family, a footballers life is a short one (playing wise) and fans are so fickle

Murphy may be offered a new contract.

We may think that all those fans chanting his name now we will make him feel welcome and wanted.

However these are the same fans that were chanting “What a waste of money” last season

He will go where he can get the best deal for him and his family, a footballers life is a short one (playing wise) and fans are so fickle

Although one of the deciders for a best deal may involve his own and family's happiness, not just finances. This may not be anything to do with fans but rather with a manager who clearly trusts him and that they seem to get on well. He doesn't seem to have had that with his previous 4 managers, definitely Preston where the manager publically slammed him and Liam Manning.

Although one of the deciders for a best deal may involve his own and family's happiness, not just finances. This may not be anything to do with fans but rather with a manager who clearly trusts him and that they seem to get on well. He doesn't seem to have had that with his previous 4 managers, definitely Preston where the manager publically slammed him and Liam Manning.
Why did the Preston manager slam Liam Manning?

I’m sorry I don’t think he’s yet on an even keel with Oufc. He signed a 2 yr deal and has been excellent for a couple of months right at the end of it where there is a general admission that he’s very very good.
I am hopeful that we will see him in an Oufc shirt next season.

If you want to remove knee jerk, hypocritical fans from football crowds we might as well go back to playing behind closed doors.
Knee-jerk hypocrisy is fine, but to barrack one's own player like that during a match is something I'd hope is just true of a small minority. I wouldn't have dreamt of doing it (even to the likes of Jamie Hanson!)

I think Josh has struggled until Des came in and put an arm round him.Not all players are the same some née a bit of love if you like.Thats why I think he will be better off staying with us.

Hmmmmm.....reading that article, I hear a player that's still ambitious and thinks he can still make his mark at the higher levels of the game. Albeit one who also cares deeply about his family, and therefore might not want to move them too far.

If we go up, I reckon he'll stay. But if we don't......it's going to depend on who comes in for him. I don't think the very top Championship sides will - he's 29, and has had three good months in the past five years; think they can afford to scour the world for players with a similar talent level but less risk. The middle of the division is full of teams that are presumably on his 'No way' list - Bristol City, Preston, Cardiff.

But if someone like a Watford, Stoke, Swansea or (worst case scenario) Norwich comes in for him, then it's going to be hard for us to compete.

Knee-jerk hypocrisy is fine, but to barrack one's own player like that during a match is something I'd hope is just true of a small minority. I wouldn't have dreamt of doing it (even to the likes of Jamie Hanson!)
Yep. Hard agree on this. It’s my own golden rule - never turn on your own player with negative songs.

Works hard defensively as well, because as happy as I am to see Browne get fit, he didn’t do it when he came on as much. Dale didn’t stop. He brings more than just his attacking play
I thought Browne looked a little lethargic when he came on as well with regard to tracking back as compared to recent cameos. I wondered whether Des said to take it easier as we’d already won the game but thought it odd.

I thought Browne looked a little lethargic when he came on as well with regard to tracking back as compared to recent cameos. I wondered whether Des said to take it easier as we’d already won the game but thought it odd.
It looked to me like he has lost a yard of pace, which wouldn’t be surprising given his injuries. Was one point in the second half where you would have expected him to win a foot race against their right back but didn’t/couldn’t make it.

It looked to me like he has lost a yard of pace, which wouldn’t be surprising given his injuries. Was one point in the second half where you would have expected him to win a foot race against their right back but didn’t/couldn’t make it.

Agree, either has lost a yard of pace or didn’t trust his body to go flat out past the fullback, it was an interesting moment.

I’m sure he’ll have a few more cameos between now and the end of the season, even if he’s not Oxford next season let’s hope for the young man’s career he can stay injury free.

It will all come down to his agent. After the lean years following his Cardiff payday he is likely to fancy a bit of cash.

Luckily, we have a great relationship with New Era historically…

Back
Top Bottom