Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

I agree he is in great form. He is 29 years old and will want a 3 year deal. If he doesn't get what he wants at Oxford I'm sure other clubs will take him on with the terms he wants. Lets hope he hasn't called the snake to discuss loyalty
As Manning refused to pick Murphy when he was fit I think that's fairly unlikely.

W atching Murphy Harris and Dale upfront against Burton was a really joyful experience-It's not long since many were remarking on how tedious DesBall is. It's early days and Burton weren't good, but how exciting to have players who combine like that and if we can have those three training together working together - with midfielders who know what they're capable of

couple of interesting quotes from that piece

A turbulent maiden season was plagued by injuries, although he remains puzzled by those who have tagged him as an injury prone player
Oxford's desperation to get Murphy back ahead of schedule last season ultimately proved his undoing. Rushing back led to further breakdowns which tarnished his first year in yellow.

Manning telling Murphy in no uncertain terms that he was surplus to requirements earlier in the season... "Instantly, the way that I saw it in my head was, 'I'm not having someone tell me that I'm not good enough.' And I think at this stage of my career, it was either going to go one way or the other: it fizzles out and I probably don't ever reach the heights or expectations that I wanted for my career, or I turn it on its head and do well at Oxford."

There was malicious stuff written about him here last season by ‘pretend ITKs’ that won’t have helped. You still see comments about him only playing when he feels like it

I was going to bring that up, but it's more important that we focus on the next 4/7 games rather than what has happened before.

We've spoken about atmosphere and the need to get fans out of their seats at times. Josh Murphy does that. You can sense a real energy around the stands every time he gets the ball. Keep him on top form and no team can live with him.

Nice to see him supporting Desmondo
He loves working with Des. There's plenty to criticise Buckingham for in his time here but you have to give credit for the change in Murphy, from someone not trusted to play more than a bit part to being one of the best players in the league is some turnaround and I'd hope he wants to stay next season.

Looking forwards to seeing him do it against a better quality of opposition today.

Decent read.

Good on him for reacting the way he has. Can’t deny him the turnaround. It can go either way as he says and he’s shown the grit and determination that probably took him to the top in the first place.

He converts me more with every game which I couldn’t be happier about. He should never have been more motivated than today, up against two of the best wide players league one has to offer. One could end up a premier league player next season if a few things go for him. A chance to show them how it’s done.

“It's sink or swim - and he has no intention of doing the latter.”
Err ….
Journalists aren't what they used to be -🤣 think it's called proofreading - also a noun missed out in opening para-ah well.

Journalists aren't what they used to be -🤣 think it's called proofreading - also a noun missed out in opening para-ah well.
It’s weird because I did think - ooh refreshing to see an article written by a human not a bot. The mistakes are maybe a byproduct of that.

In just three months, Murphy has gone from "Can't wait for his contract to be up so we'll stop wasting money" to "OK, maybe give him a one year deal on pay-as-you-play terms" to "OK, maybe extend him for a couple of years" to "Here Josh, have a blank cheque......."

Not sure I've ever seen the like at Oxford. Just shows what a change (or two) of managers can bring.

Back
Top Bottom