Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

To be fair on the midfield, he's already said it is good enough too.

He's nothing if not consistent, as he consistently likes to point out.

I'm not psychic. I couldn't have forseen the Matete injury, McGuane's spectacular falling from grace and Smyth not getting a look in after a wonder strike at Charlton and I knew nothing of a condition that is supposedly affecting McEacheran. I suppose you could? If only I was as clever as you hey!!!!👋👋👋

• Haha
Reactions: m
Possibly controvertially I'm not that bothered by this, think we struggle to fit him in with how Des plays and think his output when not scoring screamers is below par
Tyler is 20 years old and has improved season on season ( 8 goals this season as well)
Having said that, if we get a very good offer and he wants to go, then yes I suspect that he will be off.

The terms Murphy is on has been hugely exaggerated. He's currently on wages comparable to Dale and would likely extend on similar terms.

With that sort of knowledge on players wages (unsure how you know but anyway) you could have saved a lot of people a lot of time ranting on about the extortionate wage Murphy was on while he was sat there rotting under KR. If only we'd all known he was on a basic L1 wage like Dale.

I’d personally tie Bodin and Henry down to new deals as well…
Well it was April 1st still just about when you posted this!

In all seriousness if we are ambitious and forward thinking then both need to be released this summer. Great service over the years for OUFC but we have to bring in new blood that is fitter, faster and hopefully available for selection more often.

Equally Matete and Edwards would be stupid risks, especially if we are going to offer Murphy a new deal.

Just trawl back thru the pages of this thread, and until the recent ones everyone was saying Josh must go in the summer and what a bad signing he’d been. We have to assume this upturn in form is due to now being fully fit at last and the manager allowing him the freedom to play his game, rather than needing a new contract here or elsewhere in the summer and once that’s agreed then old habits return.

On the right terms for the club to minimise any risk then yes give Murphy a new deal. It’s all very well having a blinder against the Fleetwoods or Cheltenhams of this league, but that quality needs to shine through against the bigger and better teams and help us win those games especially in the middle of winter, on horrible wet and windy midweek nights when he’s regularly gone missing.

If we give Murphy a new contract then we can’t have risks elsewhere, and any new deal must put OUFC first and be sensible. It’s been great to see him playing so well, he does get bums off of seats during the game and get the fans excited, let’s hope this is not just a short term upturn, but the real Josh at last able to produce what he’s capable of and continues to do so for us.

Murphy is our best attacking player and clearly a class above.

I had huge reservations about Harris, but whilst still not entirely convinced he's definitely improved. However, put a 'proper' striker in that team and Murphy gets bags of assists.

Whether we offer Murphy a new contract shouldn't even be a question, it's just about whether a 'bigger' club comes in with a better offer.

Tyler is 20 years old and has improved season on season ( 8 goals this season as well)
Having said that, if we get a very good offer and he wants to go, then yes I suspect that he will be off.
Yes, he probably will but he might also take note of a few others who have left at a youngish age and not really gone on to the relative greatness that might have been expected

Murphy is our best attacking player and clearly a class above.

I had huge reservations about Harris, but whilst still not entirely convinced he's definitely improved. However, put a 'proper' striker in that team and Murphy gets bags of assists.

Whether we offer Murphy a new contract shouldn't even be a question, it's just about whether a 'bigger' club comes in with a better offer.

To be fair to Robinson he did say something along the lines that Murphy will be the best player in L1 when he signed. I think we all laughed at that suggestion at the time - and for a good period later - and while there are still probably a few better it's fair to say he's in the conversation.

Harris gets him and as he said you don't sign for £11m for nothing but all kinds of stuff has got in the way of which we have only been speculating.

Tyler is an outstanding prospect who has the potential to become a Champ / Premier player .
He could have gone in Jan but chose not to but there are plenty of Clubs out there who will try this summer.

With that sort of knowledge on players wages (unsure how you know but anyway) you could have saved a lot of people a lot of time ranting on about the extortionate wage Murphy was on while he was sat there rotting under KR. If only we'd all known he was on a basic L1 wage like Dale.

Firstly it's really not difficult to find out players wages. Secondly, I often posted about the nonsense being spoken about Josh Murphy refusing to play and being on Championship wages etc. Unfortunately, a lie told a million times on here becomes the truth and this was ignored.

Firstly it's really not difficult to find out players wages. Secondly, I often posted about the nonsense being spoken about Josh Murphy refusing to play and being on Championship wages etc. Unfortunately, a lie told a million times on here becomes the truth and this was ignored.

Fair enough. Save me looking, how much is Murphy on?

Unfortunately some posters who continued to make themselves seem ITK were taken seriously and people believed what ever they said.

Can we get back to Murphy related and put up a poll on whether to offer him a contract?
Offer nothing
Offer a similar contract
Offer him a better contract
Assume his agent has something already lined up

Murphy has been our best player in 2024.

There is no argument about that in my opinion.

Maybe Buckingham really has fount the right way of managing him. Maybe the signing of Bennett (his best friend) has helped. Maybe he knows he’s out of contract in a few weeks time and it’s a major moment in his career.

But let’s not re-write history on this thread with utter tripe.

Can we get back to Murphy related and put up a poll on whether to offer him a contract?
Offer nothing
Offer a similar contract
Offer him a better contract
Assume his agent has something already lined up
I would offer him a years contract with an option of a 2nd year (in the clubs favour). The terms of the contract are up to the club to what they feel he is worth and how his money is made up.

Agree re Murphy, today was probably peak Murphy and if he replicates that next season on a consistent basis then he’s a shoe in starter. With a stronger squad next season I think we’d see Dale as more a solid squad player. The likes of Bodin I’d keep too but very much to bolster the squad rather than a starter. For me, it’s a keeper, two right backs, possibly an upgrade on Bennett if Des is still manager and continues to not fancy Leigh. Definitely another centre back. A defensive midfielder with some real presence, that lad Lawal looked good for them today early on but then faded. I’d add a bit more up top too, not sure Harris, Goodwin and a returning O’Donkor are going to scare the living daylights out of defences.
ODonkor needs another loan next season.

Back
Top Bottom