Away Match Day Thread 23/12/2023 L1: Northampton Town v OUFC

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well that was entertaining. You looked off your game today.
Your recruitment is none of my business but Des Buckingham does look like a bloke you met down the pub that used to play a bit rather than a football manager.
See you on the 20th
Merry Christmas
That is three NT fans that have posted on here now following the game. Honestly, it's just another game to them!

That is three NT fans that have posted on here now following the game. Honestly, it's just another game to them!
I’d love to know how many posters from this forum run straight to the forum of the team we’ve just beaten to post on their match day threads.
At a guess it would be very very few if any! It is the last thing I’d think of doing after my team had just won!

Thanks for posting that, I’m even more depressed now than at the game.
The concept of attacking a cross and marking players seems lost on both Moore and Brown, I know I’m in the minority on here but thought both of them were equally shite today.
Also I don’t get the tactic of Beadle, even when not under pressure, rolling the ball to Moore when he’s facing our own goal. We did it so often today it looked deliberate. With Moore not having the best of turning circles it’s all a bit odd.
Bro thinks cause someone doesn’t win a header they’ve had a bad game 🤣 we have some npcs as fans

Personally, given the position we were in at the time and the unusual situation of looking for a manager when a team is doing well, I agree, I would have gone for Eustace but we didn’t and Des is the man the board chose.

Given time I think Des will actually do quite well but I feel he certainly needs to have at least the January window before we judge him. He has come in to a squad that was in the middle of a rebuild and even Manning was going to need another window to really complete this squad. The problem Des has is that he has come into that rebuild but with someone else’s squad.
In hindsight the appointment of Des has not been done in anything like a sane manner. If we wanted to recruit him, his assistant who had to have experience, had to be in the building within a week. That appointment needed to have been agreed in principle before Des signed. The analyst should have been identified as part of the final job interview.
We appear to be in getting manager in, job done mode. It never is, the support team is vital. In this particular situation it was even more important. We have a manager who is learning League One on the job with limited support.
The issues of style, belief and confidence are failing. This has the signs of being a complete shitfest.
We appeared to require a continuity replacement and seem to have appointed the exact opposite.
We came away from Brisbane Road, players, fans as one, turning adversity into a positive. We crawl out of Sixfields in disarray. Somebody needs to review what has changed, what has gone wrong and reset.

John Eustace was the man for me, but TW and GF have gone for the Local lad. He was many peoples choice on here, I wonder how many of them that wanted Desmond, are having second thoughts.

The season is falling apart quickly, and we are going downwards before the Xmas decorations.

My first impressions are that this club will not be getting out of this league, in fact we look far more likely to stagnate in Lge 1 forever. This club should have appointed a far more experienced manager, but I will remain a little more patient with Des, but Jesus Christ man get a f*****g grip.

I think it’s too soon to write Des off, but we need him to have an Appleton away at Cambridge moment and be clear and assertive with what he wants - both from the current squad, how he wants the team to play and what profiles he wants in January.

In hindsight the appointment of Des has not been done in anything like a sane manner. If we wanted to recruit him, his assistant who had to have experience, had to be in the building within a week. That appointment needed to have been agreed in principle before Des signed. The analyst should have been identified as part of the final job interview.
We appear to be in getting manager in, job done mode. It never is, the support team is vital. In this particular situation it was even more important. We have a manager who is learning League One on the job with limited support.
The issues of style, belief and confidence are failing. This has the signs of being a complete shitfest.
We appeared to require a continuity replacement and seem to have appointed the exact opposite.
We came away from Brisbane Road, players, fans as one, turning adversity into a positive. We crawl out of Sixfields in disarray. Somebody needs to review what has changed, what has gone wrong and reset.
I think it has all taken too long but don't forget Short has plenty of experience as an assistant and has been in the building the whole time.

I hope this Buckingham venture comes off considering what it cost. There now seems plenty of doubt now on this forum.

The fact we still haven’t brought in any support staff for Des, over 5 weeks on from his appointment, is alarming and it doesn’t do Des any favours what so ever.
Another reason why I’d say Des deserves some slack because it is clear the people above him (Tim & Grant) are failing him right now.

I’d love to know how many posters from this forum run straight to the forum of the team we’ve just beaten to post on their match day threads.
At a guess it would be very very few if any! It is the last thing I’d think of doing after my team had just won!
Yes, three of us from around 5,000 that went to the game. I believe the youngsters call it banter but if you prefer to be left alone I'm happy to give it a rest

Just to be clear chaps. NTFC do NOT see OUFC as any sort of special rival. I’ll think you’ll find most teams in this league really don’t like you and enjoy beating you because you are so delusional and arrogant!
Anyway, at least you now know that you are indeed in the same division as NTFC!!
Good luck for the rest of 2023.
I’m sure you know every fan at every club.

The fact we still haven’t brought in any support staff for Des, over 5 weeks on from his appointment, is alarming and it doesn’t do Des any favours what so ever.
Another reason why I’d say Des deserves some slack because it is clear the people above him (Tim & Grant) are failing him right now.

Surely that should of been sorted at the same time when appointing Des? Most managers bring backroom staff with them that they have worked with before but obviously Des came from Mumbai so that was never going to be an option.

We were in a great position at the time and should of bought an experienced manager in that also has backroom staff to bring with him.

Yes, three of us from around 5,000 that went to the game. I believe the youngsters call it banter but if you prefer to be left alone I'm happy to give it a rest
You do you hun. Just most of us tend to enjoy games that we win on our own forum.

My first choice would have been Crofts from Brighton, but I was happy enough with any of the main contenders, Des included, tbh.

Des came in with a ‘reputation’ of being a great coach. He hasn’t coached.

Everyone, including him, now blaming lack of support staff are giving him excuses he doesn’t deserve. He has an analyst, he has coaches - if he doesn’t want to work with them after coming into the club knowing the set up - does he deserve those excuses?

The club employed him in good faith, they have been shocked at his lack of coaching ability and ability to work with all the players and other staff. The hunt has been on for an assistant and an analyst partly for him but mainly to help him.

Sad turn of events for what the club thought would be a good appointment.

The new regime in the club have good staff but they don’t realise until it’s too late (Ed Denton, Wayne Brown, John Mousinho). The owners need to start valuing current staff as well as the fans.

I think it’s too soon to write Des off, but we need him to have an Appleton away at Cambridge moment and be clear and assertive with what he wants - both from the current squad, how he wants the team to play and what profiles he wants in January.

Appleton’s ‘Cambridge away’ moment came after his 15th match. He also saw that as an opportunity to bin off a couple of his own signings - Brian Howard and Junior Brown. Des Buckingham has had eight matches and no transfer windows. The one player he has brought in has undoubtedly improved the team.

Yet there are a few on here with an attitude of ‘told you so’ and cannot wait to post about it. Many on here would have had Appleton here after KR left and tend to forget that MApp was not popular for much of 2014-15.

Get a grip. If you cannot see the limitations of what XI DB can put out, give your head a wobble. I’m not going to pretend it’s all rosy - I’m frustrated with our front line as much as anyone and would play Bodin as CF in every game until January if I could - but the same posters with the knives out and the same digs at DB only being here because he’s local is tiring.

DB gets judged by me in January. A lot rests on that to see how serious we are about ‘going for it’ this season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom