Home Match Day Thread +++ 21/08/18 OUFC v Accrington Stanley +++

At least we played with pace and energy in the first half, so that’s the most encouraging aspect. Browne and Whyte will scare defences when they run at them. I’m a bit puzzled as to the lack of confidence in Smith. Has he been given a fair chance yet, really? With The addition of Holmes (and I think we’ve seen the last of Hall) we have good attacking midfield options. Obika is a waste of space.
The defence is a mess. Nelson is (a) not fit (b) not interested and (c) not a leader. Mous is being given unfair stick; he does his best and is competent. The full backs are a worry: I don’t think Norman was tested as a defensive player last night and the other three options are lacking the necessary skills and/or organisation. Our defensive midfield needs to defend better too.
The next 6 games (till the end of September) are crucial. After Sunderland away we’ve got some winnable ones. If we haven’t managed at least ten points by then I think Tiger needs to get his claws out.

But he got one for and even type of challenge maybe even less than than the one they should have had for their challenge on him

I don't think Browne's booking came from a similar challenge at all.

Browne's booking came from the cynical clipping down of a player after he'd [Brown] bizarrely stopped playing when the ball didn't go out. Seemed to be entirely of frustration - which I can understand,

The foul on Browne which led to the free kick was a bit soft I thought, and definitely not a booking.

Reading through the comments here and whilst the same points are understandably rising the one that troubles me is fitness.

How on earth are we in August and talking about players tiring after a mere five matches? Who was responsible for having the team fighting fit?

Especially after hearing KR saying that the players won’t know what’s hit them when the went to Ireland.

Time to gel! Time to gel is a term used by managers, pundits and fans for a team that’s simply not good enough. Yes there are slight improvements from playing together and knowing others attributes or limitations but that only takes a few training sessions and a couple of matches.
Pompey have 6 new players all in their first team. I guess they just ‘gell’d’ quicker?
The reason we played better last night was because of the team we put out. Just look at who scored our goals!
Mackie, Garbutt, Norman, McMahon and Obika, don’t need to Gel they’re ‘simply’ not good enough! Something seems to have effected Nelson and Dickie too. No wonder we’re leaking goals.
Our recruitment was poor in the window. Clearly didn’t go as expected. How we don’t have cover at left back and we have an unproven striker and Obika up front is crazy.

Still, we have players to come back in and once Holmes and Carruthers are back we’ll be stronger but we only have a core of 12 or 13 players worthy of the first team.

Norman is a good aquisition, not sure where you’re coming from there?

Another thing I noticed that was particularly missing last night is communication across the back line. They barely talk to each other. There appeared to be absolutely no talking, encouraging, advising where to go and who to mark etc, between Nelson and Mous in particular. Do they not get on?

I actually thought Mous was fairly vocal, whereas, Nelson was quiet considering he’s supposed to be the captain. Just think he’s concentrating on his own goal in terms of getting back to full MATCH fitness.

Browne's booking came from the cynical clipping down of a player after he'd [Brown] bizarrely stopped playing when the ball didn't go out. Seemed to be entirely of frustration - which I can understand,

The foul on Browne which led to the free kick was a bit soft I thought, and definitely not a booking.

It weren’t soft it should have been a case of “ taking one for the team “ he is almost in the box when he is fouled the ref should know this was to prevent a decent effort or an attack on the goal

At least we played with pace and energy in the first half, so that’s the most encouraging aspect. Browne and Whyte will scare defences when they run at them. I’m a bit puzzled as to the lack of confidence in Smith. Has he been given a fair chance yet, really? With The addition of Holmes (and I think we’ve seen the last of Hall) we have good attacking midfield options. Obika is a waste of space.
The defence is a mess. Nelson is (a) not fit (b) not interested and (c) not a leader. Mous is being given unfair stick; he does his best and is competent. The full backs are a worry: I don’t think Norman was tested as a defensive player last night and the other three options are lacking the necessary skills and/or organisation. Our defensive midfield needs to defend better too.
The next 6 games (till the end of September) are crucial. After Sunderland away we’ve got some winnable ones. If we haven’t managed at least ten points by then I think Tiger needs to get his claws out.

Do we think Mackie could play the loan striker? Just wonder as this is apparently where he used to play and might not need to make unnecessary runs where he clearly isn’t capable of at the moment.

People sometimes bring up the size of clubs and try and equate that to success on the pitch.

So far in our 2 home defeats Fleetwood brought 87 fans and I guess Accrington about the same, in fact I noticed their only supporters bus was a 28 seater last night.

That really makes you think, not that I personally think that way..

Twice they fouled our players on the edge of the box and no yellow cards and twice we had players booked for normal fouls on the half way line.

Do we think Mackie could play the loan striker? Just wonder as this is apparently where he used to play and might not need to make unnecessary runs where he clearly isn’t capable of at the moment.
Mackie isn't fit enough to play anywhere on the pitch unfortunately. And even if he was, his goals tally recently has been 15 goals in over 130 games. About 5 a season.

Glimmers of hope there but ultimately we collapsed, and predictably so.

Obika: a mystery - looked a changed man pre-season, now frankly doesn’t look like scoring at all. I hope I’m wrong but as a striking or any other threat he’s offering nothing.

Biggest issue for me is Nelson. Our defence is negligible at the moment: and our captain seems to have checked out. KR said pre match that he was deciding between Dickie (another who is underperforming) and Nelson, but you don’t drop your captain. That shouldn’t be an issue next time up, Nelson didn’t appear to do anything captain-like at all, he left it to Mous - who I thought had a decent game.

And as for KR’s post match interview: what a pile of hot air. There’s no thought filter on his gob is there? That scoffing at the idea of bringing in Raglan, who may or may not be the answer, was deplorable.
It was Mous who was going to talk to the ref to challenge decisions. Thought that was Nelsons job. I get the feeling his head could be elsewhere or he's not at all happy.

Another thing I noticed that was particularly missing last night is communication across the back line. They barely talk to each other. There appeared to be absolutely no talking, encouraging, advising where to go and who to mark etc, between Nelson and Mous in particular. Do they not get on?

Mous appeared to be captain last night in all but name. Every time one of our players was given a talking to by the ref or about to be booked it was Mousinho rather Nelson who was talking to the ref to find out what was being said.

Perhaps Nelson is concentrating on his fitness,match sharpness and his own game rather than having to worry other players?

Mous appeared to be captain last night in all but name. Every time one of our players was given a talking to by the ref or about to be booked it was Mousinho rather Nelson who was talking to the ref to find out what was being said.

Perhaps Nelson is concentrating on his fitness,match sharpness and his own game rather than having to worry other players?
If so, then he needs the embalms taken of him. But with Mous not always starting them who/what KR can’t find his starting 11 a bit clueless I think.

People sometimes bring up the size of clubs and try and equate that to success on the pitch.

So far in our 2 home defeats Fleetwood brought 87 fans and I guess Accrington about the same, in fact I noticed their only supporters bus was a 28 seater last night.

That really makes you think, not that I personally think that way..
Bournemouth being a case in point. Only 4% of their income comes through the turnstiles.

Back
Top Bottom