Away Match Day Thread +++ 19/02/2019 Accrington v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Since August, we’ve seen the following leave or binned from the defence - McMahon (RB), Norman (RB), Carroll (RB/DM), Ricardinho (LB) and Raglan (CB).

I’m not going to make a hero out of any of those and say we’d be 12th in the league if we had them – all had pluses and minuses – however, since then we’ve signed no other defensive options other than indifferent DMs (Hanson, Kashi, Dai Wai-tsun).

Good teams have players queuing up to take the place of the people whose form drops off. Sure, injuries have struck us this season, but our options all over the park have been limited all season. Nelson or Dickie drop out? In comes dubious-as-a-CB Mousinho. Out goes Garbutt? In comes part-timer Ruffels. McMahon leaves? Oh, hold on. We’ve moved on all of our RBs. Let’s play a DM there or continue to delude ourselves that Sam Long is good enough to play L1 football. We’ve looked limited because we’re relying on limited players.

The recruitment all season has been dreadful. Little wins like Whyte and Sykes are meaningless when the bigger picture isn’t addressed. As I’ve said before, we’re a jigsaw that’s missing a fair number of pieces.

It seems pretty obvious the recruitment is disjointed. Some players you can see the recruitment rationale (although Sykes and Whyte came on the recommendation of the N.I manager) however players such as Kashi are obviously KR going for what he knows. Thats always a concern for me when managers only want to work with the same players

Since August, we’ve seen the following leave or binned from the defence - McMahon (RB), Norman (RB), Carroll (RB/DM), Ricardinho (LB) and Raglan (CB).

I’m not going to make a hero out of any of those and say we’d be 12th in the league if we had them – all had pluses and minuses – however, since then we’ve signed no other defensive options other than indifferent DMs (Hanson, Kashi, Dai Wai-tsun).

Good teams have players queuing up to take the place of the people whose form drops off. Sure, injuries have struck us this season, but our options all over the park have been limited all season. Nelson or Dickie drop out? In comes dubious-as-a-CB Mousinho. Out goes Garbutt? In comes part-timer Ruffels. McMahon leaves? Oh, hold on. We’ve moved on all of our RBs. Let’s play a DM there or continue to delude ourselves that Sam Long is good enough to play L1 football. We’ve looked limited because we’re relying on limited players.

The recruitment all season has been dreadful. Little wins like Whyte and Sykes are meaningless when the bigger picture isn’t addressed. As I’ve said before, we’re a jigsaw that’s missing a fair number of pieces.

Can't argue with that. To recruit two RBs in the summer and bin them off in January, because you are moving your Centre mid there speaks volumes

Nelson is decent no doubt, but he was no better than the others last night. Timing was all over the place at one point. In general our centre halves don’t dominate their area anywhere near enough when it comes to defending high balls coming into the box. I don’t know whether it is poor positioning, a lack of understanding, who knows. And there doesn’t seem to be any one person, capable of organizing our defence (in-game). Add to that, when we concede everyone starts pointing the finger at each other. It’s a right shambles. Think back to the defences of old with the likes of Crosby. A player like that in our back four now and we would be no where near the relegation zone. They should make a compilation of the goals conceded this season and use it to teach future generations on how not to defend.

Nelson is alone! Has been all season. Still we won’t have to worry about that next year because he’ll be gone too.
If KR is left in charge we’ll be out of the football league again!
Aren’t they supposed to be analysing video footage of the game. Aren’t the players embarrassed they can’t even stay goal side or actually move wth a opponent let alone actually challenge.

The sad news Teacher is that the club cannot afford to sack KR - they cannot 'afford' to even pay a small painter & decorator who is still owed money for his work at the Practice Ground!! The true depth of the s**t that we are in has not been revealed yet in my opinion - Tiger calls them .."bumps in the road" - I reckon the wheels are just about to come off. I have been supporting United for over 50 years & I feel this is one its darkest periods.
The club can afford to get rid of KR. Tiger can do it on tick the same way as he bought the club. Put KR on gardening leave for the rest of his contract and replace him with Chrissie Allen. Cost zero.

Nelson is alone! Has been all season. Still we won’t have to worry about that next year because he’ll be gone too.
If KR is left in charge we’ll be out of the football league again!
Aren’t they supposed to be analysing video footage of the game. Aren’t the players embarrassed they can’t even stay goal side or actually move wth a opponent let alone actually challenge.

There is obviously a lot of confusion, that is evident. Ultimately it comes down to whoever built the squad.

If we survive, or not, the back four surely is going to be completely different next season. Or (-Nelson) do we currently have a decent L2 defence? :)))

Agreed.

Hanson, Dickie and Mousinho, regardless of position, guarantee at least one serious error per game regardless of where they play. In the latters case, it's mitigated in DM a bit, because he's got Nelse Dickie behind him or he's further up the field. In CB he's a f*g liability.

Hanson, I've noted, is extremely balanced. He seems to match one great pass/cross with a guaranteed two hoofers either into touch or, worse, to an opponent. Of late, his simple game has improved....but christ...for the money we paid, woeful.

Dickie just strikes me as what he is....Naive and his decision making lets him down.

Ruffels, to be fair, seems to be growing into the LB role better, but, yes...ultimately, he's part of a porous defesive unit.

The one solid defender we have is Nelse.
Agree with all that except Nelson has looked like a player that knows he's on his way. His performances have been nowhere near what they were during his first season.

Hello Gentlemen,
Stanley fan here in peace.
Felt I had to come on here to express total respect for your performance last night.
I've followed Stanley from non-league to our present position + FA Cup games against some of the big boys.
In all that time, I've never witnessed a more never-say-die performance from any losing side at the Wham.
The general consensus from our side is that we were lucky last night to convert all our chances & you were unlucky not to get at least a point from the game. Goals apart, you outplayed us for long periods, especially second half.
After being 2-0 down, then 3-1 your players gave 101% to get back to 3-2.
When 7 minutes of extra time were announced, we fully expected you to score a 3rd.
It was only because you put so much effort into attack that we managed to grab a 4th goal.
If you play like that for the rest of the season, you'll have no worries.
Big thanks to all your supporters who made the effort to travel up to Lancashire on a cold, wet winter Tuesday night.
Must have been a long journey home after the result but don't be too despondent, your guys gave their all.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Just seen the highlights and Robinson’s interview. Firstly, he looks a beaten man who’s out of ideas and motivation.
Secondly, the defending for all of their goals and chances was Sunday League stuff. Stick to a man and those chances don’t happen. Their second goal was a case of us backing off. We have 2 guys playing full backs who simply can’t play the position and we have cumbersome central defenders. I hate to say it but we’re down already.
Hello Gentlemen,
Stanley fan her in peace.
Felt I had to come on here to express total respect for your performance last night.
I've followed Stanley from non-league to our present position + FA Cup games against some of the big boys.
In all that time, I've never witnessed a more never-say-die performance from any losing side at the Wham.
The general consensus from our side is that we were lucky last night to convert all our chances & you were unlucky not to get at least a point from the game. Goals apart, you outplayed us for long periods, especially second half.
When 7 minutes of extra time were announced, we fully expected you to score a 3rd.
It was only because you put so much effort into attack that we managed to grab a 4th goal.
Big thanks to all your supporters who made the effort to travel up to Lancashire on a cold, wet winter Tuesday night.
Must have been a long journey home after the result but don't be too despondent, your guys gave their all.
are you karl?

It seems pretty obvious the recruitment is disjointed. Some players you can see the recruitment rationale (although Sykes and Whyte came on the recommendation of the N.I manager) however players such as Kashi are obviously KR going for what he knows. Thats always a concern for me when managers only want to work with the same players

Terrible terrible recruitment is why we are in this bloody mess. People should be sacked!

Garbutt, Hanson, McMahon, Dai, Norman, Smith all absolute cart horses. Whoever identified these clowns should be stacking shelves in Tesco. I be by the end of the season Kashi and Sinclair are added to the list.

Holmes was a massive gamble that we shouldn’t have needed to take. But we were so desperate for players that I think KR would’ve signed my mum if she had an agent.

Add to that a complete lack of cover in defence.

Browne, Whyte and now Graham look good but Something is effecting the team

The club can afford to get rid of KR. Tiger can do it on tick the same way as he bought the club. Put KR on gardening leave for the rest of his contract and replace him with Chrissie Allen. Cost zero.

Not sure about that, Allen will want more money if he steps up. But I see what you're saying.

In any case, sacking KR may end up financially better in the long run. Let's say sacking him costs 100k for the rest of his contract but we keep him and then go down. Brannagan wants to leave as he doesn't want to play L2. Imagine he goes for over 100k less than he's worth, loss of a saleable asset in the first place and loss of what it would have cost to sack KR with the hope of staying up.

But seeing as we're going in front of the beak over 240,000 quid it's a fallacy to suggest we're going to sack KR in any case. He's going nowhere no matter how much we P**s and moan.

There is obviously a lot of confusion, that is evident. Ultimately it comes down to whoever built the squad.

If we survive, or not, the back four surely is going to be completely different next season. Or (-Nelson) do we currently have a decent L2 defence? :)))
Nope we currently have a national league defence!

I'd take a bet now to say, even if Robbo was sacked, we'd use a caretaker til season end. There's no evidence our owners could get their act together quickly enough to get a worthwhile replacement in.

Given his previous choice of Clothead and Gobbo I wouldn't hold out much hope on his next choice.

Given his previous choice of Clothead and Gobbo I wouldn't hold out much hope on his next choice.
While it feels the current regime has been in place longer than a mere 12 months (today!), and lets be honest all manner of turds of different sizes and constituency have hit the proverbial fan during the last year, however we cant lay the blame for Conehead the Catalan with this lot.... Clotet was down to ol' slippery

Hello Gentlemen,

Well there’s a whole different perspective! Thanks for this - it does give a little glimmer of hope!

Hello Gentlemen,

Apart from the result, I really enjoyed the trip. Had a drink in the greyhound before the game and another in a different pub nearer the ground after. Lots of accy fans in both, but all perfectly civilised. Stayed over in an air b'n'b and poddled back home after breakfast in the gobbiners. I'll certainly try and do it again, next time we're in the same league.

Back
Top Bottom