Home Match Day Thread +++ 21/08/18 OUFC v Accrington Stanley +++

The Ref got the penalty decision correct. Soft or not, you can't do what Ruffels (?) did, especially in the box and not get punished. He got another right that some people were clamouring for near me that would have been for us. Most definitely did not cost us the match, but it doesn't mean he was all good either.

All the changes in the back 4 hopefully highlights the issue isn't all personnel as some have said. There are other issues there that are making lack of form worse from some players in the back 4.

• React
Reactions: m
The Ref got the penalty decision correct. Soft or not, you can't do what Ruffels (?) did, especially in the box and not get punished. He got another right that some people were clamouring for near me that would have been for us. Most definitely did not cost us the match, but it doesn't mean he was all good either.

All the changes in the back 4 hopefully highlights the issue isn't all personnel as some have said. There are other issues there that are making lack of form worse from some players in the back 4.

Possibly the fact that our shape without the ball is a mess doesn’t help. With the ball doesn’t look too bad...when we lose it it’s a horror show

The pitch was
People sometimes bring up the size of clubs and try and equate that to success on the pitch.

So far in our 2 home defeats Fleetwood brought 87 fans and I guess Accrington about the same, in fact I noticed their only supporters bus was a 28 seater last night.

That really makes you think, not that I personally think that way..
Ffs Burton next who will bring about 80. We're doomed.

Possibly the fact that our shape without the ball is a mess doesn’t help. With the ball doesn’t look too bad...when we lose it it’s a horror show
I think even Freddie Kruger and Michael Myers would be horrified at our shape!

Either a younger in cheek response or you haven’t seen Mackie play for us.

Yeah, seen him play on the wing and he’s been shite, but not up top where he hasn’t got to do the runs etc. Put it this way he couldn’t do much worse than Obika etc!

Yeah, seen him play on the wing and he’s been shite, but not up top where he hasn’t got to do the runs etc. Put it this way he couldn’t do much worse than Obika etc!
Tbh I don’t think he could do better either. But t he will have the run if the oppo defence play up high

Indicates that Long will be out on loan soon, never to be seen again in a yellow shirt, and post match comments also seem to suggest the same for Raglan....good job we dont need a full back or centre back that have served us well before isnt it?
Surely they weren’t in U23 because they are in the first team squad?

Time to gel! Time to gel is a term used by managers, pundits and fans for a team that’s simply not good enough. Yes there are slight improvements from playing together and knowing others attributes or limitations but that only takes a few training sessions and a couple of matches.
Pompey have 6 new players all in their first team. I guess they just ‘gell’d’ quicker?

Should point out that the only team above Pompey in the table - Peterborough - brought in sixteen players over the summer, nine of whom started their win at Charlton last night. In fact of their team last night, only Ryan Tafazolli (weren't we linked with him at one point?) was with them before 2018.

Yes, there's often a team or two that comes good after a bad start, but gelling is generally just a lame excuse for bad recruitment and/or bad tactical decisions to begin the season.

Evans is obviously a complete t**t.....but he's also good at his job......

Maybe now I can be brave and take a peek at the league table. I haven't looked once yet this season.

Should point out that the only team above Pompey in the table - Peterborough - brought in sixteen players over the summer, nine of whom started their win at Charlton last night. In fact of their team last night, only Ryan Tafazolli (weren't we linked with him at one point?) was with them before 2018.

Yes, there's often a team or two that comes good after a bad start, but gelling is generally just a lame excuse for bad recruitment and/or bad tactical decisions to begin the season.

Evans is obviously a complete t**t.....but he's also good at his job......

Exactly!

It’s not the team having time to gel that’s improved performances. It’s dropping McMahon, Garbutt and Mackie who are all terrible for one reason or another (Not saying they won’t come good before anyone starts going on about only a few games). Plus others who’ve had bad starts like Dickie and Hall, sorry but the latter clearly wasn’t right.

Positive that Whyte and Browne look unplayable at times.

Exactly!

It’s not the team having time to gel that’s improved performances. It’s dropping McMahon, Garbutt and Mackie who are all terrible for one reason or another (Not saying they won’t come good before anyone starts going on about only a few games). Plus others who’ve had bad starts like Dickie and Hall, sorry but the latter clearly wasn’t right.

Positive that Whyte and Browne look unplayable at times.

But credit to Mackie he played well when he came on against Burton

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom