Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
To some extent. But you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. KR is looking to add quality to what was a strong squad. We have removed the dead wood already. More quality to come
This.

The preferred starting 11 would've been good enough for the play-offs had they stayed fit. They didn't and the problem was we didn't have the strength or depth to maintain the challenge. So if the preferred 11 can be kept pretty much in tact and stay fit AND be augmented by better strength in depth, then that is a marked improvement on last year, no?

Last edited:
We still need at least two defenders. Even if this new recruit being spoken about is one of them, he doesn’t mention a second in his remaining shopping list. Also seems a bit weird that with both Gorrin and Smyth already in the building, a third CDM is being mentioned. Wait and see I guess.

Would be happy with Whyte coming back as one of the wingers. If he came back permanently I think he would feel settled. Could be the sort of security he needs to throw the shackles off and get back to being the player we had first time around.
I would guess that Smyth isn't solid enough as a first team player, and Gorrin isn't fully recovered.
I'd guess at a loan CDM

This.

The preferred starting 11 would've been good enough for the play-offs had the stayed fit. They didn't and the problem was we didn't have the strength or depth to maintain the challenge. So if the preferred 11 can be kept pretty much in tact and stay fit AND be augmented by better strength in depth, then that is a marked improvement on last year, no?
They were strong enough for the playoffs "last" season. We blew it. This season other teams are strengthening so we need to move up a notch.

We still need at least two defenders. Even if this new recruit being spoken about is one of them, he doesn’t mention a second in his remaining shopping list. Also seems a bit weird that with both Gorrin and Smyth already in the building, a third CDM is being mentioned. Wait and see I guess.

Would be happy with Whyte coming back as one of the wingers. If he came back permanently I think he would feel settled. Could be the sort of security he needs to throw the shackles off and get back to being the player we had first time around.
It could be Smyth is being lined up for CB so still need a CDM?

I would guess that Smyth isn't solid enough as a first team player, and Gorrin isn't fully recovered.
I'd guess at a loan CDM
I would think Smyth has the potential, but by comparison is probably a little way behind where Luke McNally was at the same time last year. It might well be that he makes the step up with aplomb, but at the same time is probably a bigger risk in doing so than McNally was.

And how many of us, hand on heart, were concerned that Luke might not be ready to perform week in week out at the start of last season - I know I was!

Based on last season's performances, also a bit underwhelmed. He looked to have had most of his positive qualities dulled down by his time away. Maybe he can regain them, maybe not.

But I really hope we aren't just trying to rebuild the team that finished last season with such a whimper - surely we will have identified areas that need *strengthening* rather than just maintaining at last season's level?
He played mostly on the left wing when he is a right winger so hopefully if and it is an if he signs he will play on the right.

They were strong enough for the playoffs "last" season. We blew it. This season other teams are strengthening so we need to move up a notch.
The thing is our attacking play was just about the best in the league, so taking back the forward players we had make sense. It's at the back and in midfield we need some new solutions.

Whyte would be a good player in his position. None of Karl's tinkering.

But. And it's a big but. We are basically rebuilding the same team that was found statically short both in terms of depth and mentality last season. It's not the answer.

We're rebuilding the front line that scored/assisted the most goals in the division last year.

Add a bit of bite to the midfield and we're golden.

I think also worth noting that last year when Sykes was in his best form we accommodated for him by playing Whyte out of position on the left wing. Similarly when we were short up front, KR moved him inside so he didn’t have to play Winnall from the start. Now both of those moved on and with Baldock signed up and probably another centre forward KR won’t need to move the lad around quite as much.

Is the Whyte rumour substantiated? Or all we all getting desperate and guessing? Lol

Got hammered for saying Mous could be either starting or 1st back up defender come 1st game of the season - looking at oxford mail no reference of even needing a defender? usual KR window 4 wingers needed. Crazy we aren't addressing the full back & centre back situation first.

Is the Whyte rumour substantiated? Or all we all getting desperate and guessing? Lol
Last week I was told it was pretty Much a done deal but for a loan. Others have suggested it was permanent. I do not at any point pretend to be in the know though and was just passing on what I had been told.

Last week I was told it was pretty Much a done deal but for a loan. Others have suggested it was permanent. I do not at any point pretend to be in the know though and was just passing on what I had been told.

I was just assuming the fee being agreed would be for a winger knowing Karl. I heard we were looking at buying Whyte but would take him on loan if a deal couldn't be agreed.

Got hammered for saying Mous could be either starting or 1st back up defender come 1st game of the season - looking at oxford mail no reference of even needing a defender? usual KR window 4 wingers needed. Crazy we aren't addressing the full back & centre back situation first.
Hopefully we're about to sign a CB, hence the reason he didn't mention it?

Browne on the left, Baldock in the middle and Whyte in his correct position on the right is a class league one forward line.

It will probably need to be as we won’t keep many clean sheets again but I suppose it’s entertaining.
Yeah that is a great forward line, but how Taylor and Baldock linked up in the handful of games they played together last season makes me really want them to both play in the same 11.

But then would that hinder the rest of the team overall? It’s a headache, but a nice one to have I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom