Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t rule it out
Really? Have we not been trying for the last 4 transfer windows? Not knocking your post but FGR will be promoted this season and I’m sure they will try and hang on to their best players and if Cadden is as good then i’m sure FGR will go all out to keep him.
But then again I maybe wrong and not ITK just pointing out possibilities as to why it might not happen.

So my understanding is we've got 8 players who are out of contract at the end of the season, and 4 on loan that will go back to parent clubs? As well as that probably 3 contracted players that could attract transfer interest. Obviously we don't know what league we'll be in but these are my thoughts:

OOC:
Elliott Moore - A great defender at this level, a little on the slow side but reads the game well and is a behemoth in the air. Will likely attract some Championship interest, but not on the level we've seen for the last few CBs who've moved on from us. Would absolutely offer a new contract, and I'd say it's probably 50/50 at this point whether he'd stay or go.

Mark Sykes - One of our best performers the first half of the season, gone a bit more muted since swapping to RWB but that's not surprising. Will definitely attract Championship interest and will almost certainly move to one of the interested sides. Offer a contract, but would be really surprised if he stayed, which is a shame because I think we're just starting to see what he's capable of.

Sam Baldock - Looked brilliant in the games he did play and had a really natural link up with Matty Taylor. Is he an injury concern? Absolutely. Is he worth the risk? In my opinion yes. Slap a 1 year contract with another years option in front of him - however signing a young, pacey striker as backup to our two aging but quality strikers is essential.

Alex Gorrin - KR has already said we'll be offering him a contract. Really hope he signs it as we've missed him this season. Very much feels like one of those "don't know what you've got til it's gone" situations where I think a lot of OUFC fans didn't realise just how integral he was. Offer a 2+1 or a 3 year contract, and I reckon he signs it.

Billy Bodin - Poor start to the season with bad form and injuries, hit some really good form, got injured again. On his day he's brilliant, but another big injury concern. If we're in League 1 I'd definitely offer a 1 year contract with an extra years option, and wouldn't be upset if we did or didn't offer it as a Championship side.

James Henry - I believe I'm right in thinking he's out of contract. Over 200 appearances, 54 goals, 40 assists, including 7 goals and 3 assists in 26 games this season. He's nicknamed the Goat for a reason. Give him a 2-3 year contract and let him retire at OUFC. Love that guy.

Sam Winnall - It's not worked out for Winnall at OUFC. I admit I thought he'd be a good option when we first signed him, but he unfortunately just does not look capable at this level anymore. Let him go, and hope he finds success in L2 with someone else.

Jamie Hanson - Had a couple of weirdly good performances earlier this season when backs were firmly against the wall for the Fleetwood and Rotherham games. Perhaps a small insight into what we thought we had signed when we gave him that crazy contract 4 years ago. Still only 26 so he has the chance to revive his career still, but he has to somehow stay off the treatment table. And please not with OUFC.

Loan:
Herbie Kane - On his day he's the best CM in the league. If there is any chance we can get him on a permanent we absolutely should be grabbing it with both hand. However, Barnsley paid a big fee for him (£1.25m) only 18 months ago and the chances of them letting him go for a fee we can afford in L1 seems low, especially given they'll be in L1 next season too. Given how Herbie has performed for us this season it would make absolute sense for Barnsley to keep hold of him and use him in their bid to get back into the Championship next season. I don't know what their financial situation is, maybe they'll need to cash in?

Gavin Whyte - Oh Gav. If you could finish like Matty Taylor you'd have Premier League teams after you. We've started to see Whyte regain some of the form that excited us all so much in his first stint with us, but the man just keeps missing golden chances. Cardiff have some mad finances so Whyte will either be required as a cheap option next season, or they'll cash in to try and make up some of their debt. If he's available for a reasonable fee I'd absolutely sign him back, but get him in shooting practice over the summer! Probably a 50/50 chance Whyte is here next season (assuming KR wants him).

Nathan Holland - I really wanted it to work out for Holland. On his day he's really decent, but his day seems to be only a couple times a season. Quite similar to Mide Shodipo last season in that he can struggle all game, then suddenly cut in from the left and curl one into the far corner like Kemar Roofe. Available on a free in the summer, would I take him? Championship definitely not. League 1 I don't think I'd be upset, but I wouldn't be excited by it either. If signing him on a free as backup to Marcus Browne meant we spent big on a left back instead of chasing more wingers I think I'd be inclined to sign him, but we all know KR would still chase a winger even if we had 8 in the building.

Ciaron Brown - I haven't been blown away by Brown but I haven't been particularly disappointed like with Grayson last season. He's very much been thrown into the deep end with the injury to Moore, and I think while he's looked shaky at times, you can see there's a player in there. Available on a free, and I'd take him as a cheap backup CB option (are those allowed in a KR squad?), and cheap may be what we need if we lose both Moore AND McNally and have to spend big on two CBs in the summer.

Likely to attract interest:
Cameron Brannagan - We all love CamBran. He's our best player, and most consistent performer. If we're in L1 next year Blackpool will chase him again, along with probably a few other Championship sides, and as much as I love CamBran he absolutely deserves his chance to move up a division. However, despite that, I don't think him leaving is 100% given. He loves OUFC, he has credited KR in the past and clearly enjoys playing under him, and he has a lot of love for us for how we helped him with his eye trouble. I think it's more likely he goes to a Championship club, but there's still a not insignificant chance he stays with us.

Luke McNally - Rumours of a £2m bid from Spurs already and that other teams are looking. Personally I think for his development McNally would be better off staying one more year and getting 40-50 more games under his belt, but the chance to jump right up to the Premier League and the money that comes with it? I would absolutely grab that opportunity with both hands and I think McNally will too. Excellent CB and I think we'll see him playing in the Prem one day, but will he be with OUFC next year? If the Spurs bid is true then I'd say almost certainly not unless we sell with a loan back for a season. Could also be used as a weight to get Spurs to loan us one of their other young startlets?

Jack Stevens - Strangely I think Stevens value has probably dropped this season. His glandular fever issues have clearly affected the level he's performing at, and Easty has stepped up and rightly won the starting spot back. However, I still think there will be interest in Stevens, but I'd say more than likely he'll still be an OUFC player next season.

Youth Prospects:
Tyler Goodrham - I've added young Tyler in at the end because I actually think with a good pre season he could sneak his way into KR's first team plans. He's performed well on loan this season, has over 40 games played in senior men's football under his belt already, and has rightly been rewarded with a new contract. This year is probably a year too early for him, but I absolutely would not rule out a Shandon Baptiste style breakthrough season in 22/23 for Goodrham.

So going off of what I've vomited out above, that leaves us with a minimum probable squad of:

GK: Stevens, Eastwood, Chapman
LB: Seddon
CB: Mous
RB: Long, Forde
CM: McGuane, Henry, Smyth, Davis, Gorrin, Bodin
Winger: Williams, Browne, Cooper
ST: Taylor, Baldock

Some glaring holes in that squad, although obviously if Moore, CamBran, Sykes, McNally or any of the loan players stay that squad will look much better. Based on the above, and assuming we're in L1, the positions I'd like us to sign are:

CB x3 - Will Boyle + Ryan Tafazoli are both out of contract, would take Thornily back too, although I trust our recruitment team to pick someone out I've never heard of who'll be a star. Moore or McNally staying would be my preference though. Ciaron Brown as backup is fine.
LB x1 - Nicky Cadden or Nesta Guiness-Walker would both be excellent signings, and Cadden would be my no1 transfer target this summer.
CM x2 - Matt Smith and Herbie Kane ideally. Harvey White another young option, played 21 games for Pompey last season.
Winger x2 (you're welcome, Karl) - Gavin Whyte would be good, obviously. Outside the box shout, Nya Kirby is out of contract in the summer, 22 and failed to make it in the Prem. Can play LM, CAM or CM. A KR-esque signing potentially, although not done much at our level previously so certainly a risk.
ST x1 - A pacey striker essential to give us a different option. Dane Scarlett from Spurs as a loan option would be exciting.
Out: Cooper, unfortunately. It's not worked out, let him go to L2/Conference to reignite his career.

Apologies for the long post. Started typing, and just didn't stop. Didn't realise how much I'd written until I got to the end 😅
Moore and Henry have a years option

We're having another decent season with attractive football and players who want and love playing for "him" yet still some of you wont let this dislike for him go and more importantly suggest some guru who Guarantees us promotion.

Nothing about dislike for him. His big mate Tiger won't be the head honcho anymore once the takeover goes through (and God knows we all hope that news will be coming after a year wait)...then he'll have to actually impress the people piling money into the club. In fact, given KR traditionally ends and starts seasons badly I'd say the next 6 to 8 months (and especially the summer in the transfer market) are crucial for him whatever we do.

We're having another decent season with attractive football and players who want and love playing for "him" yet still some of you wont let this dislike for him go and more importantly suggest some guru who Guarantees us promotion.
The bloke funding the club and trying to build a new stadium has gone on the record and said that promotion by the end of next season is “very crucial” to his plans. He and the other investors have also ploughed more cash into the club in the last year especially than anybody before them. What they want goes and it doesn’t matter what anybody thinks. The club is bigger than anybody, be it a fan, player or manager. If he succeeds he will be rewarded and if he doesn’t he won’t be. Just like in any other job.

The bloke funding the club and trying to build a new stadium has gone on the record and said that promotion by the end of next season is “very crucial” to his plans. He and the other investors have also ploughed more cash into the club in the last year especially than anybody before them. What they want goes and it doesn’t matter what anybody thinks. The club is bigger than anybody, be it a fan, player or manager. If he succeeds he will be rewarded and if he doesn’t he won’t be. Just like in any other job.
I concur except that there has been a long dislike for him from certain quarters "Regardless" of performance etc.

The plans and achieving are not a given, expectations have to be realistic and there are some decent clubs in League 1

Most fans were suggesting Play Offs at the start of the season and we've been in and around them most of the season.

I've no idea if the current money men have contacts within the game but for the plans to even have some chance of fruition we must hope they do because it is so easy to press the fired button and there's no guarantee that the next Manager will achieve and we certainly wont be able to dilly dally with the next appointment if those plans are to have any sort of chance.

I concur except that there has been a long dislike for him from certain quarters "Regardless" of performance etc.

The plans and achieving are not a given, expectations have to be realistic and there are some decent clubs in League 1

Most fans were suggesting Play Offs at the start of the season and we've been in and around them most of the season.

I've no idea if the current money men have contacts within the game but for the plans to even have some chance of fruition we must hope they do because it is so easy to press the fired button and there's no guarantee that the next Manager will achieve and we certainly wont be able to dilly dally with the next appointment if those plans are to have any sort of chance.
Yeeeees, we simply need to find the next genius maestro that no one has heard of, then we could be the next Blackpool, or the next Bristol Rovers. I guess they're aware of people who could make up a likely shortlist.

In understand what you are saying but how long does Karl have to achieve promotion?

The likelihood is we will sit down with Jamie Hanson’s agent to tell him we are letting him go, then 5 minutes later Hanson will walk out of the door with a new 4 year deal and a pay rise, best agent in the business.
And then he will get injured pre season and be out until the new year

I think the Board will back KR and we will see new exiting players. Come the end of the year there are certain scenarios we should be aware of

1. KR has us in top 6 and the Board will back him again
2. We are bottom 6 In which case KR goes and new manager gets the backing
3. We are mid table not sure what happens here depending whether we are on the slide or on the up
4. This is the frightening one, we could be any of the above but planning approval gets turned down in which case the Board will go and so might the club.

In understand what you are saying but how long does Karl have to achieve promotion?
Does that question depend on where as an individual fan you have the bar of expectation?

if we look at the last 3 seasons it's been entertaining and even his fiercest critics must see that but it seems when we drop pts the same stuff gets spouted.

I think we can go as far as to say that this League is one of the hardest for a few years and yet we are competing, why do fans think we have a right to be promoted so why put a timespan on a managers tenure if he doesn't achieve a b or c.

There are not many who would bring the entertainment we currently get and a change of manager does not mean it will happen.

comes down to if wee don't make it would you rather watch what's in front of us today or change in the hope that the next guy somehow achieves it or perhaps doesn't and fans are bored with the quality.

What a lovely squirrel that is.

The squad this season is unbalanced.
A defence with a left back who's game is so shot he doesn't get played and no back-up. The only defender who reads the game is stuck at right back with no back up. Because we haven't got full backs or wing backs we play 3 at the back, and have to play midfielders as wing backs.
One usable striker up to xmas with a has been and a permanently out of favour mystery. Baldock made a huge difference but predictably is injured.
Oodles of midfielders only 1 of which can defend and he's out since before xmas and not replaced in that window.

We play wonderful attacking football, but seldom for a whole half, let alone a full match. When we're not on it we play deadly dull stuff across the back and then hoof it long so it comes straight back. Our players are weak and lack pace as a squad, we're not hard to bully when it's not going our way.

I think we're often tactically naive, the 2 away matches I've seen we've been out fought by Cheltenham and out thought by Plymouth. Substitutions seem to be done by rote and rarely change anything - because the squad is unbalanced.

What's the manager's job? It's finally been defined by the owner - promotion this season or next. It's not to be the harlem globetrotters for 20 minutes out of 90, nor to be a lovely bloke. It's simple and it's difficult. My opinion is that a squad build by caprice is not going to do it, and there's no evidence that this manager will or can build a squad to get promotion.

If I was funding the club I'd be asking questions: why are we funding an academy that only acts as a feeder for Oxford City, why do we sign knackered players, why do players (I'm thinking Browne) get into the team after injury and then disappear injured after being risked (manager's words iirc). What is the plan that will get is promoted next season......

Tell that to Anindya Bakrie.

Does that question depend on where as an individual fan you have the bar of expectation?

if we look at the last 3 seasons it's been entertaining and even his fiercest critics must see that but it seems when we drop pts the same stuff gets spouted.

I think we can go as far as to say that this League is one of the hardest for a few years and yet we are competing, why do fans think we have a right to be promoted so why put a timespan on a managers tenure if he doesn't achieve a b or c.

Tnot many who would bring the entertainment we currently get and a change of manager does not mean it will happen.

comes down to if wee don't make it would you rather watch what's in front of us today or change in the hope that the next guy somehow achieves it or perhaps doesn't and fans are bored with the quality.
True, if what I’ve heard from some who are asking how long does he have. From Anindias interview if we’re not promoted by the end of next season then I think it will goodbye Karl.

Last edited:
Until the end of next season for me. Then sorry to say I will lose all patience.
I think a lot of clubs would think if ( that’s if we make the playoffs ) that you don’t make it 3rd time lucky but Anindia has said the end of next season so he has a chance.

Last edited:

A defence with a left back who's game is so shot he doesn't get played and no back-up. The only defender who reads the game is stuck at right back with no back up. Because we haven't got full backs or wing backs we play 3 at the back, and have to play midfielders as wing backs.
One usable striker up to xmas with a has been and a permanently out of favour mystery. Baldock made a huge difference but predictably is injured.
Oodles of midfielders only 1 of which can defend and he's out since before xmas and not replaced in that window.

We play wonderful attacking football, but seldom for a whole half, let alone a full match. When we're not on it we play deadly dull stuff across the back and then hoof it long so it comes straight back. Our players are weak and lack pace as a squad, we're not hard to bully when it's not going our way.

I think we're often tactically naive, the 2 away matches I've seen we've been out fought by Cheltenham and out thought by Plymouth. Substitutions seem to be done by rote and rarely change anything - because the squad is unbalanced.

What's the manager's job? It's finally been defined by the owner - promotion this season or next. It's not to be the harlem globetrotters for 20 minutes out of 90, nor to be a lovely bloke. It's simple and it's difficult. My opinion is that a squad build by caprice is not going to do it, and there's no evidence that this manager will or can build a squad to get promotion.

If I was funding the club I'd be asking questions: why are we funding an academy that only acts as a feeder for Oxford City, why do we sign knackered players, why do players (I'm thinking Browne) get into the team after injury and then disappear injured after being risked (manager's words iirc). What is the plan that will get is promoted next season......

That's a harsh view but there is a lot of truth in it as an overview. However am I right in thinking you don't see all the home games? People who do tend to have a more positive view because we've been so good and the games so exciting. Karl gets a big round of applause when he comes out, you'd barf.

Agree with a lot of that and if we don’t go up (and I don’t think we will) KR will have one more crack of the whip.

But before some say thank you and goodbye Karl, who would we get in?

Some on here think Michael Appleton is the best manager since Jim Smith(first time) but he’s hardly pulled up trees at Lincoln after getting them into the playoffs.
It will have to be well thought out and the Board know that if we don’t go up next year a new manager may take a couple of years to do it and while this is going on, other big clubs get relegated and will make things even harder eg Derby County

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom