Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
First day of preseason will have Easty and Sam Long doing keepy upies on their own at that rate!!!

I wouldn’t say all them scenarios I’ve mentioned aren’t unrealistic tho, we still got a few others 😁 but the likes of McGuane really needs to step up next season as he hasn’t shown a true reflection of himself this season compared to mid way through last season when he was on fire & running the show in midfield before his freak injury with the advertising boards.

Next season KR needs to stop adopting this attitude he has of fitting square pegs into round holes when it comes to having a balanced squad by not being short of numbers in certain areas like defence (that’s before injuries) & using midfielders/wingers as cover for wing/fullbacks it keeps costing us when it really matters (classic example was yesterday with both Sykes & Williams at fault for Plymouths goal the 1 real chance they had in the game). KR needs to address the areas on the pitch where our weaknesses are & that’s been our defence despite having some very good defenders at the club like McNally Moore Long who I hope to see as our back 3🤞 going into the final 6/8/9 games left but we need to build on that with more quality instead of settling for a squad player like Brown, our fullbacks needs a massive improvement Seddon at LB or LWB hasn’t worked despite a good enough start to the season very early on then Long hasn’t played many games at right back this season & has mainly played better at centre back reverting to using Forde mainly at right back to start with then Williams & Sykes as the wingbacks we can’t keep doing going forward next season, unfortunately we’ve never had a settled back 4/5 this season & you look at the top 4 they all have solid defences something we don’t have in our locker & haven’t had for the last 2 seasons now which is likely to cost us this time again when going up against this sides in the playoffs if we get there

Some decent defenders out of contract in League 1 this summer:

Will Boyle CB (Cheltenham)
Jack Tucker CB (Gillingham)
Ross Sykes CB (Accrington)
Tom Hamer RB/CB (Burton)
Nesta Guiness-Walker LB (Wimbledon)

Would imagine all of those will be picked up by Championship or high paying L1 clubs.

.... the force is strong in him..... ( his grandad being the original Obi Wan Kenobi)

View attachment 8579

An absolute crooner of an anagram too.

016bf9a50d8ef775e23110d34b57d1fc.jpg

From what I can find, the current squad situation: https://imagebin.ca/v/6ca3XR6uJrTH

Contracted for next season:
Eastwood // Stevens // Williams // Seddon // Long // McNally // Moore // Brannagan // Smyth // McGuane // Forde // Cooper // Browne // Taylor

End of Loans:
Brown // Whyte // Holland // Kane

OOC:
Sykes // Henry // Gorrin // Bodin // Winnall // Hanson // Baldock

I couldn't find it noted, but I seem to remember an interview that suggested theres an option with the Henry contract. Also KR has indicated Gorrin will be offered another year - plus a year option for Winnall.

**Potentially** 11 players leaving the squad this summer.

Have said before, and still believe to be true that next year is the big one for KR where the pressure to be promoted will be high. The stakeholders have repeated the need for Championship football, have clearly invested significantly this season and I'm sure will continue to do so through the summer. If we don't make the jump this season, there will be a load of recruitment through the summer. Whilst we obviously have a very capable recruitment team, KR's ability to build a squad will be imperative.

I think KR has evolved this year. He has deployed different systems, has introduced more direct play (4th most direct attacks in the league: https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-reviews/2021/?competition_id=11&season_id=2021) whilst continuing to develop assets.

Have some fun this season to see if we can squeeze into the play-offs, but all pressure on next year should we fail (imo).

As for incoming transfers, I understand we have scouted Marcus Sablier (but then scout all over!). I think continuing to pick up young talent such as Ethan Galbraith/Matt Smith (the Arsenal one) whilst supplementing with proven League One quality is the way to go. Will also add, I think Smyth will be a big part of next year. All exciting, let's see what happens and enjoy the final run in.

From what I can find, the current squad situation: https://imagebin.ca/v/6ca3XR6uJrTH

Eastwood // Stevens // Williams // Seddon // Long // McNally // Moore // Brannagan // Smyth // McGuane // Forde // Cooper // Browne // Taylor

End of Loans:

OOC:

I couldn't find it noted, but I seem to remember an interview that suggested theres an option with the Henry contract. Also KR has indicated Gorrin will be offered another year - plus a year option for Winnall.

Have said before, and still believe to be true that next year is the big one for KR where the pressure to be promoted will be high. The stakeholders have repeated the need for Championship football, have clearly invested significantly this season and I'm sure will continue to do so through the summer. If we don't make the jump this season, there will be a load of recruitment through the summer. Whilst we obviously have a very capable recruitment team, KR's ability to build a squad will be imperative.

I think KR has evolved this year. He has deployed different systems, has introduced more direct play (4th most direct attacks in the league: https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-reviews/2021/?competition_id=11&season_id=2021) whilst continuing to develop assets.

Have some fun this season to see if we can squeeze into the play-offs, but all pressure on next year should we fail (imo).

As for incoming transfers, I understand we have scouted Marcus Sablier (but then scout all over!). I think continuing to pick up young talent such as Ethan Galbraith/Matt Smith (the Arsenal one) whilst supplementing with proven League One quality is the way to go. Will also add, I think Smyth will be a big part of next year. All exciting, let's see what happens and enjoy the final run in.
Look, there's no place here for this sort of measured approach! I also remember James Henry saying he had another year's option.

I *really* hope that we can recruit a couple more good defenders - if only to stop the endless arguments on here! I hope for Thorniley, maybe Brown as a reserve, and a good solid left back.

The standard of player will depend on which division we are in. So no point on naming new names. I'm assuming we lose Sykes and McNally. But, whichever division we are in, I hope we manage to keep Whyte, Kane and Baldock. And obviously Hanson on a new, improved deal. And then, these would be my five 'must haves'.
A new goalkeeper. Stevens has gone backwards, and Eastwood is OK, but no more.
Two new full backs.
A McNally replacement
Two early/mid 20 age forwards to rotate with Taylor and Baldock. That's pretty much top of the list.
And that would pretty much be it.
Gorrin will be back. I've heard good things about Smyth. It's a pretty decent team/squad, no matter what people say. Just needs a bit of a refresh.

So my understanding is we've got 8 players who are out of contract at the end of the season, and 4 on loan that will go back to parent clubs? As well as that probably 3 contracted players that could attract transfer interest. Obviously we don't know what league we'll be in but these are my thoughts:

OOC:
Elliott Moore - A great defender at this level, a little on the slow side but reads the game well and is a behemoth in the air. Will likely attract some Championship interest, but not on the level we've seen for the last few CBs who've moved on from us. Would absolutely offer a new contract, and I'd say it's probably 50/50 at this point whether he'd stay or go.

Mark Sykes - One of our best performers the first half of the season, gone a bit more muted since swapping to RWB but that's not surprising. Will definitely attract Championship interest and will almost certainly move to one of the interested sides. Offer a contract, but would be really surprised if he stayed, which is a shame because I think we're just starting to see what he's capable of.

Sam Baldock - Looked brilliant in the games he did play and had a really natural link up with Matty Taylor. Is he an injury concern? Absolutely. Is he worth the risk? In my opinion yes. Slap a 1 year contract with another years option in front of him - however signing a young, pacey striker as backup to our two aging but quality strikers is essential.

Alex Gorrin - KR has already said we'll be offering him a contract. Really hope he signs it as we've missed him this season. Very much feels like one of those "don't know what you've got til it's gone" situations where I think a lot of OUFC fans didn't realise just how integral he was. Offer a 2+1 or a 3 year contract, and I reckon he signs it.

Billy Bodin - Poor start to the season with bad form and injuries, hit some really good form, got injured again. On his day he's brilliant, but another big injury concern. If we're in League 1 I'd definitely offer a 1 year contract with an extra years option, and wouldn't be upset if we did or didn't offer it as a Championship side.

James Henry - I believe I'm right in thinking he's out of contract. Over 200 appearances, 54 goals, 40 assists, including 7 goals and 3 assists in 26 games this season. He's nicknamed the Goat for a reason. Give him a 2-3 year contract and let him retire at OUFC. Love that guy.

Sam Winnall - It's not worked out for Winnall at OUFC. I admit I thought he'd be a good option when we first signed him, but he unfortunately just does not look capable at this level anymore. Let him go, and hope he finds success in L2 with someone else.

Jamie Hanson - Had a couple of weirdly good performances earlier this season when backs were firmly against the wall for the Fleetwood and Rotherham games. Perhaps a small insight into what we thought we had signed when we gave him that crazy contract 4 years ago. Still only 26 so he has the chance to revive his career still, but he has to somehow stay off the treatment table. And please not with OUFC.

Loan:
Herbie Kane - On his day he's the best CM in the league. If there is any chance we can get him on a permanent we absolutely should be grabbing it with both hand. However, Barnsley paid a big fee for him (£1.25m) only 18 months ago and the chances of them letting him go for a fee we can afford in L1 seems low, especially given they'll be in L1 next season too. Given how Herbie has performed for us this season it would make absolute sense for Barnsley to keep hold of him and use him in their bid to get back into the Championship next season. I don't know what their financial situation is, maybe they'll need to cash in?

Gavin Whyte - Oh Gav. If you could finish like Matty Taylor you'd have Premier League teams after you. We've started to see Whyte regain some of the form that excited us all so much in his first stint with us, but the man just keeps missing golden chances. Cardiff have some mad finances so Whyte will either be required as a cheap option next season, or they'll cash in to try and make up some of their debt. If he's available for a reasonable fee I'd absolutely sign him back, but get him in shooting practice over the summer! Probably a 50/50 chance Whyte is here next season (assuming KR wants him).

Nathan Holland - I really wanted it to work out for Holland. On his day he's really decent, but his day seems to be only a couple times a season. Quite similar to Mide Shodipo last season in that he can struggle all game, then suddenly cut in from the left and curl one into the far corner like Kemar Roofe. Available on a free in the summer, would I take him? Championship definitely not. League 1 I don't think I'd be upset, but I wouldn't be excited by it either. If signing him on a free as backup to Marcus Browne meant we spent big on a left back instead of chasing more wingers I think I'd be inclined to sign him, but we all know KR would still chase a winger even if we had 8 in the building.

Ciaron Brown - I haven't been blown away by Brown but I haven't been particularly disappointed like with Grayson last season. He's very much been thrown into the deep end with the injury to Moore, and I think while he's looked shaky at times, you can see there's a player in there. Available on a free, and I'd take him as a cheap backup CB option (are those allowed in a KR squad?), and cheap may be what we need if we lose both Moore AND McNally and have to spend big on two CBs in the summer.

Likely to attract interest:
Cameron Brannagan - We all love CamBran. He's our best player, and most consistent performer. If we're in L1 next year Blackpool will chase him again, along with probably a few other Championship sides, and as much as I love CamBran he absolutely deserves his chance to move up a division. However, despite that, I don't think him leaving is 100% given. He loves OUFC, he has credited KR in the past and clearly enjoys playing under him, and he has a lot of love for us for how we helped him with his eye trouble. I think it's more likely he goes to a Championship club, but there's still a not insignificant chance he stays with us.

Luke McNally - Rumours of a £2m bid from Spurs already and that other teams are looking. Personally I think for his development McNally would be better off staying one more year and getting 40-50 more games under his belt, but the chance to jump right up to the Premier League and the money that comes with it? I would absolutely grab that opportunity with both hands and I think McNally will too. Excellent CB and I think we'll see him playing in the Prem one day, but will he be with OUFC next year? If the Spurs bid is true then I'd say almost certainly not unless we sell with a loan back for a season. Could also be used as a weight to get Spurs to loan us one of their other young startlets?

Jack Stevens - Strangely I think Stevens value has probably dropped this season. His glandular fever issues have clearly affected the level he's performing at, and Easty has stepped up and rightly won the starting spot back. However, I still think there will be interest in Stevens, but I'd say more than likely he'll still be an OUFC player next season.

Youth Prospects:
Tyler Goodrham - I've added young Tyler in at the end because I actually think with a good pre season he could sneak his way into KR's first team plans. He's performed well on loan this season, has over 40 games played in senior men's football under his belt already, and has rightly been rewarded with a new contract. This year is probably a year too early for him, but I absolutely would not rule out a Shandon Baptiste style breakthrough season in 22/23 for Goodrham.

So going off of what I've vomited out above, that leaves us with a minimum probable squad of:

GK: Stevens, Eastwood, Chapman
LB: Seddon
CB: Mous
RB: Long, Forde
CM: McGuane, Henry, Smyth, Davis, Gorrin, Bodin
Winger: Williams, Browne, Cooper
ST: Taylor, Baldock

Some glaring holes in that squad, although obviously if Moore, CamBran, Sykes, McNally or any of the loan players stay that squad will look much better. Based on the above, and assuming we're in L1, the positions I'd like us to sign are:

CB x3 - Will Boyle + Ryan Tafazoli are both out of contract, would take Thornily back too, although I trust our recruitment team to pick someone out I've never heard of who'll be a star. Moore or McNally staying would be my preference though. Ciaron Brown as backup is fine.
LB x1 - Nicky Cadden or Nesta Guiness-Walker would both be excellent signings, and Cadden would be my no1 transfer target this summer.
CM x2 - Matt Smith and Herbie Kane ideally. Harvey White another young option, played 21 games for Pompey last season.
Winger x2 (you're welcome, Karl) - Gavin Whyte would be good, obviously. Outside the box shout, Nya Kirby is out of contract in the summer, 22 and failed to make it in the Prem. Can play LM, CAM or CM. A KR-esque signing potentially, although not done much at our level previously so certainly a risk.
ST x1 - A pacey striker essential to give us a different option. Dane Scarlett from Spurs as a loan option would be exciting.
Out: Cooper, unfortunately. It's not worked out, let him go to L2/Conference to reignite his career.

Apologies for the long post. Started typing, and just didn't stop. Didn't realise how much I'd written until I got to the end 😅

If promotion isn’t achieved by the end of next season he will be sacked.

Robinson likes players that he knows or has been looking at for some time. So I wouldn't rule deals for Ciaron Brown and/or Jordan Thorniley. Equally, Nathan Holland on a free might be on the cards. He's not set the world alight this season, but a good season with us and he could be a real asset.

I think we'll get Herbie Kane on a permanent deal and would think that we'd be looking at Nicky Cadden and Sam Szmodics again after real interest in January. Norwood is also someone we were looking at and a decent option if we're going to stick with the 2 up front and one in the hole.

And of course there will be the young Irish players that only @Nadi- has heard of, the one that gets absolutely slatted on here before they kick a ball, and the one who is still injured when signed but might just be the best we've ever seen.
Cadden not that old chestnut again😡 I doubt whether he would come here as he is on for a promotion into this league next season and if he is that good I’m sure FGR will match if not better what we would be prepared to offer.
As for Szmodics he has played regularly in a Peterborough side under new me management.
Herbie Kane I think will sign Doubt whether we would go for Thorniley as Blackpool have a years option unless we give them Cam which I can’t see KR doing.
Holland is a funny one it would be a free but hasn’t done what we know he is capable of this season. Brown yes that is a good possibility.

I'd get rid of Seddon and look to sign another winger. Maybe let Moore go and sign another number 10.

Other than that I don't think we need to do much business.
Let Moore go?………yeah right!

End of Loans:

OOC:

Henry still has a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom