League Two 2021/22 Playoffs: Semi Finals

Vale isn't too bad. Change at Brum anyway, get the slower one to Longport (stop after Stoke) and it's easily walkable.
Agree re:Mansfield.
And it does impact on away game choices. Easily do-able by train (even if more miles) may be preferable to a nearer game that is a ball-ache to get to by public transport.
It's not just the journey by train itself, but the proximity of the station to the ground too. If you manage to hit both of these (i.e. well connect train station + ground close to said station) you've nailed it as an away day. Stratfield Brake anyone?
It's an absolutely ideal location for a football ground. Sod the Green party.

Both are places where trains forgot to go to. Seriously, who designed the line that Mansfield is on? It's just some spur out of Nottingham. Go from Oxford and it's 4hours + with two changes. It's barely an improvement from London or Birmingham either.

I seem to recall that between Beeching's purge and some time in the mid-90s Mansfield was the largest town in England not to have a rail station.

So things are better than they were. (Or I'm mistaken)

The railway line for Mansfield uses the old railway that used to serve the coal mines and collieries.
there never used to be a passenger service until very recently ( the last few decades)

Wrexham 4 Grimsby 4.
Ryan Taylor scored 1 and Crocombe let 4 in

Grimsby look a good footballing outfit both today and against Halifax. Some great goals to boot. Good luck in the final.

That’s why the playoffs are wrong. Wrexham finish on 88 points and Grimsby back on 77 points. They’ve extended the playoffs places, and Grimsby have managed to get to the final. Fair play to them, but it really should be the next four places below the champions.

Wrexham have spent a lot of money, and have to do it all again next season. God they’ve been down there for sometime.

Grimsby look a good footballing outfit both today and against Halifax. Some great goals to boot. Good luck in the final.

Grimsby beat Notts county, Chesterfield beat Halifax

That’s why the playoffs are wrong. Wrexham finish on 88 points and Grimsby back on 77 points. They’ve extended the playoffs places, and Grimsby have managed to get to the final. Fair play to them, but it really should be the next four places below the champions.

Wrexham have spent a lot of money, and have to do it all again next season. God they’ve been down there for sometime.

That’s nonsense.

Grimsby have had to go and win away at Notts County & Wrexham.

Wrexham only had to win one home game v the team who finished 7th.

The new national league format is superb.

ol slipperys Solihull Moors V Chesterfield tomorrow ( coverage on BT sport from midday) in the other Semi Final

That’s nonsense.

Grimsby have had to go and win away at Notts County & Wrexham.

Wrexham only had to win one home game v the team who finished 7th.

The new national league format is superb.

I don’t think it’s nonsense at all.

It should be the next four below the champions. In a playoff system.

How can you justify someone finishing 10-15 points behind in a regular season, and could end up going up. That’s what I find unfair! If you don’t finish in the next four places below the champions tough. I don’t like the idea of a team finishing 7th going up. That doesn’t sit right with me.

Even if you finish 2nd or 3rd and you get home advantage, I don’t think that helps. It heaps more pressure on more than anything else, with the weight of expectations from all the home fans.

ol slipperys Solihull Moors V Chesterfield tomorrow ( coverage on BT sport from midday) in the other Semi Final

I’d quite like to see Solihull come up. Something totally different, like Sutton.

Hoping Port Vale win this afternoon.

Based on your logic why should 4th and 5th get a chance. You could just play a play off final of 2nd v 3rd?

It’s always been the next four after top spot since the playoffs were introduced. For me that’s fine! They’ve changed the format, but I feel it’s slightly unfair extending it, to more playoff births, giving someone a chance when they’ve had a pretty poor season.

Or scrap the playoffs and have the top two, which would be fairer.

Back
Top Bottom