Current Player #18 Marcus McGuane

I thought it was his worst performance of the season today.

He’s set a high bar since August and he just didn’t seem to be quite right today.

I agree, however Wycombe closed him down so quickly, right from the first whistle. He didn’t have any space to play his normal game.

I agree, however Wycombe closed him down so quickly, right from the first whistle. He didn’t have any space to play his normal game.
Someone talked about how congested it was and I agree. It was so tight for space. They were on Bodin, McGuane and Rodriguez as soon as they picked up the ball.

Someone talked about how congested it was and I agree. It was so tight for space. They were on Bodin, McGuane and Rodriguez as soon as they picked up the ball.
McEachran was the only player who was able to play around / through Wycombe. He’s the best player in the squad at beating a press as he thinks faster than anybody else and plays passes nobody else can see, let alone execute.

Bodin and Rodrigues both lacking pace meant that the ball spent a lot of time in the central midfield area as they couldn’t turn and run past or away from anybody, and the lack of out and out wingers in the shape didn’t help.

Where’s the McGuane gone who started the season? Please come back!!
Thought this after Orient. He’s been quietly ineffective for a little while now. Last game he really dominated was what, Shrewsbury? That’s nearly two months ago now. He’s still making the odd nice touch and smart turn, but him no longer dominating midfields is a big contributor to our drop in form imo.

It wasn’t long ago that there was a clamour to sign McGuane on a new deal, such was his improvement.

He’s going backwards and has fairly quickly become his former self. Where are the surging runs? Where is the desire to stay in his feet? What we have now is the player who too often turns backwards and goes to the ground at the slightest touch.

I want the new MM back.

It wasn’t long ago that there was a clamour to sign McGuane on a new deal, such was his improvement.

He’s going backwards and has fairly quickly become his former self. Where are the surging runs? Where is the desire to stay in his feet? What we have now is the player who too often turns backwards and goes to the ground at the slightest touch.

I want the new MM back.
Thought he was comfortably our best outfield player yesterday.

Brannagan didn't make his life any easier. He was a couple of yards off the pace all game and seldom found enough space to offer MM and others an easy passing option as we so often see. His head doesn't look right. Wouldn't be surprised if he's playing Championship football from January...

I want the new MM back.
I’d still want him to sign a new deal. Can’t see who else we have to play in midfield who’s any better…

Not sure playing on a ploughed field really help our quick feeted, zippy-passing centre midfield duo of choice. That and the fact the the opposition (especially one like Peterborough) have worked out if they can stop them playing, it shuts down a large part of our creativity.

Now is the time that we need to find a slightly different way of playing to counter that. And on Branners, you have to wonder how many times a Champ club are going to be linked before there's more substance to it...Best we get on with getting there this season then!

An incredible goal- he looked so pleased-and so did his teammates.

had a great performance throughout in that position just ahead of the back four

4-1-4-1 seemed to suit him

An incredible goal- he looked so pleased-and so did his teammates.

had a great performance throughout in that position just ahead of the back four

4-1-4-1 seemed to suit him
was my MOTM today , and capped an excellent performance with a screamer of a goal

That was some hit, an absolute belter. My memory isn’t that great but can’t think of too many better long range goals scored at the Kassam. A much better all round performance from him too, picked the right times to pass and went to hold on to it.

He’s scored twice already under Buckingham.

Not a coincidence, in my view.

Hopefully this will encourage him to sign a longer contract under the new regime.
Despite playing as the deepest midfielder as well. One thing that stands out for me under Des is players have much more license to move out of position as long as they recognise when we’ve over-committed. I noticed the full backs getting further forward and centre backs taking another step or two forward with the ball. Wingers much more direct when 1vs1 and Brannagan given almost the complete freedom of the middle third. Little things but encouraging. When it fully clicks it should make us a bit less predictable than the ‘stand here, pass it there’ we saw under Manning that appeared easy to stifle at times, yielded very few chances and heaped the pressure on being clinical.

McGuane popping up with a goal like that when he’d rarely even shoot in times gone by suggests Des is trying to let the shackles off a bit. We’ll need to make sure we find the balance against better sides but I loved how we approached the game yesterday.

He’s scored twice already under Buckingham.

Not a coincidence, in my view.

Hopefully this will encourage him to sign a longer contract under the new regime.

Yep, 2 goals in 6 games under Des.
1 goal in 126 appearances under everybody else!

With McGuane, you feel it's a matter of giving him the freedom and confidence to get forwards and take risks, rather than just keep possession at all costs - which he is so, so good at, but only takes you so far.

If that's the way Des is coaching him up, then we could have even better days ahead!

Yep, 2 goals in 6 games under Des.
1 goal in 126 appearances under everybody else!

With McGuane, you feel it's a matter of giving him the freedom and confidence to get forwards and take risks, rather than just keep possession at all costs - which he is so, so good at, but only takes you so far.

If that's the way Des is coaching him up, then we could have even better days ahead!
If McGuane adds goals to his game as well, what a player he will be.

Back
Top Bottom