Away Match Day Thread 15/08/23 - L1: Derby County v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Night all:

Shame they cut the build up from Harris' second.
Love the Celebrations from Harris, been after a total shithouse of a number 9 to replace Taylor and he’s a more mobile pacier version. Second goal was a delight to watch from start to finish. McGuane when he drives with the ball is total class. Manning has to unlock that more often and he will be unplayable like we’ve seen on very few occasions since he joined. Performance was a joy to watch & we look like we are getting stronger as a team with every league game.

I obviously echo the praise for all the top performers tonight. Mcguane, Harris, Browne all superb. I want to show some love to Billy Bodin though who looks like he has really trained and played his way into Manning’s XI. He operates so confidently in the 10 role and links the midfield and attack superbly with some lovely touches. If he can start to consistently record goals and assists then he and RR will have a great battle for that spot this season!

I was really impressed by josh m on saturday and now mcguane has stepped in and given an equally impressive performance I dont think we need anyone else in that position!

Not long back after getting diverted round Banbury.

Terrific performance and we made Derby look very ordinary, all hit and hope crap. We had far the better chances and their keeper kept it respectable.

I have Harris man of the match as it's hard to argue against the guy who scored both goals in a 2-1, especially when his all round play was really good aside from that, but a special shout to McGuane who was fantastic in midfield. Christ knows where he found the energy to carry that ball 40 odd yards and take all the pressure off in the 93rd minute but that was a brilliant but of play.

Massive credit to Manning too, that was a really well managed game. After we lost to Cambridge and Barnsley battered Port Vale 7-0 I wasn't over enamoured with the idea of going but seeing our performance tonight and the fact they got done 3-1 at home I'm a lot more confident now.

They are not happy, what a shame .. big team Charlie's..Screenshot_2023-08-16-06-21-46-11_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2023-08-16-06-24-09-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-16-06-22-31-13_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-16-06-22-31-13_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2023-08-16-06-23-01-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-16-06-23-01-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 48
That was a great battling performance last night it looks like it’s starting to click. Mark Harris is going to just get better and better as the season goes on. On to Barnsley now COYY

Well what a difference 6 days makes - a selection from last Wednesday's Bristol City post-match analysis :) - shows what we know!

COYY.
Haha. Fair enough. Mind you, I was absolutely horrified at the Cambridge performance. Last night, pretty much the same players, but completely different team. I will now employ the media technique known as the 'reverse ferret'.

Sadly we didn't go but watched on iFollow. Lots to enjoy from the player performances and the result a fantastic achievement against a side expected to be one of those pushing for promotion. The better football played suggests that the team are coming together.
The officials have a lot to answer for though. Disgraceful that we didn't get a penalty for the clear pull back on Harris. TV picture showed a clear hand off into Browns face and the second yellow (not awarded) offence later in the game showed more weakness on the part of the referee. Had we lost that game the outcry would have been enormous and justified.
I really, really hope this is the start of something, momentum into Barnsley and onwards. It would be so gratifying to have a season of success, maybe even promotion - well, let's not get carried away but, wouldn't that lift spirits and, put OUFC front and centre in the new stadium discussions.

Lovely, lovely stuff, from back to front and start to finish. The prospect of McGuane and McEachran pushing each other to perform better each week is mouthwatering..both seriously good players.

Big shout for the defence too...who I am really glad to see forming a cohesive, formidable unit. Negru deserves every single bit of praise and if Thorniley now has to fight to get back in the team, that's a real positive too.

We look to have balance across the pitch and a group of players who fight for everything and each other. If this squad can continue to perform at a level greater than the sum of their parts, then we're in for quite a season.

Also, a word on Cam. Great to see him back as a player over the last couple of games.

And finally, if we can add a couple of signings that add extra quality (and competition) to what we already have, and shift some dead wood too, then I think Manning and the recruitment team will have done a remarkable job so far.

Back
Top Bottom