Away Match Day Thread 15/08/23 - L1: Derby County v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No more embarrassing than Derby fans calling for Warne to resign after 2 narrow home losses.
No, it was an embarrassing over reaction - most of us were pretty deflated after the first two performances but took a deep breath and hoped for better to come.

• React
Reactions: m
I didn't watch the game last night and have only seen the extended highlights so far. However, it's amazing to see what a little confidence can do.

I've been critical of some of the negativity amongst the fan base at times, but in fairness we had only won 2 from 22 prior to Saturday, and I think that showed in a nervy performance at times on and off the pitch. But a win, even if a little scrappy, has made a big difference.

Harris looked a different player in the bits I saw from last night. He had a couple of better chances on Saturday but took an extra touch or looked to play others in. Last night he put his foot through the ball and was rewarded with two goals. He still might not be a 20 goals a season player, but he'll score plenty and will trouble defences with his work rate.

Good to see Long and Brown getting well deserved praise. I don't think either was ever as bad as some made out, but they can certainly do a job and were both solid defensively, but also got forward on several occasions too.

McGuane had a fantastic spell with us in a more advanced role whilst on loan prior to getting injured. Last night we saw something similar, but just starting from a slightly deeper position. But his energy and drive was incredible and I can see him and McEachran covering that role perfectly this season.

I also thought that Beadle looked really good and made several great saves. He's huge and has got a massive wing span so he makes some of his saves look easy, but they're far from it. As well as his saves, I thought that he looked confident to control his area, and one mistake aside, it looked like he claimed most things.

But our confidence is still a little fragile and we looked nervous when they got one back, and we were lucky to keep all three points. But if we go through this season with being excellent for 90 minutes and lucky for 10, then we'll do pretty well.

On to Barnsley who will be tough, but we'll certainly give them plenty to think about, and an early goal for us will get the crowd turning against them. So we need to keep the confidence going and fight for every point.

So 9 out of the starting 11 were at the club last season. I wonder whats changed 😁
And it will take 3 transfer windows...
Manning has done very well ( after some shambling defending at Bristol C).
He has brought what 8 new players in, and we has some pretty decent L1 players already here.

There were not really many negatives from last nights game, if I could be picky it would be about Bodin’s awful shot in the early stages of the first half.

All the players played really well, and it was an amazing away day, all the yellows fans were singing throughout, and created a decent atmosphere. The Derby fans didn’t do much singing at all really, apart from a couple of chants “We are Derby” other than that very subdued, because of of the way we played them off the park. The only threat they posed was from Hourihane’s corners. I think we will only get better as the season goes on! A couple of fresh faces needed still, as we aren’t quite the finished article. ie left back and Striker. Maybe a defensive midfielder too.

A couple of observations, I liked the way they had a bar built in to the stadium, and the club shop. Which we must do when we move. Add a few eating places. They had a Subway and Frankie and Bennies next to the ground. I also liked the electric buggies you see at airports carrying disabled fans to the ground. I really liked that.

Oh and LincolnYellows had his flag there too.

A great performance, 2 wins in 2, and something to build on. Let’s go and beat Barnsley Saturday, and make it a great week.

There were not really many negatives from last nights game, if I could be picky it would be about Bodin’s awful shot in the early stages of the first half.

All the players played really well, and it was an amazing away day, all the yellows fans were singing throughout, and created a decent atmosphere. The Derby fans didn’t do much singing at all really, apart from a couple of chants “We are Derby” other than that very subdued, because of of the way we played them off the park. The only threat they posed was from Hourihane’s corners. I think we will only get better as the season goes on! A couple of fresh faces needed still, as we aren’t quite the finished article. ie left back and Striker. Maybe a defensive midfielder too.

A couple of observations, I liked the way they had a bar built in to the stadium, and the club shop. Which we must do when we move. Add a few eating places. They had a Subway and Frankie and Bennies next to the ground. I also liked the electric buggies you see at airports carrying disabled fans to the ground. I really liked that.

Oh and LincolnYellows had his flag there too.

A great performance, 2 wins in 2, and something to build on. Let’s go and beat Barnsley Saturday, and make it a great week.

Wasn't that Harris with the shot ?

I didn't watch the game last night and have only seen the extended highlights so far. However, it's amazing to see what a little confidence can do.

I've been critical of some of the negativity amongst the fan base at times, but in fairness we had only won 2 from 22 prior to Saturday, and I think that showed in a nervy performance at times on and off the pitch. But a win, even if a little scrappy, has made a big difference.

Harris looked a different player in the bits I saw from last night. He had a couple of better chances on Saturday but took an extra touch or looked to play others in. Last night he put his foot through the ball and was rewarded with two goals. He still might not be a 20 goals a season player, but he'll score plenty and will trouble defences with his work rate.

Good to see Long and Brown getting well deserved praise. I don't think either was ever as bad as some made out, but they can certainly do a job and were both solid defensively, but also got forward on several occasions too.

McGuane had a fantastic spell with us in a more advanced role whilst on loan prior to getting injured. Last night we saw something similar, but just starting from a slightly deeper position. But his energy and drive was incredible and I can see him and McEachran covering that role perfectly this season.

I also thought that Beadle looked really good and made several great saves. He's huge and has got a massive wing span so he makes some of his saves look easy, but they're far from it. As well as his saves, I thought that he looked confident to control his area, and one mistake aside, it looked like he claimed most things.

But our confidence is still a little fragile and we looked nervous when they got one back, and we were lucky to keep all three points. But if we go through this season with being excellent for 90 minutes and lucky for 10, then we'll do pretty well.

On to Barnsley who will be tough, but we'll certainly give them plenty to think about, and an early goal for us will get the crowd turning against them. So we need to keep the confidence going and fight for every point.
It's worth watching the full replay of this one Scotch. Extended highlights give a good feel but a lot of our best work was in between those moments.

- Browne's positioning, workrate and covering - as good or better than he's ever been for us
- Bodin's subtle marshalling of the midfield and streetsmart contribution generally
- Cam playing further up, unsettling and disrupting their midfield, creating space for McGuane to shine (which he did!) and being in position to build attacks
- Terrific performance from the defence against a barrage of set pieces and corners. Derby were basically Rotherham with a bigger wage bill.
- Many excellent minor moments from everyone which added up flustering and frustrating Derby to the extent they could barely land a pass for swathes of the game

Oh and something which makes that beautiful second goal even better. A few seconds before the highlight segment starts you can see Ciaron Brown staying high after a previous press and picking up a loose ball in space on their right after one of our attacks broke down. You can almost feel the Derby defence sigh with exhaustion - it's Brown's retention of the ball that then starts us on our way to the second.

It was a *really* good performance

Last edited:
Great result, liked LM's after match interview and his view on the whinging mob!

I thought it was Bodin. He sliced it, and swerved away from the goal completely.
It was Harris fairly early on. There was a nice flick by Bodin to set it up and a positive run but his shot was awful. If you're being really nit picky I think Bodin could have done better with the chances he had in the second half, especially once he'd done well to turn the defender for the second and get on his left foot but there aren't too many negatives to take away from last night.

nope, just switching off from the long throw for their goal really, which came right after we made a double switch. Perhaps it wasn't the time to make a change with the ball in a Derby attacking position.
I said this at the time while watching it, bit of an unwritten rule to not make changes when defending, and it was one of the subs who lost the header (McEachran), although it did look to me like he was having his shirt pulled

I logged in to comment on the quality of Rams TV, it is very very good, I'd encourage anyone reading this to watch their highlights, for the zoom and different angles of the goals, makes the strikes for the goals look even better
Glossed over the penalty decision though...'for some reason, he leaves his left arm up'!
Yeah, and then dragged him back. I don't get this thing about not getting to the ball either, is it only a foul in football if you can get to the ball, or just in the penalty box maybe? Maybe this is the case?

Great performance last night. The movement and control were a step up from anything we’ve seen for some time. A complete team performance, nobody played badly. Two well taken goals from Harris; if we bring in another striker that would be some strike force.

I was surprised how limited Derby were in attack. Their main threat was set pieces until they went two down and threw players forward in panic.

I’m convinced we won’t get any penalties this season if that one wasn’t! The standard of referees/linesmen obviously hasn’t improved since last season. You can’t call them assistant referees if they’re scared to make those decisions.

Bit of a ridiculous point to make but I'm impressed at how close Beadle gets to that Waghorn goal. It's particularly impressive given that he wasn't actually set at the point of contact (both feet off the ground) and loses the split second he needed to get his hand to a shot no keeper has any business saving. He didn't save it of course, and that's what matters, but his reactions are on another level to any keeper we've had in years, and I've no doubt he'll win us more points than he loses this year.

Shame he couldn't set himself sooner; we deserved a clean sheet.

Barnsley sold star central defender Mads Andersen to Luton this summer and their best midfielder, Luca Connell, is out of the picture with an illness.

Midfielder Adam Phillips has now served his suspension for being sent off in the Play-Off final in May.

Back
Top Bottom