Home Match Day Thread 14/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Wigan

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Maguane/Sykes Brannagan
Barker Taylor Lee/Shodipo

I for one CANNOT WAIT until we are able to field this team, or something very similar. I am genuinely excited about the return of Maguane. Kelly offered absolutely nothing today and our midfield will improve no end, once Marcus is back in the side. Sykes was brilliant today. After his spell out of the side, I am chuffed for him.

2 games in hand and 6 points off of 2nd 👀

Need a big response now.
Well, we got this. What a result, in ridiculous conditions. Fair play to Wigan, they really put a shift in and visibly tired by the end. I think they'll stay up, they've shown more fight in their two matches against us than Burton, Northampton and Bristol Rovers combined.

So good from Sykes. What an asset he is when he's on form. Barker the definition of mercurial. Seems to spend most of the match just floating around, not getting involved, and I think in some games that may cost us. But you almost have to keep him in the side because his ability is just so far above League One level. He's always got the capacity to change the game for us. A superb cross today to kick us back into gear. I was watching Winnall quite closely - I think he makes a lot of runs off the ball that aren't spotted by teammates, or that they're just not used to. The more he plays, the better he'll fit in I think. Loved how he didn't do much all game and then popped up with a decisive contribution - very Matty Taylor.

FWIW even though I'm obviously thrilled we won, I think KR got the starting lineup wrong today. I appreciate that a couple of them were enforced, but five changes is too many. Credit where it's due though for turning it around - taking off Gorrin was a big risk, but paid dividends.

A ludicrous game that will live on long in the memory for all the wrong reasons! What a result though.

Now, I'm off for a glass of good Scotch and a peruse of Wigan Twitter, where I imagine the word tinpot is being thrown around like confetti. Happy Valentines!

No way. Taylor works Incredibly hard and looked very sharp when he came on. Winnall scored, fair play to him, but Taylor is by far the better player at the moment.
Not saying Winnall is the better player. At all. But the game was set up deep with Wigan playing a high press, meaning the ball was going high at the front line. Plenty of times this season where Taylor has been running around doing little up front. Winnall looked for the ball a lot more and came back into midfield a lot. This is a lot different to coming on second half against a tiring team where the game is open. See also how Barker played when he had freedom.

Anyway, it's good that we have more than one option up front. Finally!

Accrington 1-0 up at Lincoln at HT.

EuNUe72XYAEeFU5
Has to be said, Accrington are having an incredible season. If they get a result at Lincoln they have to be considered serious promotion candidates which on, I assume, a limited budget is impressive

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Maguane/Sykes Brannagan
Barker Taylor Lee/Shodipo

I for one CANNOT WAIT until we are able to field this team, or something very similar. I am genuinely excited about the return of Maguane. Kelly offered absolutely nothing today and our midfield will improve no end, once Marcus is back in the side. Sykes was brilliant today. After his spell out of the side, I am chuffed for him.

2 games in hand and 6 points off of 2nd 👀
I think Sykes alongside branagan is the way forward at the minute. I don’t see kelly getting into this team and will be the 6th loan player missing out on match day squad when mcguane is fit again.

Accy are doing well again, but fade as they have in the last few seasons?
Coleman, although a gobby sconce git, does deserve credit for what he does on limited funds.

A number of our promotion rivals play midweek against teams near the bottom. Lets hope for some upsets.

I think Sykes alongside branagan is the way forward at the minute. I don’t see kelly getting into this team and will be the 6th loan player missing out on match day squad when mcguane is fit again.
I think until Maguane is fully fit, Sykes is the man to play alongside Brannagan in CM. Kelly has had enough chances now and he gets carried through too many games. We have some tough fixtures ahead and I’m afraid he’s just not influential enough to justify a place.

Massive, massive win. After going 1-0 down as well, that will inspire the boys and add confidence.

What we learned:

Kelly needs to be nowhere near the team. Now Sykes is back firing he can play in central midfield.

Barker is a massive threat, keep him on the field as much as we can

Moore is turning into a colossus

Back
Top Bottom