Home Match Build Up 13/04/2024: L1: OUFC v Peterborough

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that "must win", "most important game" or something of that ilk comes up in every single match day thread ;)
Well the earliest game called a 'Must Win' game this season from what I can find was just before Christmas...

1712852222135.png

...excluding a few people who live in Wycombe calling the game with them 'Must Win' earlier in the season, but that was for different reasons.

I also noticed that although Krypianou starts quite deep in midfield he’s more box to box & gets forward a lot more than Collins next to him. Often resulting in 2 number 10’s. Again not sure how a single DM, like we’ve playing, copes with that.

Cuts both ways though - if we stick with the formation that’s been working the last few weeks then we’ll always be playing with two #10s.

Gives Kyprianou a choice to make - bomb forward and he may create mismatches going forwards but he’ll leave Collins having to deal with our two AMs. We could then end up with a basketball game. Or he’s more circumspect and therefore somewhat nullified.

Either way, I don’t see how we can set up any way other than hung-ho. We don’t have the players to shut Posh down so we’ve no choice but to try to go toe-to-toe with them

Cuts both ways though - if we stick with the formation that’s been working the last few weeks then we’ll always be playing with two #10s.

Gives Kyprianou a choice to make - bomb forward and he may create mismatches going forwards but he’ll leave Collins having to deal with our two AMs. We could then end up with a basketball game. Or he’s more circumspect and therefore somewhat nullified.

Either way, I don’t see how we can set up any way other than hung-ho. We don’t have the players to shut Posh down so we’ve no choice but to try to go toe-to-toe with them
I’m not against going for it. As you say we’re not really a ‘keep it tight’ kinda team. If no Cam I’d be very worried about 1 DM, but similarly the thought of having both Maguane & McEachran isn’t going to stop much of Peterborough’s attacking threat, so like you say the only option is probably to play our own attacking style.

I have to say that as the days go on Peterborough are getting better and better according to posters on here, by Saturday noon they will be favourites for the champions league.

They are good but not the world beaters they are being made out to be, the league this season will be one a Portsmouth team who are nothing spectacular so if Peterborough were as good as some are making out they should be walking the league.

That doesn’t mean we won’t lose, could even get turned over as we have that in us, but it also doesn’t mean it’s a lost cause, they are seven points ahead of us not seventy.

We lost to them away comfortably but we got hammered by Bolton away and got a point at home, we can get something out of Saturday as well.

You would like to think they must be a bit fatigued from Wembley and playing Wednesday so we should certainly be fresher, I think a high tempo game can work in our favour here, I think (hoping) we can sneak a win 2 -1

You would like to think they must be a bit fatigued from Wembley and playing Wednesday so we should certainly be fresher, I think a high tempo game can work in our favour here, I think (hoping) we can sneak a win 2 -1
Then won't we be a bit fatigued when we play stephenage on Friday after playing lincoln?

I’m
That will be Fergusson excuse if the posh lose on Saturday.

I watched Peterborough last night. Worth saying that Port Vale looked as poor as when we played them & they were at home, so not sure how representative what I watched was to what we’ll see on Saturday.

My main thought was I worry about Sam Long a lot at RB. Posh have one of the strongest left sides I’ve seen. 20 goals & 18 assists coming in Lg 1 from Harrison Burrows & Mason Clark. Burrows is very attacking, if Dale doesn’t track him or we stick to 1 DM (with no other DM to help Long out) I can see Long being taken to the cleaners. Vale weren’t attacking, so maybe Burrows will be slightly less attacking on Sat, but it’s a powerful left side for sure.

I also noticed that although Krypianou starts quite deep in midfield he’s more box to box & gets forward a lot more than Collins next to him. Often resulting in 2 number 10’s. Again not sure how a single DM, like we’ve playing, copes with that.

I thought Posh’s right side was certainly weaker. Can see Murphy getting some joy from the right back Katongo.

Be an interesting team selection for Des. Even with Cam fit does he go for a single DM, or double up to cover off the midfield & provide someone closer to Long & Dale for cover. Or does he just try and impose our style on Posh & force Burrows and Krypianou to play a less attacking style. If Cam isn’t fit, does he trust Mccechran or Mcguane to do that same role on their own. Be interesting to see what he does.
Didn't see their game last night but have seen a lot of posh this year and above is a good summary. Every time I've seen them wobble is when the opposition attack and force them to ask themselves questions. They can go from seemingly irresistible to shaky if put under pressure. That impressive left side has been a weakness at times with all the space it leaves. I think the way we're set up now is pretty good. Sit back and we're doomed though.

I have to say that as the days go on Peterborough are getting better and better according to posters on here, by Saturday noon they will be favourites for the champions league.

They are good but not the world beaters they are being made out to be, the league this season will be one a Portsmouth team who are nothing spectacular so if Peterborough were as good as some are making out they should be walking the league.

That doesn’t mean we won’t lose, could even get turned over as we have that in us, but it also doesn’t mean it’s a lost cause, they are seven points ahead of us not seventy.

We lost to them away comfortably but we got hammered by Bolton away and got a point at home, we can get something out of Saturday as well.
My main point was the 2 players down that left side being directly involved in 38 league goals. I don’t think they’re world beaters, but I don’t fancy Long’s chances considering he got torn apart by a Shrewsbury team who’ve scored 7 goals less than that this season throughout the whole team 🤣

My main point was the 2 players down that left side being directly involved in 38 league goals. I don’t think they’re world beaters, but I don’t fancy Long’s chances considering he got torn apart by a Shrewsbury team who’ve scored 7 goals less than that this season throughout the whole team 🤣

It wasn’t just you, it’s just Peterborough are getting better by the post, I nearly put a tenner on them to win the Euros in the summer.

Long is a strange one, he can struggle against some of the more mundane teams but when he is up against a better attack he does fine, maybe because he is allowed to just defend then.

How can you not call this a must win they are all must win as off now wired

If we draw (or even lose) on Saturday, but win the three games after that, then we finish 5th or 6th. That is a mathematical fact (barring any unreported fax machine mishaps).

Therefore by definition, Saturday is not a must-win game for our playoff hopes.

It would be a hell of a statement of intent if we did win though.......

I’m not against going for it. As you say we’re not really a ‘keep it tight’ kinda team. If no Cam I’d be very worried about 1 DM, but similarly the thought of having both Maguane & McEachran isn’t going to stop much of Peterborough’s attacking threat, so like you say the only option is probably to play our own attacking style.

I wholly agree with you that No Cam = problems.
But we've seen McEachran & McGuane together a few times this season and it just doesn't work. There's not enough drive there, not enough aggression, and neither of them are outstanding defensively either.

So if Cam can't go, I'm taking a deep breath, playing McEachran there on his own and hoping like hell that our forwards are on it!

If Cam and Moore can't go, then I'm watching from behind the sofa........

Long is a strange one, he can struggle against some of the more mundane teams but when he is up against a better attack he does fine, maybe because he is allowed to just defend then.
Would be foolish of Peterborough not to send their £5m+ winger at Long at every opportunity, particularly when his 1vs1 defending can often look like an aging dog trying to trap a bumble bee.

Would be equally foolish for us to pretend that won’t work and do nothing about it. Fortunately Dale is a willing runner, but is that the answer when our wingers are our preferred attacking outlet? And then you need an eye on Burrows.

Reality is it’s a mismatch down that side and I’m not sure we’ve got the defensive qualities to squash it. Attack is our best form of defence here, I think.

REF WATCH

Experienced Hampshire based referee Andy Davies, 49 is the man in the middle for Saturday’s clash with the Posh.
Davies - a former professional footballer - was appointed to the EFL in 2012 and this season has taken charge of 22 matches issuing 88 yellow cards and just one red.
His last U’s fixture was the 2-1 win at Shrewsbury in March 2022.

D5y8KFrXkAE7l9F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom