Away Match Build Up 10/09/2022: L1 - Shrewsbury Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I think it’s a measure of how our expectations have plummeted. Before the season started this was one of the “easier” games that would see us top four by the end of this month. The prediction poll at the top of these threads has become more and more pessimistic as the season has progressed. Am going to Shrewsbury more in hope than expectation…..

May get called off

Bit late to cancel that one, I doubt the weekends fixtures will be on.

On the other hand playing the games and letting everyone show their respect with a minute silence and a display maybe better as a country. It doesn't make sense postponing only sporting events where everything else will be carry on as normal.

On the other hand playing the games and letting everyone show their respect with a minute silence and a display maybe better as a country. It doesn't make sense postponing only sporting events where everything else will be carry on as normal.

Maybe, I suppose not a lot of other events include shouting, chanting etc.

I don’t have a clue what will happen though, not exactly a regular event.

Man United's game tonight has gone ahead with a minute silence before the game.
As has West Ham but it would have been short notice to cancel the games the same as the games that were played on 9/11 where as they were all called of as there was notice

As has West Ham but it would have been short notice to cancel the games the same as the games that were played on 9/11 where as they were all called of as there was notice

When will games return though? After her funeral?

“Consideration in respect of EFL fixtures will be discussed with the Government and the wider sport sector during the period ahead and an appropriate announcement will be made at the earliest opportunity.”

My thought - everything should be cancelled the day of the funeral, whenever that should be. After 70 years of dedicated service, she warrants the undivided attention and respect of the country that day.

Until then, I would have thought it would be better for the people of the UK to gather as they usually would, and take the opportunity to collectively celebrate her life - including at sporting events. Wouldn't she have preferred the British people to gather, talk, share stories and reminisce (as well as observe a minute's silence in her name) and then enjoy a match, instead of sitting morosely at home waiting for life to start up again after the funeral?

My thought - everything should be cancelled the day of the funeral, whenever that should be. After 70 years of dedicated service, she warrants the undivided attention and respect of the country that day.

Until then, I would have thought it would be better for the people of the UK to gather as they usually would, and take the opportunity to collectively celebrate her life - including at sporting events. Wouldn't she have preferred the British people to gather, talk, share stories and reminisce (as well as observe a minute's silence in her name) and then enjoy a match, instead of sitting morosely at home waiting for life to start up again after the funeral?

My thoughts exactly. Funeral expected to be on Monday 19th.

Well put. I agree 100%. From what the Queen seemed like, I doubt she’d want the whole country to shut down for weeks. She seemed a very much kind of ‘get on with it’ kind of a woman, and I mean that in a good way. She wasn’t shy of rolling her sleeves up and making the best of things. Absolutely agree that nothing should happen on the day of her funeral, but until then it would be great seeing people come together in their thousands for a minutes silence - and maybe a minutes applause as well?

My thoughts exactly. Funeral expected to be on Monday 19th.

We'll find out tomorrow, apparently.

I don't know what the right decision is and suspect some people will be upset either way. Glad it's not up to me.

The EFL will probably err on the side of not offending people rather than not inconveniencing people who already made travel plans. But we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom