Away Match Build Up 10/09/2022: L1 - Shrewsbury Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it should be on. It will be off for the Queen's funeral next Saturday. I think sport should be on to pay tribute this weekend.

I think it should be on. It will be off for the Queen's funeral next Saturday. I think sport should be on to pay tribute this weekend.
Seems like the funeral could be Monday 19th September. Would normally be 10 days following (Sunday 18th) but do the relative lateness of the official announcement yesterday, a few media outlets seem to be suggesting it will go to the Monday.

Seems like the funeral could be Monday 19th September. Would normally be 10 days following (Sunday 18th) but do the relative lateness of the official announcement yesterday, a few media outlets seem to be suggesting it will go to the Monday.
Ah ok. I read next Saturday but i was wrong.

From a selfish perspective - the next week or so games being postponed can only be a good thing given our current injury list.

Whether it is right to postpone them I am in two minds over - I get the continue and let fans pay respect view, but this is a monarch who oversaw 70 years on the throne and if ever it’s appropriate it is now.

Very much agree with this.

When a usually raucous football crowd goes silent to pay their respects then I think it’s a particularly respectful and special moment. Paying your respects with others rather than at home alone because everything has been cancelled seems the right thing to do.

I also think she came across as a woman who would want life to go on. She’ll be in people’s thoughts and I don’t expect there to be sport on the day of her funeral.
I remember the minutes silence at the manor for Martin Aldridge, I think we were playing Blackpool who he also played for, I’ve never heard it so quiet it’s like the world stopped.
I agree with you, it would be better to have a minutes silence at football grounds then, like West Ham blast out the national anthem.

Truly believe HMQ would want things to carry on with a proper mark of respect as appropriate.

Personally, I can`t face the prospect of an "away day" - just doesn`t feel right and, to me it is to soon, but everyone has different feelings and motivations.

It`s going to be a peculiar couple of weeks or so while the UK & Commonwealth process what has happened and carry on her legacy.

I certainly can`t see any public/sporting events occurring the weekend before the funeral.

I believe that it is the wrong decision but, that's a debate for another time.
We will still be travelling as we would have gone on to visit an elderly friend in hospital in Wales anyway. And, we have hotels booked (non refundable) in Shrewsbury and Wales.
Probably be a Tuesday evening later in the year then.

Crap decision. A perfect opportunity for football to show it's respects gone.

Rugby is going ahead as normal, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom