+++ 03/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 1 - Pompey v OUFC+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good manager though and seems a decent enough bloke. What’s your brother got to recommend him?
He doesn't recommend him, in fact I think my brother isn't keen on him. I didn't ask him why he felt that way. I was on my 8th San Miguel and most of that was spraying out of my nose following that particular comment.

But his moaning is petulant from start to finish and even at KR at the final whistle
Just like Mackie
I watched Mackie close up at AFCW
Non stop whinging and pretending to be fouled. From the first minute.
And I think he's way past it.
But that's another thread!

Although it's hard to judge Woodburn too much as neither he, Henry or Taylor made any real contribution, and even Brannagan struggled to get on the ball and control the game.

But if we start with Sykes instead of Woodburn, and play him down the right we can then free Henry up into the number 10 role where he can be so effective. Along with Browne we should then have more pace on both flanks, and Sykes is also better at dropping back to help out Long to counter their sulky little child on the left!!

I also wonder if Mackie may start instead of Taylor? Taylor was very quiet and he's playing up against 2 big lumps. Maybe get Mackie dragging them around and pissing them off for 45 minutes, before Matty comes on to take the glory. (I accept not everyone will agree, just putting it out as an option!!!)

Also worth bearing in mind the balance changes with the possibility of extra time. Not saying we weaken our first team (no point being 3-0 down by the time we bring our strongest players on), but worth thinking about who might be most effective after 90 minutes. In that regard, might be better to stick with folks like Sykes on the bench, see how we're doing after 60 minutes.

Just like Mackie
I watched Mackie close up at AFCW
Non stop whinging and pretending to be fouled. From the first minute.
And I think he's way past it.
But that's another thread!
Then we have to work Curtis into committing fouls where he may get booked and sent of, certainly dished it out but struggles to take it ie telling one of our players to f**k off because of a challenge but to go up and have a go at the opposition manager that’s a bit beyond what players can and can’t do.
Hate to think on Monday if we win what will he be like

Fancy us now gonna be another tight game but expect us to be so much better than yesterday 2-0 win then onto wembley we go COYY

Although it's hard to judge Woodburn too much as neither he, Henry or Taylor made any real contribution, and even Brannagan struggled to get on the ball and control the game.

But if we start with Sykes instead of Woodburn, and play him down the right we can then free Henry up into the number 10 role where he can be so effective. Along with Browne we should then have more pace on both flanks, and Sykes is also better at dropping back to help out Long to counter their sulky little child on the left!!

I also wonder if Mackie may start instead of Taylor? Taylor was very quiet and he's playing up against 2 big lumps. Maybe get Mackie dragging them around and pissing them off for 45 minutes, before Matty comes on to take the glory. (I accept not everyone will agree, just putting it out as an option!!!)
Or Agyei, he always does more than Mackie. I’d use Mackie to clode the game out.

Agyei is a very different type of player to Mackie. Mackie (for all his faults) does have the ability to unsettle defences and run them around which can create space for Henry, Browne and Sykes to profit in. He's not a natural goal scorer anymore (despite what Sky think) and Agyei and Taylor offer a greater threat there, but just an option to try to open up the game more.

In fairness, maybe Taylor is just a little rusty and will come good on Monday and none of this is relevant. But in a tight game that potentially lasts 120 minutes with extra time then maybe we need to look at ways to get the best out of everyone.

Knowing now that Matty Taylor hadn't trained for 3 weeks (!) it would make sense if he didn't start on Monday. As to Mackie or Agyei - Mackie can drive defenders nuts with his antics but, given that the ref is Darren England, an experienced Championship ref, he might not get away with all his tactics and just be an embarrassment.
I feel for young Woodburn, so long out of the game and obviously keen to get back in the mix. Sadly, mostly ineffective on Friday and often too lightweight for the Pompey backs to be worried. Start Mark Sykes who is more than capable of mixing it with the big boys.
Must, must support Sam long in defence, he was left exposed more than once and it showed. Didn't help that Easty let one in through his legs at the near post but you can't let a player of Curtis stature and skill get that much freedom.
Hope that Karl is right about Cam Brannagan suffering no more than a cramp but I have my doubts. A fit and pacy Cam is a real strength in midfield.

We can beat Pompey, no problem. We just need to out think them and play to our strengths.

But I don't fear Wycombe in the final, we have already proved we won't rise to their antics and get on and play are game.

I seem to recall Mousinho rising to their antics most admirably!

What got me watching the game last night was Pompey this, Pompey that, as if it was a divine right that they were going to win the lot. Certainly very little about Little Old Oxford who were there just to make the numbers up. Lets hope we can turn them over on Monday then win the final.

What got me watching the game last night was Pompey this, Pompey that, as if it was a divine right that they were going to win the lot. Certainly very little about Little Old Oxford who were there just to make the numbers up. Lets hope we can turn them over on Monday then win the final.
Not the game I saw to be fair. Felt both teams had equal coverage before the game and several references to the attractive football Oxford played compared to the more direct style of Portsmouth.

The commentary reflected the game. Portsmouth had greater possession and chances for most of it, but Oxford were given credit for coming back into the game and seeing the game out. The very fact that Rob Dickie got man of the match in a fairly standard performance suggests that it was very balanced in my view.

They are the biggest team in the league, you know? Too big to be playing in this league. Always the same with Sky, BBC are often worse. Anyone else notice the opening sequence video for the play off games? Oxford are just about featured as a micro second of other teams. Embarrassing for whoever put it together that one of the 4 teams featured is barely acknowledged. Then again, we are only little old Oxford City. . . . . . :rolleyes:

I dont
Not the game I saw to be fair. Felt both teams had equal coverage before the game and several references to the attractive football Oxford played compared to the more direct style of Portsmouth.

The commentary reflected the game. Portsmouth had greater possession and chances for most of it, but Oxford were given credit for coming back into the game and seeing the game out. The very fact that Rob Dickie got man of the match in a fairly standard performance suggests that it was very balanced in my view.
I don’t normally watch Sky and was quite impressed with their coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom