• SUB: Edwards

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • SUB: McEachran

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUB: Perkins

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newbie here,mainly an armchair supporter due to work commitments but managed to get to the Port Vale at the weekend.
Literally gobsmacked to see the comments on the game though,did some of these people really go to the game??
It was a smash & grab from PV & if it stays 11v11 then we win the game easily imo.
Stevens getting pelters on here is unreal? If you know your Football,we set up with the left side to attack & the right side to defend with Stevens rolling inside & becoming more of a defensive (no 6 ) midfielder (Rico Lewis does it for City) who will be the out ball & effectively the extra midfielder.In the first half Stevens put x2 great balls in & on any other day he gets x2 assists, does Sam Long have that in his locker or is he technically better? No is the answer.
After the sending off we became rigid & yes probably played it across the back line too much but until Stan Mills came on there wasn’t an out ball & imo there wasn’t anything up front whatsoever..
The foul for their first goal isn’t a foul & if I’m being picky Leigh doesn’t track his man on the free kick,the penalty was down to Cam not tracking his man,Stevens comes across & a desperate lunge leads to the penalty,he’s damned if he does & damned if he doesn’t..
Should never of lost the game & it’s a bump in the road for me,comments-wise - be careful what you wish for… We will be top 6 for sure at the end of the season imo,rant over..
We don’t have to be one dimensional e.g. just left side, we could alternate it and come down the right side too given Stevens more freedom to get forward which may put him in a better light. When we played Bristol City away in the cup, Stevens got blamed for a couple of their goals, when in fact it was Mills/others not tracking their players, so I think since then Stevens has been asked to focus/prioritise his defensive duties which he should be doing anyway as it’s his primary role, but I feel if other players had the right mindset if he does go forward e.g. cover him/stay focused defensively, then it gives us other options. So in my comment I’m not saying Stevens isn’t right (jury still out on that one as it’s too soon to say), but I feel his strengths from what I’ve read about him is his attacking abilities which we’ve not really been able to see may put him in a better light. At the moment based upon defensive duties I’d say Long edges it, but I think Long’s delivery/getting forward isn’t as good, so if Stevens can improve on his defensive duties and offer the little extra going forward then fans may just see him in a better light.

We don’t have to be one dimensional e.g. just left side, we could alternate it and come down the right side too given Stevens more freedom to get forward which may put him in a better light. When we played Bristol City away in the cup, Stevens got blamed for a couple of their goals, when in fact it was Mills/others not tracking their players, so I think since then Stevens has been asked to focus/prioritise his defensive duties which he should be doing anyway as it’s his primary role, but I feel if other players had the right mindset if he does go forward e.g. cover him/stay focused defensively, then it gives us other options. So in my comment I’m not saying Stevens isn’t right (jury still out on that one as it’s too soon to say), but I feel his strengths from what I’ve read about him is his attacking abilities which we’ve not really been able to see may put him in a better light. At the moment based upon defensive duties I’d say Long edges it, but I think Long’s delivery/getting forward isn’t as good, so if Stevens can improve on his defensive duties and offer the little extra going forward then fans may just see him in a better light.
Maybe we will agree to disagree but imo LM has brought Stevens & Leigh in to at some point go to a 5,Brown & Long are rigid one dimensional defenders who (in Longs case) if they were exceptional they would be playing in the Championship.Brown did a great job at LB & if I’m honest he should’ve gone to Aberdeen on deadline day as his game time will go down considerably now especially how LM will wants to play going forward.Sam Long is a great defender in a 4,yes rigid at times but his Football intelligence together with his technical ability is very limited.Stevens is 20 years old & technically better & much better on the ball than Long,yes he will be up & down but that’s what you get with young ones on loan,the consistency will take time.
LM is trying to play a completely different system to what we’ve seen & it’s going to take time for fans to get used to it,he’s doing exactly what Russell Martin is doing & has done in his managerial career (started at MK Dons/Swansea & now @ Southampton),low blocks,high press & ball retention,if it’s not on then you recycle,he won’t go long now & you can see that’s the remit from the side line every game.

Maybe we will agree to disagree but imo LM has brought Stevens & Leigh in to at some point go to a 5,Brown & Long are rigid one dimensional defenders who (in Longs case) if they were exceptional they would be playing in the Championship.Brown did a great job at LB & if I’m honest he should’ve gone to Aberdeen on deadline day as his game time will go down considerably now especially how LM will wants to play going forward.Sam Long is a great defender in a 4,yes rigid at times but his Football intelligence together with his technical ability is very limited.Stevens is 20 years old & technically better & much better on the ball than Long,yes he will be up & down but that’s what you get with young ones on loan,the consistency will take time.
LM is trying to play a completely different system to what we’ve seen & it’s going to take time for fans to get used to it,he’s doing exactly what Russell Martin is doing & has done in his managerial career (started at MK Dons/Swansea & now @ Southampton),low blocks,high press & ball retention,if it’s not on then you recycle,he won’t go long now & you can see that’s the remit from the side line every game.
If Brown had gone then all wd be on one that we have no defensive cover in that slot or at CB.

There is a strong case for saying that if Long and Brown had started that game, we wouldn’t have lost. Yes I know he scored but Leigh’s legs had gone with 20 to go. His lack of discipline was actually quite concerning.

I repeat Stevens did not impress, he’s not a particularly robust presence at the back and his crossing and passing abilities are moderate. He was destroyed in the Bristol City game, played well v Charlton , but again distinct weak link on Saturday. Sorry to upset some, but saying what I’m seeing.

Mills was also a lot more effective than Goodhram and he deserves to be starting. Like his directness.

There is a strong case for saying that if Long and Brown had started that game, we wouldn’t have lost. Yes I know he scored but Leigh’s legs had gone with 20 to go. His lack of discipline was actually quite concerning.

I repeat Stevens did not impress, he’s not a particularly robust presence at the back and his crossing and passing abilities are moderate. He was destroyed in the Bristol City game, played well v Charlton , but again distinct weak link on Saturday. Sorry to upset some, but saying what I’m seeing.

Mills was also a lot more effective than Goodhram and he deserves to be starting. Like his directness.
So you play Long/Moore/Negru/Brown at the back then? x4 head & kick it merchants… Can’t you see what LM is trying to do? He wants to play football on the floor, build it up & then for for the jugular,patience is the key with LM.
Stevens crossing & passing abilities are moderate? He could’ve had x2 assists in the first half & he had the most touches of any player on the whole pitch (98) (Fotmob).You obviously like the long ball game,maybe LM‘s style isn’t going to be for you either because going forward he wants ball players & build up play with the ball on the deck as much as possible.Agree on Mills btw.

So one of my colleagues is a Port Vale supporter. Couldn't work out why my mouse wasn't working this morning until I turned it over...

View attachment 15428

Changed a Swindon supporting colleague's screensaver/screen wallpaper after our win over them in the FA Cup. I password protected it with a random selection of letters/numbers so he couldn't change it back. He had the score and J Lo's name on his screen until they changed it the following year.

On the offensive, no doubt. Defensively, I'm not so sure. Depends what sort of a left back we are after in any given game, I suppose.

I’d say that’s exactly right.

And against a Port Vale side that offered absolutely nothing going forwards whilst we had eleven on the field (and not a whole lot when we had ten) but who were organized and tough to break down…….that’s exactly the situation when we need a player like Leigh. We needed him at Cambridge as well

Until he joined us Fin Stevens had played less than 80 minutes of league football. Saturday was only his second league start. He is still learning but offers something completely different to Sam Long and I was impressed, especially in the first half. It's very early in the process but having two distinct options in this position with a mix of experience and youth is a great place to be I think.

I have a suspicion Mills and Long could be a good combination in lots of games but with Stevens at the back I like Goodrham wide right. Their interplay in the first half which led to the ball zipping across the 6 yard box was unlike anything we've seen in recent years. That chance, by the way, is worth rewatching on the replay. Harris had a defender holding him with both arms and a head in his chest like a 70s wrestler and Bodin was too central when he really should be coming in at the far post like Leigh did for the goal. Tiny, tiny margins which should come good more often than not as the team develop together.

Newbie here,mainly an armchair supporter due to work commitments but managed to get to the Port Vale at the weekend.
Literally gobsmacked to see the comments on the game though,did some of these people really go to the game??
It was a smash & grab from PV & if it stays 11v11 then we win the game easily imo.
Stevens getting pelters on here is unreal? If you know your Football,we set up with the left side to attack & the right side to defend with Stevens rolling inside & becoming more of a defensive (no 6 ) midfielder (Rico Lewis does it for City) who will be the out ball & effectively the extra midfielder.In the first half Stevens put x2 great balls in & on any other day he gets x2 assists, does Sam Long have that in his locker or is he technically better? No is the answer.
After the sending off we became rigid & yes probably played it across the back line too much but until Stan Mills came on there wasn’t an out ball & imo there wasn’t anything up front whatsoever..
The foul for their first goal isn’t a foul & if I’m being picky Leigh doesn’t track his man on the free kick,the penalty was down to Cam not tracking his man,Stevens comes across & a desperate lunge leads to the penalty,he’s damned if he does & damned if he doesn’t..
Should never of lost the game & it’s a bump in the road for me,comments-wise - be careful what you wish for… We will be top 6 for sure at the end of the season imo,rant over..
How dare you come on here speaking sensibly, I can see a ban coming up for you

Could we go down the route of signing a free agent striker to give us another option?

Some of the names that are without a club that are out an out centre forwards.

Frazier Campbell
Isaac Vassell
Connor Wickham
Lyle Taylor
Gary Madine
Jordan Ibe
Daniel Sturridge
Chris Martin
Alex Jakubiak
Chris Martin or Lyle Taylor on a short term deal would be good signings. Isaac Vassell has always looked a handful whenever I’ve seen him play, can’t say I’d be very interested in any of the others quite frankly.

Exactly this. With a proper finisher out there, like a prime Matty Taylor, we win that game. There were indeed three or four tap ins for a right place, right time striker. Harris is a brilliant player and decent goal scorer but his instinct isn’t to be in and around that area to tap in crosses. O’Donkor, for all his good attributes, doesn’t look that player either. Perkins ? Who knows, hard to tell anything from yesterday. I genuinely think our failure to identify a top class goal scorer will ultimately cost us.
Yeah, I do think it will cost us too. Think it won’t be the first game where teams well set up in a low block will do this to us unfortunately & we will get hit on the counter. We will do well against sides who come out to play and leave space but teams that don’t I think will stifle us. I hope I’m wrong but that lack of a poacher is going to cost us like you said. Difference between top 8 & top 2

Although you’ve got to give some credit to PV for this. The first time it happened the PV centre half was literally sumo wresting Harris to stop him getting there. It was more like NFL than FA!
Unfortunately challenges like that never get given & especially not by an atrocious ref like we had Saturday. He was awful.

Back
Top Bottom