Away Match Day Thread 02/03/2024 L1: Portsmouth v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Staggeringly frustrating. By far the better team on the day. Comfortably our best performance under Des. Theyโ€™ll probably win the league. No idea how theyโ€™re top based on the quality of side but they seem all season to have had that knack of winning games they shouldnโ€™t.
20 games and it's our best performance how low have our expectations got. We should be expecting more and getting more and get Burey on as a sun ,Bodin ,Henry for goodness sake.

I'm intrigued, so please humour me here..

Your in charge of the club, you're the top cheese, the man who hires and fires the staff. I think we are all in agreement you want to fire Des so I assume he'd be gone.

What's your next move, who are you replacing him with?

Iโ€™d fire him and bring in Nigel Pearson to get us in the play offs. Heโ€™s been there and done it in play off situations and would command immediate respect from the players. Whether we played well today or not itโ€™s another defeat. 20 points in 20 games, is that right ? Come on, thatโ€™s appalling.

Apart from bemoaning some individual errors I can also see what Buckingham was trying to do with that performance. Moore set the tone for the forward passing and the team togetherness in pressing, blocking and backing each other up was there. We edged an away game against top of the league. Would have liked to see an attacking change made a little sooner whilst we were on top but Buckingham will take that as experience and is rightly pleased with the performance

Hmm....I don't want to be a negative voice on here but to me, Des is sounding depressingly like KR on RO in his hyping up of our performance....

Truth is we haven't been good enough for most of the season. Whatever happened previously with (The Snake!), over the last 19 games our players have often seriously underwhelmed and let themselves (and us fans!) down with poor performances, silly mistakes and brainless play at times. Yes today was better but it can't mask how poor we've been at times and how we've let so many points slip away.

Des isn't blameless as he has made some odd decisions and and clueless substitutions at times.....but we have to accept that he will be here next season and will have the summer to begin to build his own squad and impose his own ideas. He then will be judged more on what he brings to the table.

Sooner we get rid of some of the expensive crocks and players who frankly aren't good enough then we can start to rebuild and find a style of playing, the fans won't accept much more of the lack of fight, organisation and backwards and sideways tosh we've served up over the last 20 games. We have 10 games left and we have to show more and put away our chances.

COYY's!!

Iโ€™d fire him and bring in Nigel Pearson to get us in the play offs. Heโ€™s been there and done it in play off situations and would command immediate respect from the players. Whether we played well today or not itโ€™s another defeat. 20 points in 20 games, is that right ? Come on, thatโ€™s appalling.
Absolutely, Pearson would shake them up ,Des is learning on the job but what a wasted opportunity, next year you could have Stoke ,Sheff Wed and Rotherham down, with Derby ,Bolton etc. And Nathan Jones at Charlton avery good manager at this level. Iam trying not to be downbeat but 1 win in 10 we would be hovering around the drop Mark.

Good performance today unlucky not to get more out of the game if we could actually put the ball in the net then I think we win that game

Portsmouth are a decent team but I think they will struggle in the championship

Aw for Des I dunno I'm not certain he will take Oufc out of this league unless it's down to league two

At least a new manager would then be in place in time to do something next season. We are going nowhere except relegation under Des.

Des will get the next 10 games. If he fails to get us in the play offs or there is no vast improvement in form in the remaining 10 he will have to be replaced.

Unfortunately he was the wrong appointment but there is no fixing that now.

What is Buckingham meant to do ? Not be positive? He needs to keep morale up for a team that has played like that (Imagine our fans were like Pompey when we are trying to see out a game.)

We created a lot of chances. We hit the post twice. We had captain Elliot Moore back (and what a difference he made!) . A keeper error and a defensive mistake meant we lost a game we should have drawn or won.

Yes bringing in a third manager is definitely going to get us in the playoffs
Ahhh there it is - the first glimmer of the โ€˜we told you soโ€™ brigade. Must be hard to squash that every week as the win proves more and more elusive! Great performance, very encouraging, possibly a turning point but the sentiment there feels very premature - letโ€™s see if we can build on this first and play well twice and who knows, win a game.

Very sore loss though I will add, we were excellent today overall. Unquestionably our best performance under Des and to a man we played well and deserved a lot more. Great to see our best side on the field at last and thatโ€™s a performance that restores a little optimism which at least makes defeat easier to live with.

Ahhh there it is - the first glimmer of the โ€˜we told you soโ€™ brigade. Must be hard to squash that every week as the win proves more and more elusive! Great performance, very encouraging, possibly a turning point but the sentiment there feels very premature - letโ€™s see if we can build on this first and play well twice and who knows, win a game.

Very sore loss though I will add, we were excellent today overall. Unquestionably our best performance under Des and to a man we played well and deserved a lot more. Great to see our best side on the field at last and thatโ€™s a performance that restores a little optimism which at least makes defeat easier to live with.

How is that in any way a "told you so" post?

Back
Top Bottom