Home Match Day Thread 30/01/2024 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be fair, I think their keeper let in 2 soft goals.
Think this a very good point. League 1 Keepers are generally good but not great. Those that are better end up at a higher level

With James Beadle we had an outstanding young keeper, one of the best in the country. Although Eastwood is significantly worse I doubt many League 1 clubs have a better reserve.

Whatever one's views on Eastwood being our no 1 keeper (most would be concerned ), I am not sure how you can describe his performance as disastrous yesterday. Could he have done better for the first? Maybe. It was a goal line scramble, bodies everywhere so not clear cut. Second goal, not his fault. Other than that, good handling, good punch and not bad kicking.
Not to mention Brown being wrestled to the ground by Bishop and falling on Eastwood in the build up to the first goal.

Good point last night all things considered, nothing seems to be going quite our way at the moment with 2 injuries but also need to eradicate these stupid defensive lapses. Bishop was marshalled well all night but still managed to nick a goal, Lang was running away from goal but still managed to squeeze it in - so frustrating. We managed the first half really well but I didn't think we had the legs in us to keep it up for the second, but was impressed with how strong we finished the game, credit to Des for the Henry sub, changed the game. Also thought we looked very good with GO'D and Harris on the pitch. Ref was abysmal as per, but in truth it wasn't a hard game to referee - not quite sure what Portsmouth were appealing for at the final whistle?

Cumming - 6 - Didn't really have much to do, did he? I'd like to think he keeps out their first goal.

Stevens - 6 - Not given much defensive support but did fairly well, hope his injury isn't serious but looked it.

Moore - 7 - Ignoring the two goals, solid. But that was some bad defending for their 2nd. Takes him from a 9 to 7.

Brown - 6.5 - Kept Bishop quiet for most of the night but passing was off at times

Leigh - 8 - Like Moore, would have been a 9 but for their 2nd goal, didn't put a foot wrong otherwise and that cross in the second half was unbelievable, he's an absolute monster.

Mcguane - 6.5 - Dipped in and out of the game but was impressed with him defensively, particularly covering for Smyth. Tired at the end and was fairly taken off.

Brannagan - 7 - Great work for our first goal and was a man possessed in the first half, second half he was going hammer and tong with the ref and you could tell he was wound up, a calmer head doesn't smash it out of play when we had 4v3 on the counter.

Burey - 6.5 - Was being talked through the game throughout but boy is he quick, doesn't seem like the player who will be in the game constantly but will light up on the ball, very much like Murphy in that respect.

Rodrigues - 8 - Oozes class, lacks pace but the way he manages the ball is superb, always a step ahead of everyone else. That touch to bring it down from head height (centre circle, second half) was ridiculous

Goodrham - 8.5 - Starboy. Wasn't involved in the first half bar his goal which was a great finish as per. I don't think his overall performances this season have been as good as last but his goal output is a lot better, but bloody hell that second half was a perfect mix of the two, closing down everything, aggressively running with the ball and creating chances from nothing. He's gonna fetch us a lot of money one day, but I do hope we see him play his best football here.

Harris - 8 - A nuisance throughout and some great work for the second goal, he is non stop and all action and his performances recently have been really really good. I think he starts in our strongest side, but will be good to have him at full pelt all the time, which will hopefully come when we can rotate our striking options.

Eastwood - 5.5 - I'm not too sure what happened on the first goal and felt he should have held onto it, not much chance with the second. There was a nervous energy when he came on, if Cumming is out long term I think he's the obvious weak link but hoping he can come up with the goods, been a great servant for us.

Smyth - 4 - No beating around the bush, he was poor. He has the physical stature to be an asset but I'm not quite sure what his best position is, or if he has even been played there yet.

GO'D - 7.5 - Bloody hell, that's put a cat among the pigeons, he was superb. Looked strong and quick and gave their centre backs the run around. Snatched at a couple of shots but one day, one of them flies in. We have a huge talent on our hands, I think he could add something to us this season but if we get another striker in he HAS to go out on loan, it's negligence if we don't allow him minutes on the pitch. 19 years old, wow.

Henry - 7.5 - One last ride for the goat? Set pieces were superb and he was the only player on the pitch who'd have the instincts to follow Harris' shot up. Would love if he could add something for the remainder of the season, wouldn't bet against it either.

Overall, a much brighter performance and a positive way to end and take into Saturday. Portsmouth were above average but nothing more, I think we can take some credit for that too - with a fully fit squad I don't think there is much between us at all.
The first goal Eastwood was in goal for

Not to mention Brown being wrestled to the ground by Bishop and falling on Eastwood in the build up to the first goal.
And having watched the highlights back, there is no way on earth that Pack should've been awarded a free kick at the start of the move that led to this goal either. There was virtually no contact when Cam won the ball, let a lone a pull back or foul!

Drysdale out-Drysdaling himself with that decision . . . .what a complete and utter🔔🔚

And having watched the highlights back, there is no way on earth that Pack should've been awarded a free kick at the start of the move that led to this goal either. There was virtually no contact, let a lone a pull back or foul!

Drysdale out-Drysdaling himself with that decision . . . .what a complete and utter🔔🔚
... probably related to the bookselling, bellringing pompey bellend ?

I thought Harris was an absolute animal last night, did not stop running. Created space for Tyler’s goal and even in the 90th min the pace he exerted to chase down the ball, cut in and lash that shot so hard the keeper had to parry to Henry was excellent. He was key in both goals without scoring.

Their center backs must have hated being up against him.

If only we didn’t concede such weak goals (and have so many injuries)

Going on last night’s performance Des hasn’t lost the dressing room and he certainly hasn’t lost the fans. Very good performance against a strong niggly Pompey side. Could we have won? Yes we could, but we could have lost to.
Greg Leigh is going to be a very good signing. He was my MOTM.
Dear oh dear what was Clint doing for their 1st goal?
Injuries, wtf has Des done to deserve the luck he’s getting at the moment.
Atmosphere I thought was a lot better. Ok Pompey made a racket, but boy I wish they could play their instruments. Loved it when they Were taunting us with seen the champions and we rammed it straight down their throats by equalising.
That only leaves that excuse for a ref. Utterly clueless. Seen better refs who get press ganged on a Sunday morning down my local park.
Will we go up this season? Probably not but neither will Pompey. Playoffs? Maybe, if our and Des’s luck changes.

Probably.

This happened about a second before Drysdale gave the foul on Pack :rolleyes:
View attachment 17668
Clearly Pack has a big handful of Rodrigues shirt and it's not like Drysdale is miles away.
To ne fair to Drysdale he has an obstructed view, the action is too quick, and is quite far from the action or is just sh1te.

To ne fair to Drysdale he has an obstructed view, the action is too quick, and is quite far from the action or is just sh1te.
Given that he then managed to award a free kick to Pack from this....from which they eventually scored their first, then I find your latter conclusion to be accurate.

... probably related to the bookselling, bellringing pompey bellend ?
And I thought that dirty smelly bastard had been banned yet again from Pompey because of either racist language or sexual innuendos

And I thought that dirty smelly bastard had been banned yet again from Pompey because of either racist language or sexual innuendos
That was only a temporary ban Baz. He’s back. Just as smelly and annoying. His minibus overtook me on the A34. Hope he wasn’t driving as he would of been pissed.

Back
Top Bottom