Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Would be surprised if we signed anyone given that the whole season could easily be curtailed - especially given how many clubs have serious issues. On a wider issue these are unique times. For the few born with the gift to be a great footballer every week they have seen golden times and earned eye watering amounts but is it reasonable for any footballer of their agent to expect £10k+ a week for a Championship player and for lower league players to still expect decent wages? So many players OOC shortly and it has become a buyers market. A good chance for clubs to sit tight until there is more certainty and when everyone is doing the same make some cheeky wage offers on shorter term contracts for higher ability players just desperate to get game time? Or pay as you play deals to combat Covid risk - maybe every new deal will move along those lines?

Would be surprised if we signed anyone given that the whole season could easily be curtailed - especially given how many clubs have serious issues. On a wider issue these are unique times. For the few born with the gift to be a great footballer every week they have seen golden times and earned eye watering amounts but is it reasonable for any footballer of their agent to expect £10k+ a week for a Championship player and for lower league players to still expect decent wages? So many players OOC shortly and it has become a buyers market. A good chance for clubs to sit tight until there is more certainty and when everyone is doing the same make some cheeky wage offers on shorter term contracts for higher ability players just desperate to get game time? Or pay as you play deals to combat Covid risk - maybe every new deal will move along those lines?
The season is here to stay, there will no curtailment, with the testing regime finally introduced and the country running through a vaccination programme the light can be seen at the end of the tunnel, the season will stutter onto a conclusion

Let’s be honest getting a reserve CB is going to be hard, who sends a lad out on loan to sit on the bench? A young winger you can justify that they will get game time coming off the bench and might force themselves into the team that way but the CB is going to have wait for an injury.

Might have to sign on a promising player like we did with Atkinson.

Let’s be honest getting a reserve CB is going to be hard, who sends a lad out on loan to sit on the bench? A young winger you can justify that they will get game time coming off the bench and might force themselves into the team that way but the CB is going to have wait for an injury.

Yeah I think we’d do better picking up a young, promising CB from a non-league side, someone who can come in and benefit from League One-level, full time training, and working alongside the likes of Mousinho and Matty Taylor, and then a loan pacy right winger from a PL or Championship side. I’d be happy enough with just that business really

However the season is resolved the points being made about the impact of the pandemic on (non) movement in the transfer market seem to me to be valid. We have little/no idea of what is going on backstage at OUFC which leaves me in the pro-Robbo camp despite the routine over-promising with regards transfers; he does a solid job getting performances from the team he puts out. One bonus for me is the number of local lads currently around the first team: Matty, Jack Stevens, Sam Long, Josh Ruffels, Obita. Feels to me that we are really establishing a positive identity, long may it continue.

I'd prefer the young promising CB tbh. They will play as we have a lot of games to come but they can be brought in and out of the team to help their development. I think it is a big positive that we are talking about a player like Masterson only being back up to Moore and Atkinson as it shows their quality.

Unless we bring in three over 21s, whether permanent or loan, then there was absolutely no point in sending Clare out. So surely, has to be three incoming.... eventually?

This confuses me... There is no squad size limit in the Championship!

I'm almost ready for 2021 - then January can begin. Three signings in quick succession. The latter part of January always goes past so quickly, then into Feb.

Positivity - unheard of on this thread!

There was supposed to be a squad size and salary cap introduced to the Championship but they just seem to have been able to delay voting on it and have seemingly made it go away.

Masterson
Its called competition, putting pressure on to not let performances drop. Thats a good thing.
Yes , a good thing for us but as only a loan why would he , or the Club want him to spend half a season trying to get into a team or a side where more or less guaranteed playing nearly every match . He will be going back to QPR and they want him to gain more experience.

We are going to be playing (at least) EVERY Tuesday and Saturday until the end of the season, and that's without postponements for one reason or another and further progress in the Pizza Cup.
I'd have thought that with that schedule, tiredness plus the usual suspensions, loss of form and injuries will mean that we will be using every member of the squad - so any player who joins in whatever position is guaranteed to get the chance to show what they can do.

Barnsley winger Luke Thomas is set to join Ipswich Town. We were linked with him earlier in the window.

Back
Top Bottom