Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

There's no self satisfaction, but if we are indeed looking at Ben Heneghan then it should be noted that he hasn't played a competitive game since 10th March. Your view (which I accept may have been influenced by the frustrations we're all feeling) was that whoever comes in must be ready to play immediately. That simply isn't realistic and we're more likely to see Mous or Atkinson return before we see a new centre back getting regular minutes.
If Heneghan hasn't played since March the 10th, then that fits right in with our general recruitment procedure.

If it is him, then I of course welcome him.

There's no self satisfaction, but if we are indeed looking at Ben Heneghan then it should be noted that he hasn't played a competitive game since 10th March. Your view (which I accept may have been influenced by the frustrations we're all feeling) was that whoever comes in must be ready to play immediately. That simply isn't realistic and we're more likely to see Mous or Atkinson return before we see a new centre back getting regular minutes.
Our players have on and off and look at the state they're in with a few exceptions (!) Think we are in the same position with most but our CBs can't all play 2x games a week.

There's no self satisfaction, but if we are indeed looking at Ben Heneghan then it should be noted that he hasn't played a competitive game since 10th March.
Is that through just not being selected or through injury?
If it is the former, then in theory he should have a better underlying level of fitness than someone who had been laid up for 6 months

So Mousinho hasn’t played regularly since mid-February, is a 34 year old player/coach and has spent the last few weeks handing in the subs paperwork, because he clearly isn’t yet fit enough to actually feature despite being named as a sub. But apparently he will be up to full speed (whatever that even looks like at this point) quicker than players multiple years younger, who haven’t been injured at all and who have been training normally with other clubs, which means that while they may lack match sharpness they will have a base level of physical fitness comparable to a professional footballer. They’ve been fit and training normally but not playing competitive games; Mousinho has neither of those things going for him let alone just one, but is clearly much further ahead in terms of readiness.

Got it.

Nowhere near. Most of Sheffield United’s starting PL defence aren’t even on 8k a week. Besides, he’s been on £0 per week for the last few months.
Only what the majority of Blackpool fans seem to think certainly believe wages was the reason they didn't sign him permanently.

Players can be very fit, and anyone looking to get a contract will have likely pushed themselves harder than most. But "match fitness" is about playing competitively to strengthen the body for impacts, twists and turns etc. That comes from games, but also competitive training. Mous may not have been playing regularly, but he will have been fully involved in training sessions before and after his injury.

Winnall passed all relevant static fitness tests without any concerns, but once you put that into game settings then his hamstrings have struggled. That's why the club have gone back to basics to enable him to develop the strength needed to play. Rob Atkinson smashed preseason training. He was seen as one of the fittest running up and down sand dunes etc. But in a game environment, making challenges when not perfectly balanced, stretching and twisting, his groin has tweaked and he need a bit more time to get up to speed.

Whoever comes in should be given the time to take their underlying fitness levels up to the levels needed to play regularly.

Have you got it now @RyanioBirdio?

So Mousinho hasn’t played regularly since mid-February, is a 34 year old player/coach and has spent the last few weeks handing in the subs paperwork, because he clearly isn’t yet fit enough to actually feature despite being named as a sub. But apparently he will be up to full speed (whatever that even looks like at this point) quicker than players multiple years younger, who haven’t been injured at all and who have been training normally with other clubs, which means that while they may lack match sharpness they will have a base level of physical fitness comparable to a professional footballer. They’ve been fit and training normally but not playing competitive games; Mousinho has neither of those things going for him let alone just one, but is clearly much further ahead in terms of readiness.

Got it.
Precisely. It's like some are thinking of him as a Thorne or a Winnall, but the guy should be at the peak of his physical fitness at 27 and has played 80 games for Blackpool over the past 2 seasons (which would of course have been more had last season not finished prematurely).

Get him in and he could be starting in 2 weeks, it's not like a strike force that need time to develop a partnership, defending is as much about communication and a willingness to put your body on the line as much as anything, and I think he would improve us in that regard no end.

transfer window has been terrible! made a fair few quid off fosu, baptiste and dickie replaced them with average players on frees or loan and our loan players are not anywhere near up to it... i look at our current squad and compared to last season man for man we are not anywhere near close in terms of quality. The wycombe final was our best chance of championship football for many years in my opinion and we blew it never showed up or tbh looked interested in actually just going for it and leaving it all out there on the pitch. Financially we are probably ok but in footballing terms we are a long way off doing great things once again......same old story

Would be happy with Heneghan.
6ft 4in, can play left centre-back or left back.
68 games at League One level in the past two seasons.

Very surprised hasn't picked up a club so far.
No, he's right footed and can play both sides of central defence or right back.
Just what we need. Would prefer Ryan Shotton but maybe he is out of our league money wise.

No doubt whoever signs will play one game, and then get a season long injury. Just our luck!
But they'd have been jogging round the block for 6 months, so fitness won't be an issue according to all our residents experts!!!

Heneghan is a classic lumpy CB. Won't do much on the ball and lacks pace, but is solid enough at League One. Edmundson looks to be getting sacked from Rangers...go get him!
Really!? I suggested Edmundson last season. Would be better IMO.

Yep! People forget that most of the Sheffield United team was signed when they were either still in, or had only just come out of League One.

Someone should’ve told them that getting promoted to the Championship was a bad idea financially.
If Heneghan hasn't played since March the 10th, then that fits right in with our general recruitment procedure.

If it is him, then I of course welcome him.

Not quite fitting in, he doesn't yet have an injury, that will have to wait until he starts our training regime.

Player registration at the very least, otherwise they are fielding an ineligible player....shirley?
I think he can sign non-contract forms for a short period. Then be a free agent again. As far as I can tell he is just helping them out.

Back
Top Bottom