Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Woodburn is named in the Liverpool first team squad for this season and is the 8th required home grown player so even more unlikely he is coming back

While I agree in an ideal world we would bring one in , we need a left winger with pace with only one place left in the squad for a player over the age of 21 I guess this is being saved for that player .

Do we though, more than an experienced CB.

Agyei played really well at LW on Saturday, and he has pace and power.

We created plenty of chances too, with the forwards we already have, but are shipping easy goals at the back, so the defence is in far more need of strengthening than up front.

I just feel the situation has changed since the start of the season:

I get the idea that the Moore, Atkinson, Mousinho trio would be the mainstay of our CB cover, with occasional support from Jones/Long on the odd occasion when two of the three were out. That mirrored last season, with Dickie, Moore and Mousinho, albeit slightly weaker.
However, my concern now is that Mous is not up to being that third part of the main trio any more, as his injury seemed to manifest very quickly into the season, and does raise questions over ongoing recurrences. This coupled with perceived concerns over whether Jones is ready to be the 4th string and whether we are going to need Long to stay as our core RB while Clare struggles to settle, means that the original strategy does not hold water.
Hence, I feel we need someone to come in to be that third prong of the trio with Mousinho dropping into that fourth support role. And while I get Robbo's desire to keep the conveyor belt going by bringing in the next one to grow and sell, I think it is time to step outside of that for once, and bring in a more experienced head to that part of the pitch for the now, rather that the future. Obviously, finding someone who will be happy to not necessarily play every game might not be that easy, but I feel that doing so would be the best use of that final senior squad slot.
In an ideal world then having another left winger (Browne or whoever) on board would be a plus, I think we are better placed to cover that position with what we have and/or a young loanee than we are centre back

Woodburn is named in the Liverpool first team squad for this season and is the 8th required home grown player so even more unlikely he is coming back
Woodburn has had a renaissance since returning to Liverpool and captains the under 23 team.

That'll be funding the increased losses through reduced income, considering we make a loss most years anyway.
Probably true. Then the board should come out and say it rather than letting us believe were building on last years success when we evidently arent.

No crowds, no income stream and you expect OUFC directors to fund a never ending wish list. Get real. 1 more significant signing is best we can hope for. LW with pace. Defence will get its act together with a bit of time to gel .
Is anyone saying that? I think the vast majority are saying don't bother with a LW as Agyei and Cooper (probably) are OK there. But IF we are going to spend more money (and all the manager's post-match interviews say we are) then spend it on a CB, as the defence looks particularly shaky.
And while the defence might 'gel' better in time there is a distinct lack of experience and numbers in the middle of it - we have just seen what chaos one small injury to Atkinson has caused, and he is only a youngster himself! Some of this depends on Mous of course. He wanted to stay as a player - whether he can actually do so depends on his ongoing fitness, how severe/chronic his injury is. A fit and firing Mous would be fine as a CB if required and would give us the experience we need, but judging by pre-season he is a long way away from that at the moment. If he can't play, then we need to replace him.

It says a lot of the focus of KR that he's now referring to Sam Long as the 4th centre-back once again.

Nico Jones social media continues to back up that he isn't ready for mens football.

Which social media are you referring to? His Instagram posts seems fine.

Defenders:

Clare (midfielder)
Long
Moore (under 30 L1 games)
Atkinson (untested above Conference level)
Mousinho (injured, 34 year old player/coach)
Ruffels (only recognised left back)

Central midfielders:

Gorrin
Kelly
Brannagan
McGuane
Sykes
Forde
Hanson

Wingers / Forwards:

Taylor
Winnall
Agyei
Henry
Hall
Cooper
Osei Yaw
Asonganyi

15 options for the midfield / forward six spaces. 2.5 players per slot. We’re one winger / forward away from being able to put out three entirely different frontlines.

Six options for the back four. One of them is 34 and injured, two of them have been injured recently, one of them isn’t a defender at all.

If we can’t afford to sign anyone else that’s fine. If we can and will then you can’t really kick off at people raising an eyebrow if it isn’t a defender.

Back
Top Bottom