Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's face it, opinions are unlikely to shift now, those (including me) that want him gone look at it and see failings which even he identifies, but seems unable to learn from or rectify, under him, we're likely to need a miracle season to be consistent enough to earn promotion.

Those that want him to stay see enough good performances, coupled with what they believe to be a lot of good done outside of the playing side, this to them means he should stay.

Luckily Karl has won and drawn just enough games to not tip even his most ardent supports over the edge

The club maintain that the aim this season is play-offs. If they are true to that and Karl’s performance is judged on that alone, then we will surely all be happy come May.

That first paragraph is ifs, buts and whatever else but that only ever seems to come up when it’s against us. You’re right, the second half was patchy and It was a great chance for 2-2 but our keeper came through for us. Is it a miss or did the keeper come out on top? Why discredit McGinty for a massive stop? It’s only a let off if he puts it wide. This is the part of the psychology of some of our fan base that I can’t understand at the moment and I think it ALL centres around whether you’re Karl in, or Karl out. It’s daft. We’re a bang average team. But when we do something right, it’s always because our opponent let us or we got some luck. I find that tedious so when I see it, I tend to weigh in.

I see yesterday’s game differently. First half we were excellent - we really were. Second half we were OK, moved the ball just as well with less opportunities to break but they threw everything at us in our weak spots while we nervously tried to see things out with players that aren’t really designed for that. Their changes were positive and effective. Looking at the 90 mins, I thought it was the right result and a reflective score line. Karl made good changes and we were better in the key moments. No luck involved. Plenty of teams have done it to us.

Woah woah - I’m not pro KR! I’ve wanted him out for weeks. What I am (or try to be) is a fair judge. Whilst I may not see Karl as the long term solution to a problem of his own making, I can clearly see when he’s got it right on the day or done something positive. I’m not afraid to recognise that either. I think Karl is a complicated character but a really, really good coach in the wrong conditions - or the wrong club. There’s too much trust here for him to take advantage of. The board are seemingly unwilling to change that - or if they are, they are far more patient than most to implement that. I don’t like it, but it’s easier to live with when we win.
You should know everything is either black or white on here and you can’t go in between so there is no point back tracking now….welcome to the ‘happy clapper’ group 😉

We're averaging 1.5 points per game over the last 6 games. If we had been doing that all season we'd be sat around 7th in the league. You're right, it's not ground breaking, but it's enough to build stability and a decent base to improve from.

1.5 PPG is probably slightly above average. Over 46 games it’d get you 69 points and 10 seasons out of 10 it wouldn’t get you a play off place.

A six game period getting 1.5 PPG is far from reason to get excited if expectations are for us to be in the top 6, with a budget to match.

It’s not being negative, it’s being pragmatic.

That first paragraph is ifs, buts and whatever else but that only ever seems to come up when it’s against us. You’re right, the second half was patchy and It was a great chance for 2-2 but our keeper came through for us. Is it a miss or did the keeper come out on top? Why discredit McGinty for a massive stop? It’s only a let off if he puts it wide. This is the part of the psychology of some of our fan base that I can’t understand at the moment and I think it ALL centres around whether you’re Karl in, or Karl out. It’s daft. We’re a bang average team. But when we do something right, it’s always because our opponent let us or we got some luck. I find that tedious so when I see it, I tend to weigh in.

I see yesterday’s game differently. First half we were excellent - we really were. Second half we were OK, moved the ball just as well with less opportunities to break but they threw everything at us in our weak spots while we nervously tried to see things out with players that aren’t really designed for that. Their changes were positive and effective. Looking at the 90 mins, I thought it was the right result and a reflective score line. Karl made good changes and we were better in the key moments. No luck involved. Plenty of teams have done it to us.

Woah woah - I’m not pro KR! I’ve wanted him out for weeks. What I am (or try to be) is a fair judge. Whilst I may not see Karl as the long term solution to a problem of his own making, I can clearly see when he’s got it right on the day or done something positive. I’m not afraid to recognise that either. I think Karl is a complicated character but a really, really good coach in the wrong conditions - or the wrong club. There’s too much trust here for him to take advantage of. The board are seemingly unwilling to change that - or if they are, they are far more patient than most to implement that. I don’t like it, but it’s easier to live with when we win.
Fair enough, I take all your points on board. I’m still not convinced that Karl is a great coach. I do think he has a good philosophy when it comes to how he sees the game but, fundamentally, I think his flaws - stubbornness, arrogance etc - will always hold him (and us) back. I am still ready to be proved wrong though as I want the same as you and everyone else on here. A successful OUFC.

Fair enough, I take all your points on board. I’m still not convinced that Karl is a great coach. I do think he has a good philosophy when it comes to how he sees the game but, fundamentally, I think his flaws - stubbornness, arrogance etc - will always hold him (and us) back. I am still ready to be proved wrong though as I want the same as you and everyone else on here. A successful OUFC.
I think Karl has polarised fans at every club he’s been in to and we’re no different. I think he could be a great manager for this level but the things he’s missing are really, really problematic for his own chances.

On a wider note. One very small thing I noticed yesterday at a break in play was how many staff members Charlton had going to the touchline giving out instruction, handing out water, medical bits and all the rest. We’ve got Karl, in a hoodie, and what looks like a couple of his pals from a few doors down. This embodied our whole approach to the season - we simply don’t look like a club that’s taking their promotion ambitions seriously in many areas. It’s all a bit too comfortable, lazy, scruffy.

I think Karl has polarised fans at every club he’s been in to and we’re no different. I think he could be a great manager for this level but the things he’s missing are really, really problematic for his own chances.

On a wider note. One very small thing I noticed yesterday at a break in play was how many staff members Charlton had going to the touchline giving out instruction, handing out water, medical bits and all the rest. We’ve got Karl, in a hoodie, and what looks like a couple of his pals from a few doors down. This embodied our whole approach to the season - we simply don’t look like a club that’s taking their promotion ambitions seriously in many areas. It’s all a bit too comfortable, lazy, scruffy.
The body language of both managers was interesting. The Charlton manager personified calmness in a sophisticated overcoat when it seemed the Charlton fans were seeking some animation and passion on the touchline. We had Karl bouncing around in his hoodie and white adidas trainers. Be careful what you wish for! 😁

Comfortable, Lazy, scruffy !
I'd say he’s always nervous.
Some of best managers are not a good look.

The club maintain that the aim this season is play-offs. If they are true to that and Karl’s performance is judged on that alone, then we will surely all be happy come May.
Not according to Tim he it was either this year or next year so maybe they can see we need more help.

The body language of both managers was interesting. The Charlton manager personified calmness in a sophisticated overcoat when it seemed the Charlton fans were seeking some animation and passion on the touchline. We had Karl bouncing around in his hoodie and white adidas trainers. Be careful what you wish for! 😁
I like Karl’s animated touchline antics. At least you’re never in doubt that he cares. But it wouldn’t kill him to wear a shirt on Saturday’s…. Once upon a time he did and professionalism is a big part of the game. Perhaps a sign of the slide in standards. Just one thing he could change overnight that would quickly demonstrate he really values his work here.

at a break in play was how many staff members Charlton had going to the touchline giving out instruction, handing out water, medical bits and all the rest.
No wonder they were so disjointed in the first half. You need one person giving clear instruction and message if you are going to play with any cohesion.

No wonder they were so disjointed in the first half. You need one person giving clear instruction and message if you are going to play with any cohesion.
Fair comment. You get my point though. I don’t want people here for the sake of it. But these days there’s throw-in coaches and we seem very short on numbers compared to other teams… and they’re dressed like they’re walking their dogs.

1.5 PPG is probably slightly above average. Over 46 games it’d get you 69 points and 10 seasons out of 10 it wouldn’t get you a play off place.

A six game period getting 1.5 PPG is far from reason to get excited if expectations are for us to be in the top 6, with a budget to match.

It’s not being negative, it’s being pragmatic.

Peterborough are averaging 1.5 points per game this season, and before tonight's games they were 6th/7th. So whilst I think we have to perform better than that, my point stands that had our form over the last six games been reflective of our whole season then we'd be where Peterborough currently are. That's not being positive, just pragmatic!!!

42% win percentage in League games with us.

Unfortunately he's lost 33% too.

Points per game in his whole League time with us is just over 1.5.

Or 69 points in a full season.

Typically equates to a top half finish, on a rare occasion good enough for the play-offs - but more often not.

Sounds about right to me!

Posted this a month ago on another thread.

1.5 PPG is bang on the money for KR at OUFC.

Crucially, unlikely to ever be enough for promotion.

Peterborough are averaging 1.5 points per game this season, and before tonight's games they were 6th/7th. So whilst I think we have to perform better than that, my point stands that had our form over the last six games been reflective of our whole season then we'd be where Peterborough currently are. That's not being positive, just pragmatic!!!

Peterborough will not finish in 6/7th position averaging 1.5 PPG.

That’s not an opinion, that’s based on statistics and facts.

But it wasn’t and that’s why we’re not where the Posh are.

Peterborough will not finish in 6/7th position averaging 1.5 PPG.

That’s not an opinion, that’s based on statistics and facts.
It has happened before. Once. So it is an opinion, but one that is extremely likely to be correct. We need more than that unless there is a freaky set of results this season.
SmartSelect_20221230_220446_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom