International News Covid-19 .....

Weird that the stats show higher seatbelt usage when enforced by law then
1983 it became law to wear them. I would suggest that there are rather a lot more cars on the road now than there was then.

2019 the discussions about adding points for not wearing them started... wonder why that is? At a guess large numbers of stupid people.

A third of people killed on UK roads aren`t wearing seatbelts...... those dead people not wearing seatbelts..... they are stupid people.

Local "yoof" rolled his car, four times, estimated to be doing 60-70mph, on the wrong side of an urban road... no seatbelt - dead - stupid person.

Law does not stop stupid people.

She caved in to regional pressure at about 1am....... elections due I do believe....and they are in their third wave.
Different situation, different people, different game.
We're in a third wave. The third lockdown is the clue.

If the best defence of a government is that the other parties would of been just as bad had they been in power then that government must of messed up badly, as that argument is the weakest possible.

Least you have stopped on about Corbyn though.
Nininenwouldnbe any different this is new and worldwide and everywhere countries are making mistakes look at Europe and the vaccination saga they’re so jealous of how well our vaccination roll out is doing compared to their oiffle of an effort l.

No our government wouldn't have been so stupid to end the second lockdown before the second wave was over.
A lot was down to idiots whom couldn’t care about the virus and it’s spread. Yes I agree the lockdown was late in starting the first one that is should have been 2 weeks earlier. The 2nd one was daft 4 weeks s**t then reopen on time for Xmas should have stayed shut until such time. At least lessons have been learned or hope they’ve been learned for the easing of this present lockdown by staggering the easing, but I fear if this third wave that is in Europe gets here we will be back to the start of this lockdown.

'Twould be good if we were into a third wave, as history shows us that global influenza infections tend to die away after two "waves" so we would hopefully be close to the end of the mass infection and death.

Sadly, this isn't influenza so that maybe wishful thinking and I can see a third wave pushing us past 150,000 dead.

1983 it became law to wear them. I would suggest that there are rather a lot more cars on the road now than there was then.

2019 the discussions about adding points for not wearing them started... wonder why that is? At a guess large numbers of stupid people.

A third of people killed on UK roads aren`t wearing seatbelts...... those dead people not wearing seatbelts..... they are stupid people.

Local "yoof" rolled his car, four times, estimated to be doing 60-70mph, on the wrong side of an urban road... no seatbelt - dead - stupid person.

Law does not stop stupid people.
Nice anecdote but need to see your evidence that legislation does not increase seat belt usage.

When I was young I was to cool for a seatbelt, then I got pulled over and got a £30 fine, after that I wore a seatbelt as I was only driving from Maxwells old house in Headington to Woodfarm, could of got a limo at that cost.

People apply their own version of common sense purely with regard to themselves.
Laws are needed to tip that perceived balance of common sense in their mind in favour of the outcome that actually benefits the whole..

Nice anecdote but need to see your evidence that legislation does not increase seat belt usage.
Even with "legislating away common sense" there remains a huge problem of non-compliance which kind of suggests that legislation can not supersede stupidity!

"Almost a third (31%) of the people who died in vehicles in Great Britain in 2018 were not wearing a seat belt, according to a report by PACTS, in association with Direct Line Group, published 13th of March 2020."

"It would appear the more we look at seat belt wearing rates, the more concerning the picture is."

That proves only that people who don't wear seatbelts are more likely to die in an accident. It is totally irrelevant.

This however is relevant: https://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/how-has-the-seatbelt-law-evolved-since-1968/

"According to the DfT, shortly after this law came into effect, 90% of car drivers and front seat passengers were observed to be wearing seat belts.

When seatbelt wearing became compulsory for all rear-seat occupants in 1991, there was an immediate increase from 10% to 40% in observed seat belt wearing rates – according to the DfT."

That proves only that people who don't wear seatbelts are more likely to die in an accident. It is totally irrelevant.

This however is relevant: https://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/how-has-the-seatbelt-law-evolved-since-1968/

"According to the DfT, shortly after this law came into effect, 90% of car drivers and front seat passengers were observed to be wearing seat belts.

When seatbelt wearing became compulsory for all rear-seat occupants in 1991, there was an immediate increase from 10% to 40% in observed seat belt wearing rates – according to the DfT."
90% of how many observations for FSB?
10% to 40% of how many observations for RSB?
If you consider the increase in car use between the mid eighties (front seat belt law) and now it proves a point that a lot of people don`t bother, evidenced by injuries and deaths. It`s why they are looking at following NI and making it an endorsable offence.
If legislation was working so well that wouldn`t be needed..... maybe stupid people outnumber the law abiding?

Irrelevant and missing evidence and data again.

I have provided evidence and data that legislation increased seat belt usage.

You have not provided anything to evidence the counterfactual.

It`s why they are looking at following NI and making it an endorsable offence.
If legislation was working so well that wouldn`t be needed..... maybe stupid people outnumber the law abiding?

Irrelevant and missing evidence and data again.

I have provided evidence and data that legislation increased seat belt usage.

You have not provided anything to evidence the counterfactual.

"Over 1,800 people die needlessly on the roads in the UK each year. It was a shock to me to learn that about a quarter of those who die in cars each year are not wearing a seat belt. I thought this was one road safety issue that we had cracked. Evidently not"
Barry Sheerman MP Chair.

It proves you can not legislate stupidity out of the question be it seat belts, drink driving, Covid or any other sort of risk.
Stupid people will be stupid irrespective of what the Government say.

"Over 1,800 people die needlessly on the roads in the UK each year. It was a shock to me to learn that about a quarter of those who die in cars each year are not wearing a seat belt. I thought this was one road safety issue that we had cracked. Evidently not"
Barry Sheerman MP Chair.

It proves you can not legislate stupidity out of the question be it seat belts, drink driving, Covid or any other sort of risk.
Stupid people will be stupid irrespective of what the Government say.
Then why are we in a government-mandated lockdown if we can just leave everything to common sense as setting laws make no difference?

Let's just allow everyone to do what they want as long as they use common sense 😂.

This argument is comedy gold 😂

Then why are we in a government-mandated lockdown if we can just leave everything to common sense as setting laws make no difference?

Let's just allow everyone to do what they want as long as they use common sense 😂.

This argument is comedy gold 😂

It`s a reasoned debate which is the historical purpose of forums. :D
The outcome being that stupid people do stupid things irrespective of Government legislation.
Likewise the government has to consider said stupid people when offering legislation, advice & guidance.

Getting back on track to Covid....... the Government "broad brush" with lockdown/stay at home knowing full well those stupid people will try and dodge the rules.

They take the brakes off over Christmas because the percentage of people being stupid will increase, be it through family pressures or any other reason, and enforcing the legislation is a non starter anyway.

They then reapply the brake, and hope they haven`t lost it going into the corner with a sheer drop off the side..... but at least they are wearing their seatbelt. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom