International News Covid-19 .....

Moving the goalposts is an odd metaphor.

I've never heard of this being done to anyone's advantage in a real match situation.
You don’t play in our Friday scratch games at work, clearly!

The way cases are reported has changed......again! He says crying softly....

Cases that have been identified through a positive rapid lateral flow test will be removed for people who took Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests within 3 days that were all negative.

Cases of this type that were previously reported were removed from the cumulative total, reducing the total by 8,010.

Newly reported cases at regional and local authority level within England are calculated as the daily change in the total number of cases.

This means that for 9 April 2021, these show significantly lower numbers or zero, and should not be considered as the actual number of new cases reported on that date.

This means that Leicester and County figures decreased from yesterday.

City of Leicester "new" figure yesterday was 36034
Today 39 cases were reported to produce a figure of 36073

Leicestershire "new" figure 44043
Today 40 cases were reported to produce a figure of 44083

UHL reported 2 death's.
The death's occurred on 6th April and 7th April.
Total number of UHL death's stands at 1454

I`ll be asking questions later....

Where are we with NHS capacity? This was the reason we went into a lockdown so should be monitored too.

Where are we with NHS capacity? This was the reason we went into a lockdown so should be monitored too.

First up it wasn`t the only reason behind lockdown.
Currently it`s OK at our Trust.
We have less than 100 positive cases in, but almost 50% are in ITU or ECMO which greatly reduces capacity at the serious end that is often used after transplant/heart/lung surgery.
And that should be tempered with us only slowly getting back to "all the other stuff" and those positive patients effectively "close" wards.

First up it wasn`t the only reason behind lockdown.
Currently it`s OK at our Trust.
We have less than 100 positive cases in, but almost 50% are in ITU or ECMO which greatly reduces capacity at the serious end that is often used after transplant/heart/lung surgery.
And that should be tempered with us only slowly getting back to "all the other stuff" and those positive patients effectively "close" wards.

Well it was quite a big factor.

13 people died of covid yesterday I believe. The reduction of the death rate is really great to see. With all vulnerable people due to vaccinated soon, hopefully we can get back to normality.

I've heard some heartbreaking stories around missed cancer screenings, mental health issues and small businesses collapsing. Lockdowns are just awful and should be the last resort.

I've heard some heartbreaking stories around missed cancer screenings, mental health issues and small businesses collapsing. Lockdowns are just awful and should be the last resort.

Sadly true.

The fallout will be felt for years to come with undiagnosed/late diagnosed health issues and waiting lists getting so long that the NHS will never get close to getting on top of.

A long road ahead with paying off debts that have built up to keep businesses and households afloat and the unavoidable increase in taxes in the longer term just to cover these Covid costs let alone invest in the future.

Feels pretty bleak to be honest, but hopefully with some normality returning we will all be given a much needed lift.

Meanwhile at work the Defcon status has dropped to 2, on a scale of 0-5.
That means lists and the normal stuff restarts and the clinical staff are gradually returning to their normal teams and duties.

It`ll be interesting to see where the "cost of Covid" goes and over what period of time.
It was only in 2006 that we paid off the WW2 loans from the US, but has anyone actually "lent" us the money or is it just numbers on a spreadsheet?

For one of the more learned or well read individuals on here (not those watching videos of Dr Fox and Hillary with PhDs in computer studies or something) have there been any studies in the efficacy in the most common vaccines in the U.K. against moderate or severe illness for the SA strain?

Maybe I’m a glass half full guy but it’s starting to look (to me) that this strain is going to cause a few problems relatively soon. The reports remind me of the start of the pandemic “oh it’s just half a dozen over there, don’t worry! We did all we could, it’s all fine”.

For one of the more learned or well read individuals on here (not those watching videos of Dr Fox and Hillary with PhDs in computer studies or something) have there been any studies in the efficacy in the most common vaccines in the U.K. against moderate or severe illness for the SA strain?

Maybe I’m a glass half full guy but it’s starting to look (to me) that this strain is going to cause a few problems relatively soon. The reports remind me of the start of the pandemic “oh it’s just half a dozen over there, don’t worry! We did all we could, it’s all fine”.

Can't find any specifics as I'm not sure where the research is but there is this which has recently been updated:

Not to my knowledge primarily due to the lack of cases. Research is easy when lots of folk have it!
AFAIK the efficacy of the current vaccines is good against most variants.
Enjoy: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n597

From what I've read the bottom line is that the SA strain can in some people evade our immune system and to a certain extent the vaccines as it is. Experts believe that they only offer limited protection against mild to moderate disease but should prevent most serious cases and death.
Ox AZ and Pfizer are developing vaccines to work against the variants.

...has anyone actually "lent" us the money or is it just numbers on a spreadsheet?
I wondered this as most countries have had to throw humongous amounts of cash at covid, so who would have any spare to lend to someone else?

The answer was that we are borrowing from ourselves, or perhaps to be more accurate, from our future self's. The government issues bonds which it promises to repay plus interest in "x" years and they are purchased in the main by pension funds and financial institutions.

When the time for repayment is up, the government (unless it has found other revenue) will issue more bonds to meet the liability which are promptly bought by the same investors using the money that they received from the maturity of the previous bond issue.

While everyone keeps playing ball, it can roll on indefinitely, can't it........

I wondered this as most countries have had to throw humongous amounts of cash at covid, so who would have any spare to lend to someone else?

The answer was that we are borrowing from ourselves, or perhaps to be more accurate, from our future self's. The government issues bonds which it promises to repay plus interest in "x" years and they are purchased in the main by pension funds and financial institutions.

When the time for repayment is up, the government (unless it has found other revenue) will issue more bonds to meet the liability which are promptly bought by the same investors using the money that they received from the maturity of the previous bond issue.

While everyone keeps playing ball, it can roll on indefinitely, can't it........
It’s all just a con.

Bong on.

Most are bought Central Banks and SWF's.

China always use to be the largest buyer of UST's and Gilts.

Jabs are bad there is no so-called pandemic.

Wake up sheeple!

Back
Top Bottom