Away Match Day Thread 31/10/2023 L1: Lincoln City v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have absolutely no idea how we are going to do! I am a bit concerned about the Negru situation I was hoping LM was the sort of manager who didnt fall out with players hopefully that is not the situation here. Would also like Smyth to be given another opportunity. COYY

0-1 just to stop this little blip don't care if it's pretty or not just get the points no injuries and move on to the next game

Based on individual performances Long, Stevens, Bodin, McEachran and Harris should all miss out after Saturday. Obviously one of Long or Stevens will survive as we have no other option but the other three will be lucky. Harris, as usual, has no competition for his place so I suspect he can carry on missing chance after chance but will be safe until January at least. Rodrigues, although poor on Saturday, has done enough to keep his place. Brannagan back in, a change or two in the defence and freshen it up out wide.

I have absolutely no idea how we are going to do! I am a bit concerned about the Negru situation I was hoping LM was the sort of manager who didnt fall out with players hopefully that is not the situation here. Would also like Smyth to be given another opportunity. COYY
Manning said he'd picked up an injury.

To me ,this is another one of those games.
Lincoln are 8th in the league, only 7 points behind & have similar form for last 5 games, bar 1 more loss.
Let's put it this way , we need to find our shooting boots ..

I'm happy to stick with Harris, obviously he is desperate for a goal but he never goes missing and played a big part in salvaging a point at the weekend. Thought Saturday he was a lot more involved than in previous games, he (and the players around him) obviously need time. I think he will come good. (Agreed though we need another option up top).

A scrappy and hard fought 2-1 victory - Brannagan (pen) and a late winner from Harris.

We always have a chance iam hoping for a 3-0 win ,but Lincoln quite often rurn us over.

Here is our full recent history against The Imps -

We have lost the last 3 games in a row against Lincoln City (home and away) however our previous 6 matches saw us take 5 wins from The Imps.
You have to go back to January 1984 for the last draw the two teams played out at Sincil Bank which was 12 visits ago and I remember that season for the yellows didn’t turn out too bad.
We have only won once in the last 7 visits to Sincil Bank which was the 6-0 away win, the other 6 matches read -
Played - 6
Lost - 6
Scored - 2
conceded - 15
And to top it off, we haven’t scored in the last 3 matches at Lincoln City since the 6-0 match.

History counts for nothing however the lack of our scoring run recently in Lincoln has to change and it needs to change tonight.

See you there.

Last edited:
Hopefully we’ll remind everyone tonight that we’re actually a very decent side. People can single out players from Saturday, but with a remotely competent referee, we’d have won comfortably.

Long should play for me. Don’t get me wrong, we 100% can do better in January, but if you look at his role in the pen on Saturday, that’s what you need at least one of your centre backs in a 3 to be doing. He was scared to go over the halfway line against Wigan and up until the last 10 mins against Wycombe too. That has to change as without our best wingers, we will struggle to create space out wide without those runs. And he’s not a very good defender so I don’t really see what the point of him is if he’s not doing that.

Brannagan coming back will make an enormous difference. It’s all too sideways with both Mc’s playing. It makes it easier for teams to mark Harris and Ruben too without anyone breaking from deep or threatening to shoot from 25 yards.

I’d start Mills over Bodin. We’re too one paced and predictable without someone like him. And again, we need to create space for Harris as he’s not Jordan Rhodes or Dion Charles, he isn’t going to create a yard for himself.

Assuming Brannagan’s back and can play at least 70mins, I’d back us to win by the odd goal.

I'm happy to stick with Harris, obviously he is desperate for a goal but he never goes missing and played a big part in salvaging a point at the weekend. Thought Saturday he was a lot more involved than in previous games, he (and the players around him) obviously need time. I think he will come good. (Agreed though we need another option up top).
Not to mention that the alternatives don't exactly excite

I didn't go on Saturday, but most of what I have heard, he had a decent game , helping to create both goals.

Would like to think with Brannagan back and a half decent referee we’ll have enough to win this one:

Lincoln City 1 - Oxford United 2.

McGuane to break his duck tonight...plus a goal from one of our defenders (just not sure in which goal 😬).

Did Harris ever play wide for Cardiff? Would be interesting to see him wide on the right and Bodin up top, Harris is quicker, more athletic and physical than Bodin so would offer something a bit different than the Rodrigues/Bodin behind combination which is a bit samey.

Would like to see us move to a 3-4-1-2.

Negru Moore Brown

(Mills/Stevens) Brannagan. McGuane Leigh

Ruben

Bodin Harris​

That's our strongest lineup and would take some pressure off Harris with a front 2. Bodin has proved that he is capable of playing well up top. Leigh can drop back if needed to make it a 4.

Negru needs to come back in, no idea why he was dropped when playing well. We're shipping lots of cheap goals and that needs to stop.

McEachran and Long need to come out of the starting squad for now. Neither have shown they are capable of keeping up with Manning's style of play in recent games, and have consistently slowed the attack down when there are forward options available, even when we're chasing the game.​
Beadle

Long Negru Thorniley Leigh

McEachran
Brannagan McGuane

Mills Harris Bodin
That would be my line up. I think we're better with a back 4, and when Leigh pushes up to join the attack it leaves a pretty stable back 3.
Ruben probably needs a rest, not been at his best the last few weeks. Ideally in January sign two strikers, so Harris can move to the wing, and a number 6 to take over from McEachran.

I like to see Harris play in a two up front set up, he's not a target man, but along side and playing off one ( Donks maybe?) might see him benefit ?

Based on individual performances Long, Stevens, Bodin, McEachran and Harris should all miss out after Saturday. Obviously one of Long or Stevens will survive as we have no other option but the other three will be lucky. Harris, as usual, has no competition for his place so I suspect he can carry on missing chance after chance but will be safe until January at least. Rodrigues, although poor on Saturday, has done enough to keep his place. Brannagan back in, a change or two in the defence and freshen it up out wide.
I don't think Long did anything wrong on Saturday, he's quickly becoming a scapegoat of the team. I also thought Bodin was one of our better players on Saturday, the tempo certainly dropped when he was subbed.

Back
Top Bottom