Away Match Day Thread 23/12/2023 L1: Northampton Town v OUFC

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What constitutes being a big boy is being magnanimous in defeat. Some of the commentary on here is laughable, you are the only one who perhaps thinks we deserved the win on merit .

I think you’ll find when away supporters come onto our forum and rightly dish out a bit of stick they won’t get banned for it, adds a bit of entertainment. However your administrators are obviously rather protective of their little kittens on here.

I agree the league table doesn’t lie at this point in time I would say you probably do on paper have a better side than us with some quality players, especially Rodrigues. Don't think you have a right to be better than you are though, you’re still a small time club, much like us.

By your definition there are literally no “big boys” because very few clubs fans would meet your definition of being magnanimous in defeat.

If you are really the type of person who wants to spend time on another teams forum immediately after a last minute defeat alongside four of five of your fellow fans trolling then good for you. But perhaps take a moment to actually align your accusations with the literary presented in front of you though.

There are a plethora of Oxford fans on here, the majority in fact, that recognize a draw was about as much as we deserved and a defeat wasn’t an injustice. There was also recognition that we played possibly one of our worst games all season. You really just need to read through it .

So what exactly was your expectation? Were you needing your ego massaged by a set of internet strangers saying how phenomenal Northampton were? Because you really weren’t. It was a horrendous game to watch from both sides. I listened to the cobblers commentary for a bit and I was surprised how generous they were in exalting the performance of the home team. We don’t write our post match surmise in the hope it’ll dent the feelings of opposition fans. It’s because we are comparing it with multiple games over a season.

And honestly, although the chasm between the clubs isn’t huge, the majority of neutral fans would probably place us as being a little bigger than you. If you have some metrics that suggest you’re bigger. Great. Do folks care. Not really. It just is what it is. Just as you’ve always been a little bigger than Kettering and Rushden and you probably don’t care what they think / thought 😘

I’d honestly forgotten the weird interest that Northampton fans have with us. It’s a bit like Cheltenham and Wycombe. A little tiresome and comes around cyclically with no real enjoyable upside.

Merry Christmas and good luck for the rest of the season

Last edited:
I enjoy going onto other clubs forums for a different perspective. Of course you get the usual blinkered stuff but you invariably always get a good chunk of realism and a variety of views. Wasn’t the case on here though, just boring repetitive nonsense about how you couldn’t beat a pile of crap. So I really didn’t expect anything because I posted after the event and already had the measure of you lot.

I thought we played well considering how many players we were missing, certainly not phenomenal, and we didn’t allow you to play on the day especially in midfield. Even in your post here you can’t help yourself and revert to type, forgetting all about the fact you dropped out of the league for a while, a fate never bestowed on us. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen to us though, or you again, so I suppose that’s the difference. We are well aware of what we are and are neither ashamed of it or confused about it. You think I have an ego yet you feel qualified to comment on what most neutral fans would say? Somehow to a man it seems you lot think you’re more than you are, which is both ridiculous and comical. Given the number you brought you’re amongst some of the most quiet supporters we’ve had at our place, so you lot really do have very few redeeming features. Mediocre club with crap support, so I thought I’d give us a bit of a giggle over on our forums and it certainly did the trick. Mind how you go.

What hilarious repartee.

We have plenty of terrific opposition fans on here and again, if you take time to compare yourself to them, you’ll note that they get more likes than anyone else for their posts.

However you’ve generously just admitted you’re only here to troll. Just a bit of a weird Christmas Day activity,

Of course subjectively you might be very good and not a pile of crap. You’re better than some teams we’ve played this season. But in the main it was pitiful from both teams. If you think different and that was good then that’s great. No problem you having that opinion of how you played. You see your team every week and we don’t.

“Mediocre club with crap support” ~ great to know. We’ll keep aspiring to your famous levels of excellence.

Popping you on ignore. Merry Christmas

Bit of context here. We were seconds away from a draw away from home against one of the current form teams in L1.
In such good form that they just got spanked 3-0 by Stevenage, and before that drew with Carlisle who are truly awful and haven’t won in their last 6

Back
Top Bottom