Away Match Build Up 25/11/2023 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

Predictions

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BristolOx

Thought i’d start the build-up thread as we’re a week away from Des’ first game in charge.
Excited to see how we line up. I would expect we’ll pick one of our 3 starting formations - 4231, 3421 or the hybrid/both where we defend with 4 at the back and attack with 3 at the back.

I’ll post more stats later, but it’s second vs second bottom.

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

COYY!

edit: there was a poll but it got removed when the threads merged.
edit, edit: found how to add it back in

Last edited:
I don't think it will be quite as easy on Saturday as we might think. They've definitely picked up and Clarke is one of those managers who will do everything to suck the life out of the game and scrap for a result. If we are fully on it then class should eventually tell - a bit like the Stevenage game, bit of a battle but 2-1 or 3-1 to us in the end.

Looks like Greg Leigh may not be available having played for Jamaica against Canada in Toronto last night and come off injured just before the end.

Narrow defeat
I go into hiding in cheltenham for six months
The forum goes into meltdown over the incompetence of our new manager
This is Oxford United

If Leigh is out and Moore is suspended, our options across the back are somewhat limited.

If we stick with a 4, which I prefer, Brown goes to LB, Thornily and Negru come in at CB and FS goes to RB.

A back 3 works, but who plays at LWB? It isn't immediably obvious.

If Leigh is out and Moore is suspended, our options across the back are somewhat limited.

If we stick with a 4, which I prefer, Brown goes to LB, Thornily and Negru come in at CB and FS goes to RB.

I think a back four of Brown, Thorniley, Negru and Stevens looks decent enough… good opportunity for the two backup centre backs to assert themselves.

Despite all the positivity about and the fact we are flying / Cheltenham are in real trouble I actually think this is a game we shouldn’t underestimate. Strangely more nervous about us picking up points here than Leyton, i think it’s the expectation that it’s a given that we will win….. professional heads and performance needed.

Cheltenham have not lost in their last 3 home league games, conceded just 2 goals and picked up draws against Wigan (who beat us comfortably) and also derby who are now just 8 points behind us. They also beat Cambridge who we lost too…..

I hope we win but we will need to be very clinical with chances presented to us

Equally nervous about this one, especially with potentially no Moore / Leigh. It would be so OUFC to get beaten and then beat Bolton on Tuesday.

Refs for the next two games:

Cheltenham Town v Oxford United (15:00)
SCOTT SIMPSON
Gareth Viccars and Andy Bennett
Fourth Official : Ravel Cheosiaua

Oxford United v Bolton Wanderers (19:45)
SAM PURKISS
Adam Ricketts and Richard Morris
Fourth Official : Ryan Atkin

Didn't Purkiss do the Port Vale home game earlier this season?

Our friend Mr Stockbridge is doing Accrington v Swindon on Tuesday.

Refs for the next two games:

Cheltenham Town v Oxford United (15:00)
SCOTT SIMPSON
Gareth Viccars and Andy Bennett
Fourth Official : Ravel Cheosiaua

Oxford United v Bolton Wanderers (19:45)
SAM PURKISS
Adam Ricketts and Richard Morris
Fourth Official : Ryan Atkin

Didn't Purkiss do the Port Vale home game earlier this season?

Our friend Mr Stockbridge is doing Accrington v Swindon on Tuesday.

I think maybe, depends if it was a typo

IMG_2901.png
IMG_2902.png

D Day -3.

Despite the fact our defence will probably be disrupted and the team will be adapting to the new manager, I'm still confident we can win this:

Cheltenham Town 0 - Oxford United 1.

If we have Thorniley and Negru waiting to come in then I wouldn't call our defensive options limited to be honest. That's two excellent replacements to be able to bring in.

Back
Top Bottom