Away Match Day Thread 25/11/2023 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Des has left behind melting Mumbai and starts his English managerial career at cold Cheltenham.

COYY!!!

Just watched Buckingham’s post match interview with Chris Williams, and also his pre match interview for the Bolton game. I’m now feeling a lot happier than I was, people have said that he smiled a lot after the Cheltenham game and didn’t seem too bothered, I would have to disagree. There seemed to me to be an underlying steeliness to what he said and I get the impression that the players have been made very aware of the importance of discipline. Yes he did smile from time to time but I feel that he was pretty pissed off with it all.

Again, with the pre match interview for tomorrow I get the feeling he’s very determined to get things right.

For obvious reasons he chose a ‘soft’ introduction, and hasnt come wading in, trying to change everything overnight. This, along with the fact that he’s come in on his own, without his own team to back him up, has given the impression that he might not be showing the authority necessary to some - I have to admit, me included. But I feel reassured that when necessary he will have the strength of character to get tough when it’s needed, and make everyone very aware who the boss is.
I though similar @yellowbow after catching up with post 'nam & pre Bolton DB interviews

Just watched Buckingham’s post match interview with Chris Williams, and also his pre match interview for the Bolton game. I’m now feeling a lot happier than I was, people have said that he smiled a lot after the Cheltenham game and didn’t seem too bothered, I would have to disagree. There seemed to me to be an underlying steeliness to what he said and I get the impression that the players have been made very aware of the importance of discipline. Yes he did smile from time to time but I feel that he was pretty pissed off with it all.

Again, with the pre match interview for tomorrow I get the feeling he’s very determined to get things right.

For obvious reasons he chose a ‘soft’ introduction, and hasnt come wading in, trying to change everything overnight. This, along with the fact that he’s come in on his own, without his own team to back him up, has given the impression that he might not be showing the authority necessary to some - I have to admit, me included. But I feel reassured that when necessary he will have the strength of character to get tough when it’s needed, and make everyone very aware who the boss is.
Got to be said having watched the pre-match Bolton interview I agree. Definitely a steeliness there especially his comments with regard the red card at the weekend. Doesn’t mean that tomorrow will go well obviously, but felt more confident in seeing that interview than the two previous.

Got to be said having watched the pre-match Bolton interview I agree. Definitely a steeliness there especially his comments with regard the red card at the weekend. Doesn’t mean that tomorrow will go well obviously, but felt more confident in seeing that interview than the two previous.
Just to add my voice to the clamour I agree. I watched both interviews and I am encouraged. The weaknesses we saw on Saturday all pre-date Des and are aspects we have seen before - maybe lacking a bit of physicality (especially with Moore out) and the stupid (but not nasty) discipline problems. He showed his willingness to change things tactically after the first half by moving to three at the back and putting Murphy on as a wing back. He desperately needs to add some of his own backroom staff (which will come in time) and we need to bolster the squad in January but it is very competitive in the top six and we are in there.

Two additional thoughts:

I didn't see the game on Saturday (just radio) but I am very much behind Mark Harris at the moment. When I have seen him he works so hard. Not saying we dont need other options but I like him and his workrate.

Very interested to see what Des makes of Sonny Perkins and whether he takes a different view to Manning.

But we have coped with both. Stevenage and Orient being the best examples of winning the battle first and then playing our game. Who is this "really good team" that can cope with both? Even Bolton have lost to Carlisle, Reading and Wigan this season. Teams are overly physical in order to level the playing field against opponents they can't compete with talent wise. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but they wouldn't do it if it didn't give them a better chance of competing over the entire season.

I think after the Cambridge result and performance, Manning did a far better job than Karl ever did of getting the players to understand that they have to scrap / do the basics first and foremost.

The best case scenario is that this weekend's game has a similar effect on Des and we win the next two (incredibly tough) league games. Even a couple of draws would give me belief that we'll still be in the race for automatics at Christmas, given the easier run of games until then.

Lose them both and we'll need to see something immediately from the manager - waiting until January to buy our way out of a slide down the table would be too late and would destroy all my belief in Des.

We usually had a bad start under Karl and a great finish to the season - I really hope this isn't the other way round. It would be a shame because it's been the most enjoyable season for ages, especially for someone like me who mainly goes to away games.
All four defeats have come against teams that have bullied us.

Back
Top Bottom