Home Match Day Thread 1/12/2020 L1 OUFC v Ipswich Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you consider that it was largely a second string Ipswich teams it is very difficult to read too much into that tonight.

Stevens looked assured and McGuane showed flashes of a very decent player. Oh, and Agyei was deployed exactly where he should be and looked a nuisance...shame he never got a little longer.

Take the clean sheet and move onto Saturday.

A lot of people seem to think that goalkeeping is all about how many flashy saves you make.

But shot-stopping is only one element of a successful goalkeeping - alongside positioning, handling, kicking, anticipation, decision making, communication & leadership. A great keeper often doesn't have to make a string of stunning saves because they get everything else right. It's why - to use a Premier League example - for all his flash and the worldy saves, even at his peak David de Gea was never fit to wash Peter Schmeichel's boots.

Now I'm certainly not trying to argue that Jack Stevens was Peter Schmeichel tonight, nor that he was tested extra-specially hard.

But I thought, with the exception of the occasional kick that went awry (and if you're going to screw something up - pinging a goal kick into touch is the least worrying screw up for a goalie) that his fundamentals and decision making were very sound tonight. And the moment that Wallop's getting excited about when he did fly off his line showed excellent anticipation. It was a promising performance, and he's worthy of a run (until January at least, unless he also now goes on to make a succession of bad mistakes).

Otherwise, not much to get excited about tonight. The back line and Gorrin were solid. The forwards were generally ineffective.

I'd take a point on Saturday, but then the next run of games is going to be crucial - after Hull, our next eleven games before we face Fleetwood on January 30th are against teams that are currently 10th in the table (Doncaster) or below, including four games against the teams below us (Burton, Shrewsbury, and both home and away against Brizzle). Reckon we need to win half (so 5 or 6) of those, otherwise we're in serious danger this season.

When you consider that it was largely a second string Ipswich teams it is very difficult to read too much into that tonight.

Stevens looked assured and McGuane showed flashes of a very decent player. Oh, and Agyei was deployed exactly where he should be and looked a nuisance...shame he never got a little longer.

Take the clean sheet and move onto Saturday.
Yes agree with that, I’ll take a point and a clean sheet against Ipswich. We were obviously trying to keep it tight and be cautious, as often after a bad defeat. Some of the people on here just sound depressed- if you can’t take the stress, never mind enjoy it, stick to Bake-off

Yes agree with that, I’ll take a point and a clean sheet against Ipswich. We were obviously trying to keep it tight and be cautious, as often after a bad defeat. Some of the people on here just sound depressed- if you can’t take the stress, never mind enjoy it, stick to Bake-off

Think alot of people have just had enough of watching us on TV. 0-0 with both teams frightened to lose is never a good watch. The quicker everyone can get back in the stands the better.

Think tonight was a massive missed opportunity. Second string Ipswich team with barely any threat, no wonder we kept a clean sheet. With that being said im very impressed with Steven's positive goalkeeping.

What I didn't like from todays game... another negative attitude from all players from about 70 minutes onwards. Cost us on Saturday and if Ipswich had anything about them it would have cost us again today. Wasting time and playing for a clean sheet, awful.

Also want to make a point about Taylor as I feel this should be highlighted. Missing more chances than he's putting away. We smashed the wages into getting him over the line and I don't think its come good yet. Hopefully with more service this will improve but so far I haven't been impressed with his final product.

Recruitment this year has been dreadful from what we've seen so far and KR has to be held accountable.

A positive note, buzzing for fans getting back next week!

Ok, we got a point and kept a clean sheet, a better performance than Saturday, we have been worrying about giving goals away, its now beginning to show that we are not scoring either, so that puts more pressure on the back four.
Dont want to sound doom and gloom, but with not winning tonight, if the Gas beat Gillingham at home tomorrow night then we are back in the bottom four.

To be fair I think Eastwood would have kept a clean sheet tonight, that has to be one of the most impotent opponents we’ve faced since our last clean sheet. I actually thought Stevens looked a bit shaky, nearly fumbled one easy cross, a couple of moments of indecision venturing out of his area and there were one or two crosses, head height, that came straight across the line of the six yard box with Stevens nowhere. He had good moments too but I wouldn’t say we’ve just seen our new long term goalkeeper out there tonight.

A bit of a nothing game from two teams devoid of confidence. Far too often we played the safe pass or stood and waited for the ball, rather than gambling on a ball or a run that might just make a difference.

I know I'm more optimistic than some, but I do think there is the guts of a decent team there. We've seen Kelly, McGuane, Gorrin and Obita show some real quality, and we know what we can get from Taylor and Henry when they're at the top of their game. But Saturday, on top of a poor start, has left many looking terrified of making a mistake. Few are playing with freedom, and that in itself can be tiring. If only we can get a bit of a run going, get the confidence back, and we may start seeing what this team can achieve.

Even I'm struggling to see us getting much against Hull, but those of us going need to make that 1000, sound like 10,000 and do what we can to drag them up. Something has to change, and we finally have the chance to make that happen.

A bit of a nothing game from two teams devoid of confidence. Far too often we played the safe pass or stood and waited for the ball, rather than gambling on a ball or a run that might just make a difference.

I know I'm more optimistic than some, but I do think there is the guts of a decent team there. We've seen Kelly, McGuane, Gorrin and Obita show some real quality, and we know what we can get from Taylor and Henry when they're at the top of their game. But Saturday, on top of a poor start, has left many looking terrified of making a mistake. Few are playing with freedom, and that in itself can be tiring. If only we can get a bit of a run going, get the confidence back, and we may start seeing what this team can achieve.

Even I'm struggling to see us getting much against Hull, but those of us going need to make that 1000, sound like 10,000 and do what we can to drag them up. Something has to change, and we finally have the chance to make that happen.

I agree that we have the makings of a decent team, it’s just getting those bits around the edges right. After Saturday we were never going to go gung ho tonight and the time wasting, from Stevens especially, suggests that a point and a clean sheet were seen as the first steps in repairing Saturdays damage. It’s only natural that we were a bit cautious but I thought we dealt well with the late pressure from Ipswich, similar to how Swindon came on to us. I don’t think we are as far away as our league position might suggest from being a half decent side again.

You don’t think Steven’s all round performance, communication and distribution was light years ahead of Eastwood’s recent efforts? I guess people see what they want to see.

Rubbish, For our sakes, I hope he has a blinding stint between the post. His kicking was at times wayward, and he didn't have any real danger to contend with. If you read what I put, although some people read what they want to see, I said lets wait and see how things go against Hull, a team that will prove more of a test, more typical of teams in this division, especially with how the defence has been.

Here's hoping Ole' Shakey' has a great festive period, and doesn't drive us"Crazy"

He did make a match-winning one by coming off his line smartly to deny a one on one - don't know if I've mentioned it yet

Therefore we must get Southgate on the phone, clearly. He's got a great career ahead of him, and just as other young uns' have done, Roofe etc, could be in the premiership in the next couple of years, if he keeps progressing.
A first clean sheet tonight, I can see him doing the same on Saturday, if he keeps his composure. Just what our defence needs, solidarity. Looking forward to Saturday with more confidence now.

We are a shadow of the team we were at the start of the year, it’s a very hard watch at present and the players we have are just not good enough to realise the potential we had at this club we love.
We as OUFC supporters know what our most effective formation is.
* A committed ”for the cause” goalkeeper
* Two solid ”no frills“ centre backs
* A right back and a left back that (a) can defend but more importantly (b) can get forward and overlap the our midfielders to create a threat.
* A box to box midfielder with an eye for goal
* An unsung hero in midfield breaking up the play from opponents
* A striker that is capable of 20+ goals a season
* The remainder of the team work to compliment the key players which in turn improve them to go on to bigger and better careers.
THIS FORMATION, DNA, TYPE OF PLAYER, WHATEVER YOU CALL IT HAS BEEN THE CATALYST EVERY TIME WE HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL.....
Everyone reading this will have opinions of putting ex-players into my above categories from yesterdays past, and every name banded around will be better than we currently have.
I don’t think we have the players in the club at present that fit into the “OXFORD UNITED” DNA......

Hello Wether. I miss tongiht game because of working. Oxford play well tonight and maybe could have won. But 1pointer against Ip switches is a great result. Big club with big history. I remember Bobby on the beat Robson. What a manger! Yes.

I am still aaking fellow fans and friends to help me get to know oxford better. When will the first match be at the arena?
Still I noticed our people down the Fort Wenty lose tonight. HA. This made me smile more than if oford had won.

Thank you werther for being a good friend.

A marked improvement tonight. We looked much more stable as a unit although as an attacking force we lacked bite.
Confidence is low but the clean sheet will help a little.
Oh for a win right now... we need one.

Hello Wether. I miss tongiht game because of working. Oxford play well tonight and maybe could have won. But 1pointer against Ip switches is a great result. Big club with big history. I remember Bobby on the beat Robson. What a manger! Yes.

I am still aaking fellow fans and friends to help me get to know oxford better. When will the first match be at the arena?
Still I noticed our people down the Fort Wenty lose tonight. HA. This made me smile more than if oford had won.

Seriously mods look at the user name! Good troling ya!!!

Will this wind-up merchant please reveal his true identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom