Home Match Build Up 04/11/2023 FAC: OUFC v Maidenhead United

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

West Oxon U’s

£41,000 for Round One winners - not to be sniffed at.

For me we go as strong as we possibly can and make a raft of changes for the Chelsea U.21 EFL trophy match next Tuesday night.

That was the first season I was going to games regularly, and it was just a really weird one all round.

We had a great team, and after thumping Posh at their place on Boxing Day, we were comfortably top of the league. And then we didn't win again for two months; and despite a couple of rallies later in the season, we never quite recovered and missed the playoffs on the final day of the season. Plus of course, the loss to Marlow.
In my mind it was the loss to Wycombe in the first game we ever played them which took the wind out of our sails completely. That was, according to the bible RageOnline, the day after the Peterborough game you mentioned - I don't remember it being 2 games in 2 days, can you imagine that happening these days?

In my mind it was the loss to Wycombe in the first game we ever played them which took the wind out of our sails completely. That was, according to the bible RageOnline, the day after the Peterborough game you mentioned - I don't remember it being 2 games in 2 days, can you imagine that happening these days?

Yeah, I remember being there that day. Simon Garner (who was always a bloody thorn in our side) scored a free kick in front of the London Road end.

I also don't remember it being two in two days......but all the match reports seem to back that up. We played the exact same XI both days as well! And we're talking about resting some players for Saturday because they've played twice in a week......modern footballers don't know they're born......

I'd imagine we'd go fairly strong for this game given we can tinker on the Tuesday in the EFL Trophy.

Is Negru injured, does anyone know? There seem to be rumours he is, but no more than rumours.
Manning said he wasn't available for the Blackpool game due to an injury/knock.
And then has also said previously that he would rather have more attacking options on the bench, than put 2 centre-backs on the bench. And Thorniley seems to have trumped Negru to be the substitute defender.

Definitely trained on Monday based on club social content

That 0-2 defeat is one result that was a real low, especially with Peter Foley scoring

Thought Peter Foley was the Marlow Gaffer that day?

Peter Rhoades-Brown played for Marlow despite being employed by OUFC.

Another interesting game was the one before the Peterborough game - away at Hull City on 17 December 1994. We lost 3-1 with Hull's goalkeeper Alan Fettis scoring their 3rd goal having come on as a substitute to play as a striker. Someone called Dean Windass scored their other 2 goals.

Another interesting game was the one before the Peterborough game - away at Hull City on 17 December 1994. We lost 3-1 with Hull's goalkeeper Alan Fettis scoring their 3rd goal having come on as a substitute to play as a striker. Someone called Dean Windass scored their other 2 goals.
Yeah I remember that, we certainly had some unusual things happen during that season.

That was a nightmare of a day, we were totally shite

Yeah, I remember being there that day. Simon Garner (who was always a bloody thorn in our side) scored a free kick in front of the London Road end.

I also don't remember it being two in two days......but all the match reports seem to back that up. We played the exact same XI both days as well! And we're talking about resting some players for Saturday because they've played twice in a week......modern footballers don't know they're born......
It was most definitely the very next day. I was at wok for the Peterborough game and couldn't wait for the following day and the Wycombe game. After the good season we'd had to that point it was a shock to the system.

Presuming that LM would like a cut of the £41k to bolster his squad in January, I’m guessing he’ll put out a strong squad on Saturday. Based on that:

Oxford United 4 - Maidenhead United 0.

I'm really quite angry about this. This is part of the statement on the OWS:

Families and wheelchair users wishing to purchase tickets for this match are advised to sit in the South Stand Lower.

Good luck with that if you are a wheelchair user and decide to go after all. There are no front row seats available according to the ticketing site plan. In fact, there are symbols to designate wheelchair positions, one for each block. ONE for each block! There is one position marked in the East stand but, that, of course, is in the section that is not open. So, from a reasonable vantage point to pitch level without shelter from any rain etc. if you are lucky.

Further, the original lack of information regarding season ticket holder seats not being reserved is now addressed with the following:

Season Ticket holders do not have their seats reserved for this game and the early-bird prices have now ended.

Better late than never perhaps but still yet more proof of the abysmal communication from the club.

I find it astounding that we can have such success on the pitch, have fantastic plans for the new stadium and yet still, make a total balls up of day to day functions. When we get through the first round (as expected - please!) and, if we get drawn at home again, can we expect an improvement and a reversal of this marketing folly? Open the whole ground and reserve season ticket holder seats for an initial period. It may have a get out clause in the T's & C's but, it has always been customary to show respect to those who have pledged their support. Likewise, how about those with Yellows Membership? Members receive ticket priority for the best opportunity to purchase tickets to some of our most highly sought after fixtures. - Really?

@OUSP Secretary @OxVox both on the case, I hope.

Back
Top Bottom